Starvation mode- I'll probably regret posting...

Options

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude..but if you don't think it's harmful, then try it. What's the point in asking people about it. the way you presented it sounds like you have your mind made up. How is anybody going to change your mind about it?

So if I don't think shooting myself in the foot is harmful, I should try it?
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    My goal is set to 1200 calories a day but I focus on a weekly goal (can see this on phone) - it means I can go over some days and under others and seems to work well. I also eat back all my exercise calories including those from walking as I don't want to eat too little. Maybe that would work for you?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I don't get it.
    (and please don't give me some article that is a million pages long because I won't read it).
    Can someone please explain to me in plain english what the big deal is?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ladyhawk00/view/starvation-mode-how-it-works-98802
    I know the HCG diet only allows 500 calories a day. So why is THAT ok but eating less then 1,200 calories without the HCG/etc isnt?
    It isn't okay. Very Low Cal Diets are only recommended for the morbidly obese, and under a doctor's supervision.

UCLA (http://rfoweightloss.med.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=32)

"A VLCD is primarily for severely or morbidly obese individuals who must lose or wish to lose large amounts of weight as rapidly as possible in a safe manner. "

National Institutes of Health (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/low_calorie.htm)

"VLCDs are designed to produce rapid weight loss at the start of a weight-loss program in patients with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 and significant comorbidities."

"Use of VLCDs in patients with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical conditions due to overweight, such as high blood pressure."

"Many patients on a VLCD for 4 to 16 weeks report minor side effects such as fatigue, constipation, nausea, or diarrhea. These conditions usually improve within a few weeks and rarely prevent patients from completing the program. The most common serious side effect is gallstone formation. Gallstones, which often develop in people who are obese, especially women, are even more common during rapid weight loss. Research indicates that rapid weight loss may increase cholesterol levels in the gallbladder and decrease its ability to contract and expel bile. Some medicines can prevent gallstone formation during rapid weight loss. Your health care provider can determine if these medicines are appropriate for you"

"Studies show that the long-term results of VLCDs vary widely, but weight regain is common."

"In addition, VLCDs may be no more effective than less severe dietary restrictions in the long run. Studies have shown that following a diet of approximately 800 to 1,000 calories produces weight loss similar to that seen with VLCDs."

"For most people who are obese, their condition is long-term and requires a lifetime of attention even after formal weight-loss treatment ends. Therefore, health care providers should encourage patients who are obese to commit to permanent changes of healthier eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food"

WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/low-calorie-diets)

"Very low-calorie diets are generally safe when used under proper medical supervision in people with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use of VLCDs in people with a BMI of 27 to 30 should be reserved for those who have medical complications resulting from their obesity."

"To be healthy, we need a balance of foods from different food groups. It's quite difficult to get good nutrition in as few as 800 calories (even a dietitian would have trouble doing this), especially if one eats the same foods day after day."

"Also, once you go off the diet, you will likely regain your weight unless you change your lifestyle and commit to healthy eating, regular physical activity, and an improved outlook about food. By sticking to a long-term commitment, you can prevent your weight from drifting back up the scale."

Check out the Unofficial MFP FAQ for answers to other questions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    Ok...I seen a different article saying it was. But didnt see the one from fda.gov.......

I stand corrected. But my argument still stands. Why do I "have" to eat if I'm not hungry?
    1200 is just a number. If you eat 1199 calories you wont be starving, just like eating 1201 won't make you fat. If you're eating mostly fruits and veggies, you will have a hard time getting 1200 calories because you will be very full but you'll have lots of nutrients in your diet. If you're eating lots of processed foods and still can't hit 1200 you're probably missing some key nutrients. Focus on quality of nutrients instead of quantity of calories.

This makes it pretty clear.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    1200 is just a number. If you eat 1199 calories you wont be starving, just like eating 1201 won't make you fat. If you're eating mostly fruits and veggies, you will have a hard time getting 1200 calories because you will be very full but you'll have lots of nutrients in your diet. If you're eating lots of processed foods and still can't hit 1200 you're probably missing some key nutrients. Focus on quality of nutrients instead of quantity of calories.

Well said lady.

Both of the above. 1200 is a guideline, based on activity level, age, sex etc, it means different things to different folks. The 500 calorie a day limit is normally for those extremely obese people to get them jumpstarted and see results quickly. They increase their caloric intake as their weight goes down. Don't be afraid to read and research your questions, it is a good way to get multiple opinions and find out what is best for you. QUALITY of nutrition and activity (exercise) is the key to good health and fitness, NEVER a fad diet!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    See I don't believe it is all about the number either. It's the value of the food you are putting in your body. 1200 cals of junk food or 1200 cals of nutrient packed food. Natural sugar (fruits and veggies) are better for you than refined sugars. It does you well to eat well versus mindless eating. It's about being mindful of what you eat. Certain bodies can eat certain foods and calorie needs are different for each body which are like individual finger prints. I only gain weight if I eat more than 1200 cals in a day when I start to get into shape. When I get down to goal weight of about 115lbs. I can eat at 1200. Eating back cals doesn't work for my body unless I am at a lower weight. But that is my individual body. How some eat them back and lose I don't understand, but then that is their body. I can't expect a diabetic to eat the same as everyone else and neither an elderly person. Were all different so it really comes down to individual and your specific needs. What is good for one person is not good necessarily for another. 1 glass of wine is good for some but you wouldn't ask an alcoholic or a toddler to do this. So needs are different for each. I hope you find the answers you are seeking. Have a blessed journey.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude..but if you don't think it's harmful, then try it. What's the point in asking people about it. the way you presented it sounds like you have your mind made up. How is anybody going to change your mind about it?

If u have your mind made up we can'rt change. That's all I am saying.
  • jennajava
    Options

This is true. But, since she's asking advice, her mind probably isn't made up.
  • getitamb
    Options

I can tell this is going nowhere so I am ending it.

• krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    1200 is just a number. But I do think that it depends on your body size. I'm 5'2" and 125lbs. I do not really need that many calories to keep my body going except on days with heavy exercise. I have been losing eating between 1000-1250 calories and haven't fallen into the dreaded "Starvation mode" Although maybe one day every week or two I will go over any have 1500-1800.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

It's not our job to change minds but rather give info. point the way and empower people to be victorious. The only person I know of to change a heart or mind is God himself, of which I am not. But I do agree that we are incapable of changing only encouraging.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Some people ask for advice, but then listens to nothing
  • getitamb
    Options

[/quote I quoted that wrong but I guess that's what I get for being a smarta**.
  • jennajava
    Options

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was anything to end. :flowerforyou:
  • jennajava
    Options

Some people ask for advice, but then listens to nothing

I'm so one of those people! haha!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Maybe you should...how else will we know if its truly harmful.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is... for those on here looking to lose weight saying that they can't possibly eat more than 1200 calories a day, how did you end up with extra weight to lose in the first place?

Maybe i'm the only one... but I certainly didn't gain this extra 20 lbs by "eating only when I'm hungry"
  • jbinga
    jbinga Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Love this!!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is... for those on here looking to lose weight saying that they can't possibly eat more than 1200 calories a day, how did you end up with extra weight to lose in the first place?

Maybe i'm the only one... but I certainly didn't gain this extra 20 lbs by "eating only when I'm hungry"
    Such a good question...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I know this is a heated topic and I know I can just click search and read a million posts on it, but I'm not going to go through them all. i've done it before.

I don't get it.
    (and please don't give me some article that is a million pages long because I won't read it).
    Can someone please explain to me in plain english what the big deal is?

If I eat when I'm hungry, and still don't consume 1200 calories, that's "bad"?
    But if I force myself to eat JUST because I'm told I "have" to get to 1,200 calories, then I'm training my body that I can eat "just because" and that is what got me over weight to begin with.

Another heated topic, HCG, diet pills, etc. those are FDA approved. I know the HCG diet only allows 500 calories a day. So why is THAT ok but eating less then 1,200 calories without the HCG/etc isnt?

I can understand if I am TRULY starving myself. Not eating when my stomach is growling so loud the entire neighborhood can hear it, just because I'm scared to gain any weight, or because I'm trying to lose weight very quickly.

But again. isn't eating "just because" unhealthy? Why can't I eat until I'm full and not worry about forcing 1,200 calories in me if 1,000 is all needed to fill me up?

this may be asking too much, but please no bashing or arguing. I just want it put nicely, and simple.

If I only ate when my tummy grumbles I would probobly only get 400 cals a day since somedays I can go all day without my tummy making a peep,so im not sure that a growling tummy is the best indicator of our need for food