Meat eaters nicer than vegans?

Options

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've been into veganism, raw veganism, vegetarianism... paleo/primal. Pretty much tried it all. What I found is that some of the Paleo/Primals were just as fanatical and obnoxious as the vegans and raw vegans... they just thought they were "cooler." Which is silly and got really old. I tired of both groups after a while and now I'm doing my own thing... but I sure learned all kinds of things in the process.
  • camillehardeman
    Options
    I'm not pushy about my vegetarianism, but I find that meat eaters are! Do you ever think we might get tired of the "what DO you eat/do you live on salads?!" questions from ill-informed omnivores (which is what you are, people, carnivores eat ONLY meat).
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm not pushy about my vegetarianism, but I find that meat eaters are! Do you ever think we might get tired of the "what DO you eat/do you live on salads?!" questions from ill-informed omnivores (which is what you are, people, carnivores eat ONLY meat).

I have a friend who has been a vegetarian since we were teens, so, about 30 years now. I don't care if she doesn't eat meat. She doesn't care if I do. It's not a topic of conversation between us. It's also not something I'm curious about or care about in the least.

I do think it's interesting that when folks make life changes that may be considered limiting or drastic to others, many will get defensive and offended if they are asked the same questions by curious people.

It's like anything else, if you do something outside the norm of your local societal values/habits, be prepared to answer questions without acting bothered by it. OR, be nasty and tell people it's none of their business.

Whatever makes you happy, right?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Not true. Carnivores main source of food is meat. That doesn't mean they eat 100% meat. There is no animal in the animal kingdom that eats only meat.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I don't impose my political, sports, religious nor eating view on anyone, so I expect the same for others. When offered a burger, and I say that I do not eat meat, I generally get the following answer:

''OMG! You don't eat meat? How do you get your protein? Did you know that.........? You can't survive on only vegetables? ?! I could NEVER do it!!'' and then, others get involved in the conversation and I end-up getting everyone's two cents as to why I should or should not eat meat. I didn't ask for their two cents.

To each his own. I respect you and don't question your choices nor your lifestyle. Peace out :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    LOL

My side note: I'm vegetarian, almost vegan. My hubby is a meat eater. I don't hound him, I do try to educate him, but I by no means make him switch. I even cook his meals, though I did cry the last time I had to make his hamburger patties out of the ground beef! LMAO He didn't see me though. :embarassed: I try to educate, but I don't condemn or judge. It's a personal choice. If people ask me questions and want to learn about it, by all means I'll talk about it, but I never push the subject. Also, I'm not one of those psychos who would throw paint on fur or get in someones face at a restaurant if they are eating a steak!

I personally have never encountered a mean vegan. lol Not even on here, yet. I know they exist but for the most part everyone I have met is very nice, compassionate, and not "vegan or die". I think the people who tend to be angry, over the top are the ones who are also the type who feel "my way is the only way", probably in everything they do, not just the way they eat. So in answer to your question, I have no idea! :laugh: But on the flip side, when I get into conversations with meat eaters, they tend to gang up on me. My brother in law is always saying "why do you have to be so stubborn, just eat meat already". And I just smile and nod and mentally give him a big ol' F you. So meat eaters, and saying the same as you, not ALL meat eaters can be mean to vegans and vegetarians. I have had a lot of things said to me that are horrible. But I grin and bear it. I guess it's not really what the people eat that make them mean, but just that they are mean people to begin with. :cry:

I think this is the entire point of the conversation, though. You say you try to "educate" your husband. Educate how? As to your way being better? I don't need to be "educated" about any one method of eating, or any type of eating being better or worse than any other, and if a vegan decided they needed to "educate" me I'd be highly offended.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I really understand why people would want all animals to be treated ethically. But philosophically, plants are alive as well. Just because we don't understand the nature of a plants life doesn't make it anymore or less valuable than an animal in my eyes. But no one seems to think that eating corn on the cob is murder. So I say I'm gonna eat meat. And when that meat exits my body, it can be used to fertilize plants, which can feed the animals, so I can have another steak. It's the circle of life.

Yeah, what he said! Plants are people too! :wink:

I agree with some of the posters saying that it's enthusium for what you believe. I get so sick of the deer hunters that try to "sell" me the "if you had it MY way, you'd like venison". I'm not a bambi hugger, I grew up with a dad & bro that hunted (rabbit, squirrel, pheasant... YUM!) I'm cool with it, I personally just don't like the flavor, texture, whatever it is, I don't like it. Same way I can't eat cottage cheese!
    People just need to relax... I am finding some of these forums are so snidey that I'm getting a bit tired of it all. Maybe I'm having MFP overload! LOL
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who doesn't give a rat's *kitten* what anyone else eats. I like meat, but I choose not to eat it for my own reasons. I like vegan foods, but have decided not to give up dairy for my own reasons.

It isn't my job to go on a crusade. The world would be a much nicer place if people stopped believing that everyone else needs to live like them.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    passive.jpg

Thanks for the laugh! :laugh:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    why is that? I dont see meat eaters getting all bent out of shape by the vegan choices.

Really? I see it all the time.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who doesn't give a rat's *kitten* what anyone else eats. I like meat, but I choose not to eat it for my own reasons. I like vegan foods, but have decided not to give up dairy for my own reasons.

It isn't my job to go on a crusade. The world would be a much nicer place if people stopped believing that everyone else needs to live like them.

^^This!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I shall get angry at dairy eaters through jealousy lol

I desperately want to eat CHEEESE and milk and chocolate and eggs mmmmm eggs!!

But I cant until my daughter is weaned....

I know that this isnt entirely relevent... BUT.... I dont care... I MISS DAIRY!!!

:D

PS. each to their own :)

May I ask why you're abstaining from dairy?

My daughter has an itolerance to animal protiens found in dairy... so all the while shes being breast fed, I need to stick to soya and other non dairy sources for nutrion! It sucks because im a HUGE dairy fan!! But its not worth it to see her suffer with a poorly tummy :)

I empathize for you both.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I :heart: you!
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I could care less about what other people eat....I just need to know what I'm eating...
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options

I know that this isnt entirely relevent... BUT.... I dont care... I MISS DAIRY!!!

My daughter has an itolerance to animal protiens found in dairy... so all the while shes being breast fed, I need to stick to soya and other non dairy sources for nutrion! It sucks because im a HUGE dairy fan!! But its not worth it to see her suffer with a poorly tummy :)

You are so lucky you found out this early!! My daughter is the Dairy Queen and we are just now realizing (she is 5) that she is lactose intolerant -- or something! Testing it out now. I won't take her to the doc because they aren't going to tell me anything I don' t know or can't figure out on my own. Anyway, I think I'm going to go dairy free with her. I'm not anti-dairy by any means, but I'd like to clean up my diet and that seems the best way to start. Also--since it is just the two of us I'm not going to buy two products. I've always made her eat what I eat, so I why wouldn't I stick to her diet too?
    My oldest is lactose intolerant as well. She grew up on soy formula. When it was time for milk, we just cut a chewable lactaid into quarters and gave her a piece. It worked just fine. Now that she is older, she tolerates milk well, it's just ice cream and super creamy things she has a problem with. She takes a lactaid before she eats/drinks and she's fine. It was a lot easier than going dairy free and she got to enjoy all the good stuff dairy has to offer!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

*cheers* I think I'd flip to formula... I can't live without cheese *LOL* Kudos to you :)
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    I don't impose my political, sports, religious nor eating view on anyone, so I expect the same for others. When offered a burger, and I say that I do not eat meat, I generally get the following answer:

''OMG! You don't eat meat? How do you get your protein? Did you know that.........? You can't survive on only vegetables? ?! I could NEVER do it!!'' and then, others get involved in the conversation and I end-up getting everyone's two cents as to why I should or should not eat meat. I didn't ask for their two cents.

^^ Word.

However, i will add that if people are honestly interested, and WANT to have an intellectual, non-attacking conversation about the horrors of factory-farming and the unhealthy "benefits" of eating this type of meat, i am all for it.
    I think there are some idiotic vegans/vegetarians out there, but the same can be said for flesh-eaters. In my opinion, a lot of vegetarians get tired of the above SAME questions thrown at them, and usually in a attacking way. I just try to ignore those people as best as possible and educate the ones who are respectful.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i'm a vegan. I think i'm nice :)
    I try not to attack the omnivores out there, even if i disagree sometimes.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I think part of the difference is that a vegan's diet is more important to them then most omnivores. Don't get me wrong, I think most people here consider their diet important, but being vegan is lifestyle while being an omnivore is just the way we eat.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Aww poor kid!