Milk

Options
So this might sound like an obvious question but here me out. What is REALLY healthier, skim or whole milk?

I know skim obviously has less calories etc. But I have heard and read somewhere (dont ask where because I think it was some magazine in a waiting room) that whole has more natural stuff in it and that skin has a alot of additives that make it skim so that in the end there is no difference, only taste.

Is this rumor I heard completely crazy or do you believe it to be true?

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk. :)
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    allergic to nuts :-(
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    Milk is healthy? Did you get this information from the national "we sell milk, and we say its healthy" council?
  • VinVenture
    Options
    In Norway, at least, skim milk is just milk - with less fat. They skim the fat off of the top (figuratively, I'm not sure about the technique). All the goods and vitamins of milk, without the fat. Dairy fat isn't bad for you, but skim instead isn't bad. Milk with added vitamin D has added vitamin D, other milks (here, again, in Norway at least) don't have any other additives.

Unless you get chocolate milk, that is.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

Unsweetened organic soymilk, almond milk or rice milk :D
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    cow's milk is for calves, drink water.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Unsweetened organic soymilk, almond milk or rice milk :D

I don't drink any of those-- I just don't see the need for milk of any kind.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thats strange.... they are taking stuff out, not adding things in....(although knowing the love for additives I wouldn't be surprised if there are secret additives in all milk unless you get it straight from the farm) anyway, you can always go the route of rice or soy milk. They taste just as good and are most likely better for you..... if you can afford them. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

can the OP get a few answers to a strait forward question before this old debate begins
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    I don't drink any of those-- I just don't see the need for milk of any kind.

There's no real "need" for any beverage other than water, really, but they're definitely a nice treat - not to mention, they hit the spot with some cookies :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Skim just has had the fat removed. Otherwise there is no difference.
  • acballou
    Options
    I'm not sure which is necessarily healthier, both have roughly 8g protein - maybe skim because it doesn't have the saturated fat of whole. I just stick with 2%.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Milk is healthy? Did you get this information from the national "we sell milk, and we say its healthy" council?

anti milk are we? Actually I read an article in a nutrition newsletter yesterday that talked about studies that indicate dairy actually has benifits against colon cancer. do some research before jumping on bandwagons. I dont drink skim milk, Only 2% or higher for me. I have done a lot of research over the years and no matter what there will be pros and cons, no matter what there will be left and right wingers screaming their opinions righteously, I know vegans that are so dead against it but that is a choice that should not be forced upon others. I now people that cant drink mikl for medical reasons. All things in moderation and think about what you consume. the more refined or fat reduced something is the more likely it is to have added stuff to i like salt, sugar, fake sugars or preservatives. Do what is best for you and dont buy into propaganda. remember the Mega Media, eggs are good, eggs are bad, eggs are good debate years ago? There is just not enough data to support eggs being that bad. take a look at the nutritional values of whatever it is you are comparing and that should help you decide what is best for you.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    you need milk for the vid. D and for the calcium, women when you are young you think you can drink water and that is all, but believe me when you are around my age you will wish you had drink that milk when you were younger! whole milk is ok for growing childern , and skim milk if you are watching the fats in you diet.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    you need milk for the vid. D and for the calcium, women when you are young you think you can drink water and that is all, but believe me when you are around my age you will wish you had drink that milk when you were younger! whole milk is ok for growing childern , and skim milk if you are watching the fats in you diet.

Mammalian milk does not have the corner market on Vitamin D.
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The sugar content is higher in skim and 2% than it is in whole milk. So to me, I would think whole milk is better for you in that aspect.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to drink whole milk. It is higher in calories and fat, and actually has slightly less calcium than skim milk. Let’s take a look at the nutrition facts per 1 cup serving.

Whole Milk
    150 calories
    8g fat
    290 mg calcium

Skim Milk
    90 calories
    .5g fat
    316 mg calcium

Both whole milk and skim milk are also excellent sources of protein, phosphorous and potassium.
    Switching out whole milk for skim milk will save you a lot of calories and fat, which will help you lose weight.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    You need milk with added vitamin D if you need vitamin D, or take fish oil. Or just, get your daily dose of sunlight. However, calcium is really big, and you find a lot of it in milk.

The sugar content in skim will be higher, because there's room for more milk with less fat. Less fat makes for more room of other things (including protein and calcium and vitamins)
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options

can the OP get a few answers to a strait forward question before this old debate begins

Thank you.:)
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Both whole milk and skim milk are also excellent sources of protein, phosphorous and potassium.
    Switching out whole milk for skim milk will save you a lot of calories and fat, which will help you lose weight.

Thanks for the tip. I was really just looking for a straight up answer as to what people thought nutrition-wise regardless of being anti-milk. I dont drink it a lot but sometimes I just prefer it with breakfast over something like OJ that has a lot of acid and sugar.