Milk

Options

Replies

• RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

For the majority of the population, dietary cholesterol has a negligible effect on blood lipids.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is just milk with the fat removed. No additives. Not processed any different than other milk- in the US it's all pasteurized the same.

Here's some trivia for you (I learned this when touring a dairy and milk-processing plant for a class I took back when I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian): "Whole milk" is not really whole-from-the-cow. They harvest the milk, take the fat off (so it all becomes skim) then add back a standardized amount of fat. Why do they do this? Because every cow's milk has a different fat percentage and they want the fat percentage of "whole milk" to be the same in every gallon.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is just milk with the fat removed. No additives. Not processed any different than other milk- in the US it's all pasteurized the same.

Here's some trivia for you (I learned this when touring a dairy and milk-processing plant for a class I took back when I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian): "Whole milk" is not really whole-from-the-cow. They harvest the milk, take the fat off (so it all becomes skim) then add back a standardized amount of fat. Why do they do this? Because every cow's milk has a different fat percentage and they want the fat percentage of "whole milk" to be the same in every gallon.

How nifty! I love fun facts!
  • LabRat529
    Options
    And good gravy on the almond milk > cow's milk claim.

There is nothing inherently wrong with cow's milk unless you're lactose intolerant. It's just proteins and sugars and fats. If you're worried about hormones and antibiotics, there's organic milk from cows that haven't been treated with that stuff. If you're worried about the ethics of consuming animal products, then that's fine, go vegan. But at least be honest about it and don't try to twist science to fit your own personal bias.

I get so tired of the proselytizing.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Not when you buy it right from the farmer :)
  • Rilke
    Options

For the majority of the population, dietary cholesterol has a negligible effect on blood lipids.

This is probably the #1 nutrition fact I wish everyone would get through their heads. So tired of repeated myths :/
  • LabRat529
    Options

True :)

But in the grocery store, it's all 3.5% milk fat (if I remember right).
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

Yum, e. coli.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SOY MILK. I always feel sluggish when I have dairy. And chocolate almond milk ice cold is one of my FAVORITE treats. I'm not against milk but we are the only animal that continues to drink another animals milk.......not to mention all the crazy antibiotics they give the cows to prevent sickness.

nicely said ;)
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Yum, e. coli.

If you're worried about E. Coli then you probably shouldn't be drinking any milk
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    And good gravy on the almond milk > cow's milk claim.

There is nothing inherently wrong with cow's milk unless you're lactose intolerant. It's just proteins and sugars and fats.

And growth hormones. And whatever else they put in the cows to make them produce more milk.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    [
    And growth hormones. And whatever else they put in the cows to make them produce more milk.
    [/quote]

I have to say something about this one....I believe in the freedom of choice and wont shun anyone for their choices. We produce milk on our farm. HORMONE FREE. ANTIBIOTIC FREE. Cant vouch for others, or Big Ag farms, but we do not. Nor do we believe in it. They are NOT all the same. And I apologize for going off your original question, OP. :)
  • Rilke
    Options

Yum, e. coli.

Please educate yourself before spouting junk. While there is a greater chance of E. coli being present in raw milk than in pasteurized milk, *no* milk has ever been responsible for a large-scale E. coli outbreak (like, say, improperly handled beef has). Raw milk purchased from diligent farmers who handle their animals and products correctly should have no problems.

Anyway, if you had read my other post, you would have seen that I drink lightly pasteurized milk.
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    [

I have to say something about this one....I believe in the freedom of choice and wont shun anyone for their choices. We produce milk on our farm. HORMONE FREE. ANTIBIOTIC FREE. Cant vouch for others, or Big Ag farms, but we do not. Nor do we believe in it. They are NOT all the same.
    [/quote]

Mlik is Milk

Certified hormone free, antibiotic free milk is not milk. You're right. The OP, and most of this thread talk about "Milk", and most people should assume milk = milk + hormones + antibiotics. (Just like you should assume produce is not organic, unless its labeled organic.)
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Oh no ... not another milk debate ... *smashing head on desk* ...
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MILK!!!!! AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT!!!!! MILK FROM A COW!!!!!! YIPEEEE FOR MILK!!!!

MILK LOVERS UNITE!

I like 1% personally :)
    and chocolate chip cookies warm from the oven, along WITH my milk!

nummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a tasty beverage in its own right, but I don't really consider it a milk substitute because it has almost no protein. I've developed a slight degree of lactose intolerance as I've gotten older (nearly everyone in my family has it to some degree, so I'm not surprised) and found that soy milk is my replacement of choice. Slightly fewer calories and grams of sugar per cup, healthy unsaturated fats, and 8g of protein.
  • Rilke
    Options
    I LOVE MILK!!!!! AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT!!!!! MILK FROM A COW!!!!!! YIPEEEE FOR MILK!!!!

MILK LOVERS UNITE!

I like 1% personally :)
    and chocolate chip cookies warm from the oven, along WITH my milk!

nummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!

Now I want warm cookies. . . .
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Doubt there will ever be agreement on this topic! :tongue: To each his own.

We get our milk straight from the farm - where it's tested more than the milk in the stores!

I let the cream come to the top, take it off to make butter and buttermilk. Now, I've got a lowfat version of raw milk with all the good stuff still there. We also make our own yogurt from this milk and it's delicious! Don't think we'll ever drink store bought milk again on a regular basis.

(I've also read that some people who are lactose intolerant can tolerate raw milk because of the natural enzymes that are still there.)