Milk

Options

Replies

• savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    cow's milk is for calves, drink water.

can the OP get a few answers to a strait forward question before this old debate begins

No kidding! Whether or not you drink cow's milk is a personal choice. If it makes YOU sick, that doesn't mean it makes other people sick. LEAVE IT!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    There is no reason to drink whole milk. It is higher in calories and fat, and actually has slightly less calcium than skim milk. Let’s take a look at the nutrition facts per 1 cup serving.

Whole Milk
    150 calories
    8g fat
    290 mg calcium

Skim Milk
    90 calories
    .5g fat
    316 mg calcium

Both whole milk and skim milk are also excellent sources of protein, phosphorous and potassium.
    Switching out whole milk for skim milk will save you a lot of calories and fat, which will help you lose weight.

Thanks for this! And for answering the OP's question... and not getting in their face about what you think is right or wrong.
  • 1girlcook
    1girlcook Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SOY MILK. I always feel sluggish when I have dairy. And chocolate almond milk ice cold is one of my FAVORITE treats. I'm not against milk but we are the only animal that continues to drink another animals milk.......not to mention all the crazy antibiotics they give the cows to prevent sickness.
  • jchudon
    jchudon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Milk's got an incredible protein to calories ratio. The kind you wish to drink should only be directed by your desired calories input and / or taste ;)

Since we're all here to shread some fat, I'd say go for the 1% :)
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like coconut and skim milk, getting ready to try almond milk.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    you need milk for the vid. D and for the calcium, women when you are young you think you can drink water and that is all, but believe me when you are around my age you will wish you had drink that milk when you were younger! whole milk is ok for growing childern , and skim milk if you are watching the fats in you diet.

There are better sources of calcium like legumes, leafy greens (spinach, kale, collards, broccoli) and even whole grains. There is no vitamin D in milk, they add it. 15 mins of sunlight per day will get your vitamin D production going, but it's added to most processed foods anyway.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    As far as I know there is nothing bad about skim milk. I tend to drink 1% because I think its yummier. As to the "only drink water" stuff, chill out. There is no question that is milk is good for you, has protein, calcium and vitamins. Its not soda which is empty (albeit delicous) calories.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    No kidding! Whether or not you drink cow's milk is a personal choice. If it makes YOU sick, that doesn't mean it makes other people sick. LEAVE IT!

Generally, personal choices stop being "personal" when they involve other sentient beings.

Really, this thread is pretty tame, but I do think it's funny that the mere mention of milk alternatives, etc. makes people think that others are "in their face" about it.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk. :)

So much agree! It is delicious, light, healthy, and it is amazing. I find dairy makes me break out, and this is a great alternative for me.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MILK!!!!! AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO SAY IT!!!!! MILK FROM A COW!!!!!! YIPEEEE FOR MILK!!!!
  • Maximus0005
    Maximus0005 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Since we're all here to shread some fat, I'd say go for the 1% :)

Probably a good call for me. I thoroughly enjoy milk in the morning so maybe not going all the way down to skim will help me drink it in moderation. I know when I drink skim I tend to drink a lot because of its much thinner consistency. I feel like it's a catch 22 because the lower the fat content the more I drink, and vice versa so it seems in the end to even out. I will just have to push myself to make sure to moderate it with a lower fat content.

It kind of stinks because I am allergic to nuts so I can't try almond milk. But I think I'll give coconut a try (it's a fruit not a nut :-) ) although I know for me it won't be able to substitute regular milk.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    It kind of stinks because I am allergic to nuts so I can't try almond milk. But I think I'll give coconut a try (it's a fruit not a nut :-) ) although I know for me it won't be able to substitute regular milk.

Try not to think of it as a substitute for regular milk, and enjoy it for its own delicious taste and texture! It's wonderful and creamy, and at 50 cals per cup, it's a great deal calorie-wise.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to drink whole milk.

Absolutes are always wrong.

Milk Ingestion Stimulates Net Muscle Protein Synthesis following Resistance Exercise

ELLIOT, TABATHA A.; CREE, MELANIE G.; SANFORD, ARTHUR P.; WOLFE, ROBERT R.; TIPTON, KEVIN D.
    Collapse Box
    Abstract

Purpose: Previous studies have examined the response of muscle protein to resistance exercise and nutrient ingestion. Net muscle protein synthesis results from the combination of resistance exercise and amino acid intake. No study has examined the response of muscle protein to ingestion of protein in the context of a food. This study was designed to determine the response of net muscle protein balance following resistance exercise to ingestion of nutrients as components of milk.

Method: Three groups of volunteers ingested one of three milk drinks each: 237 g of fat-free milk (FM), 237 g of whole milk (WM), and 393 g of fat-free milk isocaloric with the WM (IM). Milk was ingested 1 h following a leg resistance exercise routine. Net muscle protein balance was determined by measuring amino acid balance across the leg.

Results: Arterial concentrations of representative amino acids increased in response to milk ingestion. Threonine balance and phenylalanine balance were both > 0 following milk ingestion. Net amino acid uptake for threonine was 2.8-fold greater (P < 0.05) for WM than for FM. Mean uptake of phenylalanine was 80 and 85% greater for WM and IM, respectively, than for FM, but not statistically different. Threonine uptake relative to ingested was significantly (P < 0.05) higher for WM (21 ± 6%) than FM (11 ± 5%), but not IM (12 ± 3%). Mean phenylalanine uptake/ingested also was greatest for WM, but not significantly.

Conclusions: Ingestion of milk following resistance exercise results in phenylalanine and threonine uptake, representative of net muscle protein synthesis. These results suggest that whole milk may have increased utilization of available amino acids for protein synthesis.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Milk is healthy? Did you get this information from the national "we sell milk, and we say its healthy" council?

This pretty much sums it up. I have grown up on the stuff but since cutting it almost out of my diet now I am feeling way better! I've subbed in plain almond milk now for times when I still need milk.
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    Take Tums for calcium. 2 Tablets is 10 calories and 80% of your DV of calcium.

Personally I use light vanilla soy milk in my cereal. The taste is great (personal opinion), and its nutritional numbers are hands down better than any cow milk (fact).
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sbiesel. Don't know how to do the quote thing so just agreeing to an extent.

I drink skim milk (organic) and I drink it because I like it and I want some calcium which I know I also get through a lot of other things I eat. For me..I notice when I consume milk and yogurt my waist line wittles away quicker then when I don't (I'm not talking scale I'm talking actual measurements).

Whatever the controversy on any single subject you can always find what you're looking for, it just depends on who YOU agree with!

If you like it then drink it period! Just make sure you log it and you're good 2 go!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Milk- it doesn't do a body good. It creates an acidic environment in your body which actually leaches calcium from your bones in an attempt to alkalize the body. Countries that consume the highest rates of dairy products have the highest rates of osteoporosis. Calcium from plants is much easier for the body to absorb.

Plus up to 400 million pus cells allowed in every litre as a result of diseased animals...mmmm healthy.

Our bodies don't produce the enzymes to process lactose after age two... all beings are only meant to drink milk during infancy. So this creates all kinds of havoc on our bodies that we don't even realize- some people are more sensitive than others (lactose intolerant) but really we are all lactose intolerant.

Not to mention, if you don't drink organic milk, it has all sorts of hormones and pesticides in it.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I drink organic 1% or 2% if I can't get 1%. I'm Lactose intolerant, so my choices are limited to lactose free milk. Dairy is a required part of the diet my doctor put me on for my HBP. It's a great source of calcium, protein, and potassium all of which I am regularly deficient in.

The only reasons I don't drink whole milk are because I think it tastes awful and it adds calories I don't need or want.

I really couldn't care less about the milk wars peeing contest that is jumping off in this thread. I think a lot of folks here just like to argue for argument's sake.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I only use whole milk -- unhomogenized when possible, and only lightly pasteurized. The calcium, vitamin D, etc. in whole milk are real, not synthesized and added.

I don't really care that whole milk is higher in calories, fat, etc. My philosophy is to stick with food that is closest to its unadulterated state from nature.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cups of 1% milk every day, and have managed to *somehow* lose a ton of weight. Guess it must be awful for me. This 3rd eye that's growing out of my forehead is the proof.

Lighten up.

If you like it, and you're not allergic or lactose intolerant, drink it. If you don't like it, don't drink it.