Excess skin after 170 pound weight loss (*warning, pics)

Options
kikkipoo
kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
After my recent success story post went out I got inboxed a lot of questions about the excess skin issue and I realized its a real fear people have and they don't really know what to expect or how to handle it when they reach goal. I tried to reply on my original post but it wasn't until page three so it got lost in a sea of comments. I wanted to share this again on a separate post for those with the same concerns can see. So, here was my original general response to your questions...

I got inboxed a lot of questions about the excess skin, and it would probably be easier to answer it generally in this post than reply to each one separately. As I said before, yes, I had excess skin. The primary areas of concern were my tummy, breasts, under arms and thighs. Had I not had gastric bypass and lost it slowly and utilized more exercise early on, I'm sure this could have been less of an issue, but you will never be that big and go back to a tight firm hot bod again. I also had stretch marks galore. (Mind you I also had things in my favor. I was only 25, so I had some bounceback left in my skin. So, everyone's results will be different. I carried my weight everywhere rather than just tummy, or just hips and butt. That too will make a difference) I remember being at my smallest weight and just being very depressed because I still looked a mess. I still looked obese, and in these pics I was only 145 pounds. That wasn't what I had signed up for. I expected to have bikini body like everyone else hopes for. But in actuality, I looked like a melted candle everywhere. I did ultimately have a tummy tuck and breast augmentation, but the rest wasn't within reach for me. It's just something I have to accept and live with. I used to be extremely worried about it, but over time it has gotten better and muscle helps considerably. For the sake of being brutally honest I am about to post the pics from the doctor's office when I had my plastic surgery. This will give you an honest idea of what a 170 pound weight loss can do to a formerly morbidly obese body. Please no snide comments. They aren't pretty and this takes a lot of trust in you guys to put this out there.

[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/before and after/tummybefore.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/before and after/breastsbefore2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb41/Thin1day/before and after/2monthspostop.jpg[/img]
and this was 2 months after surgery. The scars were still very red and you can see the doctor had to do an achor cut, and it still didn't get all the skin left in the ribcage area. He said he would have to cut from the backside to get all of that as well, and I wasn't up for that. He was able to do muscle repair though, and I did have to have a new belly button created for me. Insurance did not cover any of this. If I wanted to fight for insurance approval I would have had to prove that it was causing a medical condition such as skin rashes, and even then they would have only approved a panni (or the removal of the tummy flap overhang) This was in 2006 and the scars have since faded to next to nothing and I haven't had any further concerns....but I did notice when I started gaining weight again it got very tight and uncomfortable. I still plan to have another baby in the next couple of years and I really don't know what to expect at that point.

Replies

• AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You are SOOOO beautiful!! Thank you for sharing! Congrats on your weight loss! When I started I had about 130 pounds to lose. I also had dreams of having a bikini body, but now that I'm 50 pounds away from my goal weight I can see I will never have that! I guess as long as my husband still loves me and thinks I'm attractive that's all that matters :)
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wow this is incredible! You are very lucky to not have any other issues associated with all these surgeries. And I think it's beautiful that you have a man who loves you for who you are! You guys look so in love in your ticker. :) congrats on your success! You are BEAUTIFUL!

By the way... your pictures on your profile.... I would have NEVER guessed that you had this hidden behind your clothes! You look so happy and confident!
  • savvy85
    savvy85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's so intense!!! Thank you for sharing! You're so brave! That's such an amazing weightloss, congratulations! You look GORGEOUS!!!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of courage to post those pictures.

Thank you for doing that.

I hope that people are encouraged by your honesty and also that they recognize that loose skin is a small price to pay for good health.

Great job getting healthy, by the way. You've done a fabulous job!
  • nicoleh82
    Options
    You've done such an awesome job! Well done.

I'm about halfway on the weight loss front. To be brutally honest, I know won't look like what I want, and I'll have the same issue as you did so I'm kinda losing motivation to lose the rest.

I can do most of what I want to do and that means more to me than the weight loss...
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others have said. Thank you for being so courageous in posting these, I know it will help someone out there. Well done on your success!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    holy cow...what an amazing transformation!! that's outstanding!!!!!
  • skatermom503
    Options
    You should be proud. You are so brave to post them and they are not horrible. They are a testament to how far you have come. Nobody has a perfect body. Yours has just been really tested. It must be so worth the few sags you have to have come so far and to be a healthy weight and to even be able to consider having another baby in a few years. I am older so I am not worried about sagging skin cause, really, who's gonna see it, but I know it is a concern when you are younger. I think as you maintain your loss and exercise, some of the skin will tighten up. Either way, you are so ahead of the game You have a man that loves you and you have a wonderful life ahead. Don't worry about your body. Did it look better before? Luck and blessings!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    What an amazing post!! You are so brave! You look fantastic right now!! Even with the scars, you look so much better than with the loose skin. I'm 46 and lost 30lbs and my skin has just given up! So in certain situations I look down and have loads of flabby skin just hanging, I congratulate you on having the strength of will to have the ops done. You look great! Enjoy!!
  • red0101
    Options
    you are very brave and amazing. great job
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is part of it, but a huge congratulations to you in your success.

In time you'll tackle these other challenges too.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, your absolutely amazing journey!
  • nursenelson
    Options
    What a transformation! That's amazing and you should be so proud of all your hard work!
    Thanks for sharing such a private thing with all of us :)
    I too have lost loads of weight, I only have about 10-15 left to lose...and I have loose skin around my tummy and my quads. I doubt it will ever go away so it looks like there will be a tummy/thigh lift in my future.
    My husband says it will be a 40Th birthday gift to me...but I'm thinking more like 38... haha
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    Awesome job! Thank you for sharing. it is unfortunate that the loose skin does not fade with the fat loss, but you look amazing and you can see the muscle shining through on the 1st pictures even! Congrats. That is some willpower that you have to go from what you were to what you are. A true inspiration! The pics are amazing and beautiful despite the imperfections. I am scared that i am going to have some of that, but i am ready to deal with it also :) Dont know about the breasts tho! already dropped from a DD to a C with a 50-pound weight loss and they sag now :(
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. You look amazing and so much healthier. I have lost 90 lbs but over 17 months so kinda slow I have some hanging skin also I am hoping most of it will tighten as i continue to work out but if not at least i am alot healthier and able to do alot more with my family and friends. CONGRATS on your weight loss, truly amazing
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    what a great success!!
    wear those scars proudly, for those are excellent tattoos with stories!
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    Very nice :)
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate you and your honesty. You are beautiful !! So very proud of you .:smile:
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I truly admire your courage for being so open and honest and wanting to help others who have similar concerns. Congratulations on your weight loss and everything else. You are truly an inspiration to many.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss and thank you so much for the information. I was one who has been wondering… If your skin is a little slow to catch up with the rest of your amazing self, no worries. You look incredible and you must feel like a million bucks! May you be around to enjoy your grandchildren:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!