Starvation mode- I'll probably regret posting...

Options

Replies

• LovelyMumOf2
    Options
    1200 is just a number. If you eat 1199 calories you wont be starving, just like eating 1201 won't make you fat. If you're eating mostly fruits and veggies, you will have a hard time getting 1200 calories because you will be very full but you'll have lots of nutrients in your diet. If you're eating lots of processed foods and still can't hit 1200 you're probably missing some key nutrients. Focus on quality of nutrients instead of quantity of calories.

Love this!!!

Ditto.
    And for the record, I am reading and trying to understand everyone's responses. I'm not just asking and then ignoring. I have actually put a call in to MY doctor for better advice but thought I could post here while i wait for her to call back
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you're eating and drinking balanced, your weight is maintaining and it's healthy, and your blood work is showing proper nutrition, who cares; have fun eating 1000 calories a day.

If you're having to take supplements, vitamins, to get your numbers normal then you should probably examine your diet. And if that's the case, just like some people aren't as sensitive to pain, you may not be as sensitive to hunger. It is possible that you may indeed need to eat more food to stay properly fed. However that's a medical question that a doctor (and tests) should illustrate.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I checked my bmr on this site and it was under 1200. I don't think there is anything wrong with consuming only 1000 cals a day I do it often but thats because I am not hungry and I am not going to force feed myself to meet a standard created in a country full of fat people. No offense to anyone but I would have to be stupid to take diet and fitness advice from a sea of people who can't get their own weight under control. I wonder if the calorie minimum is different in other countries where obesity isn't such a problem. Does anyone know?

Your BMR will depend on a lot of stuff... and it will vary on a daily, monthly and seasonal basis. It will depend on genetic factors, VO2 levels, dietary habits and exercise patterns. You would need a proper exam in a laboratory to workout your actual BMR. This site just gives you a good guess ... you may need to adjust things as learn about your own metabolism.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories per day is already a very low calorie target. If you're satisfied with even less than that then I believe your metabolism is very low because your body has adapted to a very low caloric intake.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I know what you saying, and I agree, if your not hungry dont eat...take a multi-vitamin daily, and when it TOM you will probably make up for those calories anyway... I personally dont think "starvation mode" happens until at least a month of decreased calories..We all "ate when we werent hungry" thats why we are hear so when one day we arent so hungry and under our calories , we are like what? I am any how and I never have to force myself to eat unless Im sick or something . You know how health advice is 20 years we will be following different advice and nutrition goals ! What helps one person lose weight might not help another .
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I checked my bmr on this site and it was under 1200. I don't think there is anything wrong with consuming only 1000 cals a day I do it often but thats because I am not hungry and I am not going to force feed myself to meet a standard created in a country full of fat people. No offense to anyone but I would have to be stupid to take diet and fitness advice from a sea of people who can't get their own weight under control. I wonder if the calorie minimum is different in other countries where obesity isn't such a problem. Does anyone know?
    Under 1200 BMR?? Really. Based on the weight on your ticker and the age you have listed you'd need to be about 2 feet tall to have a BMR under 1200.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Not trying to be rude..but if you don't think it's harmful, then try it. What's the point in asking people about it. the way you presented it sounds like you have your mind made up. How is anybody going to change your mind about it?

So if I don't think shooting myself in the foot is harmful, I should try it?
    If u have your mind made up we can'rt change. That's all I am saying.

This is true. But, since she's asking advice, her mind probably isn't made up.

Some people ask for advice, but then listens to nothing

I'm so one of those people! haha!

I am exactly the same! That is how I see it here xD
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people on this site who are extremely fit and/or very knowledgeable about fitness and nutrition. Please think about how things might sound to others before you reply, because this came off as very rude. No offence.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is... for those on here looking to lose weight saying that they can't possibly eat more than 1200 calories a day, how did you end up with extra weight to lose in the first place?

Maybe i'm the only one... but I certainly didn't gain this extra 20 lbs by "eating only when I'm hungry"
    Not everyone gained weight by pigging out
    True. I did though. :drinker:

hahah I did not
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I guess my question is... for those on here looking to lose weight saying that they can't possibly eat more than 1200 calories a day, how did you end up with extra weight to lose in the first place?

Maybe i'm the only one... but I certainly didn't gain this extra 20 lbs by "eating only when I'm hungry"
    I gained from junk food. sure I can eat a bunch of crap and easily make it over 1,200 calories. but eating clean its a lot harder

You gained from a surplus of calories, not because of junk food.

Eating clean is easy for high cals too. Avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, olive oil :D save me from going too low on calories too! :flowerforyou:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    hahah I did not
    Dude, you totally missed out!
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I guess I am going to go out on a limb and say if you are making healthy choices and truely are not hungry and only eat 1000 calories some days it wont be a big deal maybe your metabolism just isn't what the 1200 calorie norm is. I personally can't get by without 1300 generally if I eat less I am crabby and hungry. I also believe all calories are are a guesstimate so who is to say that muffin wasn't a little smaller than the rest making it 25 calories less or more than a different one.
    I do believe your body will hang onto fat and weight if you are not consuming enough calories but 1200 is just a general number they use for you it may be less like for me it is more. Get to know your body. That is one of the things using mfp has taught me.

So true...I've also found that you have to get to know your body to find out what personally works for you.:-)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i i dont know how anyone cant be starving on 1200, as i think its a puny diet, and if someone seriously thinks thats a lot, then i think theyre logging wrong or underestimating their portions.

I also think that 1200 is NOT a magic number.

We have not evolved to need an absolutely static number of calories per day, even without exercising, some days your body will need more, and some days less.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

True !! There are medical conditions that inhibit weight loss..Hypothyroidism(which I have )
    Also diseases that cause people to gain, I am here because I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (form of hypothyroidism) after having my 4th child so it was a battle (and still is) to lose those pregnancy pounds.
  • AmandaJoi25
    Options
    Under 1200 BMR?? Really. Based on the weight on your ticker and the age you have listed you'd need to be about 2 feet tall to have a BMR under 1200.
    5 feet actually
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Me too! :happy:
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    in-before-the-lock.jpg
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Clarify that it is currently not approved for weight loss in small dosages.................but massage doses are approved for infertility purposes.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    MY doctor told me the same thing. I skip breakfast (and thank goodness I do because if I didn't, I would be over on my 1200 calories a day all the time.) My Dr. said if I am not hungry then don't eat. I am getting in my 1200 calories, but just skipping breakfast so it's a little different then your scenario, but the advice was the same. If you are not hungry and you are healthy and have energy, then don't force it.
    If you feel weak, tired, exhausted, sleep a lot and have other symptoms of that sort, then I would suggest eating more calories. But I agree with this! It's about WHAT you eat as much as it is about quantity.

900 calories of fruits, veggies, and protein is going to be more food then 900 McDonalds calories and it will have more nutrition. So calories are just measurements of energy. What you want to focus on is what nutrients and vitamins you are taking in.
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    1200 is just a number. If you eat 1199 calories you wont be starving, just like eating 1201 won't make you fat. If you're eating mostly fruits and veggies, you will have a hard time getting 1200 calories because you will be very full but you'll have lots of nutrients in your diet. If you're eating lots of processed foods and still can't hit 1200 you're probably missing some key nutrients. Focus on quality of nutrients instead of quantity of calories.

I agree with this guy. and if you simply do one of those online thingamajiggers that show you how many calories your body needs to maintain your weight, then you will see that to remain obese/overweight you need a lot more than 1200 cals depending on your weight. weight loss is not really rocket science. feeling full does not mean you are gaining weight (well, unless you're full on burger, fries OR WORSE). If you are exercising regularly (3-5 times per week), eating properly (focusing on vital nutrients and dumping unneccessary fats/carbs/sugars), then you will find a balance. stop calorie counting and just eat right because there's more to food than calories. you said no rocket science and I don't know the technicalities, I'm just telling you the basics. and eat more times a day. you can actualy split it up mathematically if you want to. let's see: 400 breakfast cals, 150 snack cals, 350 lunch cals, 100 snack cals, 300 dinner cals 100 snack cal...how many is that? 1400 cals? now if you break down each meal and have something healthy that matches the amount of calories it should be easy. Then, if you eat back exercise calories as well you should be fine. try and find some healthy meal plans. I have oatmeal, eggs, turkey bacon, fiber one yogurt, or fruit for breakfast, (interchangeable) some lean meats with vegetables for lunch, and lean meat with vegetables and a healthy starch for dinner. for snacks you should do natural stuff like fruits or nuts or something. its not that big of a deal, just be healthy ya know? I'm just trying to help you out. That's my advice though. :-)