favorite go-to fast food meals

Options
1235»

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm having a total fast food day today. This isn't the norm for us but the hubby is away for the night and I am taking the easy way out. Lunch was Mcdonalds - hamburger and small fries for 480 calories. Dinner is going to be worse. Pizza Hut. I am planning on one slice of cheese pizza, two breasticks with sauce, and two mild buffalo wings with blue cheese. And a light beer or two. But, I worked out a lot today so even with all of this I'll still have a couple hundred calories to spare and I'm happy for the treat.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian burrito bowls taste great and I can get change from 400cal easily depending on what I have on it.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I read on Yahoo news that McDonald's burgers are as much as 85% filler. When I want a burger, I want meat, lol.

I remember when Taco Bell was accused of having 85% "filler". The filler was described as a rice, wheat and gluten mixture.

I thought that was hilarious and that anyone who believed it, simply didn't do the math. Even if the 15% meat was 40% fat that would leave you with a fat percentage of 6% (bare with me here)

Now let's say that "filler" is nasty stuff and in addition to the low fat items (rice, wheat and gluten are low fat foods) they put extra fat into in it. Let's say it's 10% of the filler is fat. 10% of 85% is 8.5%

That would mean that the beef being used, full of filler, is technically a lean beef at only 14.5% fat.

Does anyone think the beef at Taco Bell is "lean"?

That being said, I don't eat of that $h!t at all.

6921816.png
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    when i am at work and i don't have the time to make something or forgot it, i like to go to subway and get a half foot sub with turkey, american cheese, tomatoes and my greens. thats it! and it's about 300 something cal. and i use to go to mcd. for there side sald and a side of grilled chicken with ranch. i don't use the whole package that they give you. but i all so went to on the run and they have salads there and i think it's better than going to MCD.
  • Mara_ritzie
    Options
    I'd go for subway. It's healthy and I choose different subs everytime.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from fast food as much as possible but when I do go I choose from the following:

Panera Bread: Pick 2 menu-Broccoli cheddar soup and 1/2 turkey artichoke pannini with an apple and water

Jimmy Johns: Turkey Tom-no Mayo, and I ask for a mayo packet on the side

Subway: 6" subway club on honey oat or wheat, no cheese if I'm getting the avacado spread, other wise provolone, spinach leaves, tomatos, green peppers and cucumbers.

Wendy's: Chili no cheese and no crackers
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    not really fast per say but panera bread.. makes some delish 'samiches'
  • justme84x
    Options
    subway veggie delight footlong 9 grain whole wheat bread no cheese no sauce=AMAZING!
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I love the new Taco Bell Fresca menu...I've tried the supreme's and the burrito's/tacos and they are all good. I'd do 1 supreme instead of two regulars though....very good.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the combo meals. If I want some fast food, it better not be the bulk of what I'm going to eat for the day. It's just to tide me over until I can get something good. So, I'll get a sandwich, skip the fries, and have some water.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    no one has mentioned grocery store delis? Especially whole foods or trader joe's that have ready-to-go one person meals with no preservatives or fillers or plain old "crap"

Thats what we do. Our Safeway has a wonderful deli. I don't eat the sandwiches, but we do stop once a week or so after I pick my daughter up from preschool and we get a roast chicken for lunch. The whole chicken (here) is around $8, but you can also just get a 1/4 or 1/2 chicken for a lot less. They also have salads of every kind. I would rather pay the extra few dollars for a meal from there, then go to a fast food place to get something cheap.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    kfc grilled chicken breast
  • TXchris
    TXchris Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    With my lifestyle, giving fast food up altogether isn't very realistic, so I shoot for staying under 600 calories and trying to get as close to balanced meal as I can. I believe with moderation and planning fast food can be fit in to a healthy meal plan. Having a plan before I walk in the door helps considerably in avoiding busting my goal for the day. These are my top 3 faves:

Del Taco tacos! Two crispy beef tacos come in at 260 calories and 360 mg of sodium. At 14 grams of fat for the pair, you can't really call it healthy, but it can easily be worked into a well balanced day. Sodium is what kills me so I really watch that. I have found I actually do better with a couple of tacos from Del Taco than a sandwich from Subway because I end up with fewer calories and way, way less sodium. I just balance it with some very lean protein at my other meals for the day.

Potbelly Sandwiches. They are much higher in sodium but I can usually do fairly well with calorie counts and they are very satisfying when I really want to splurge a little without overdoing it. I get the "wreck" on white with mustard and all the veggies... I do wheat at home but their white is a tasty treat. At 534 calories, It isn't too bad. I find them more satisfying than Subway, so if I'm going to blow my sodium load on a sandwich, I will usually choose this one.

Another good option I have recently found is Freebird's. Because you pick and choose each ingredient and they measure it out you can really control what you get. You can get a Freedom Chicken Salad loaded up with lots of veggies and even some guacamole for 400 calories.
  • Lunalucina
    Options
    I avoid all of the restaurants save for Subway, honestly. I tried for salads at Wendy's or the yogurt and walnut and apple snack thing at McD's...the salad was covered in cheese (ew) with cruddy lettuce so it got taken off my list, and the snack from McDs...the yogurt was so liquid-y it was like milk, and the walnuts were coated in sugar or syrup or something! Yuck. Aside from Subway, there are a few ok Taco Bell options.

I'm sure it's easier to go to those places if you eat meat though. Not much fast food is vegetarian-friendly. :C
    Roadtrips aren't easy.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's easier to go to those places if you eat meat though. Not much fast food is vegetarian-friendly. :C
    Roadtrips aren't easy.

I travel with a cooler. I'm THAT guy.

6921816.png