What are you reading?

13»

Replies

• jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    I'm reading the Reader by Bernhard Schlink
    next up is Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

I wanted to read Pillars of the Earth, thanks for the reminder

I want to read Pillars of the Earth too and I actually have it sitting here right in front of me... but its really THICK and im afraid to start it LOL
    My problem is if i start a book i HAVE to finish it no matter how bad it is ... so thick books scare me lol
    OMG Jackie! I am the EXACT same way with books...I grab it I GOTTA finish it:noway: :noway: :tongue: Yea I hear ya, I can't send them back to the library unless they are simply god awful and by then you've gotten into it a bit and think, surely it MUST get better as it goes on:laugh: :ohwell:

FC:heart:

haha thats my thinking on why i have to finish the book... i keep thinking it has to get better.... and when i realise its not gonna get any better there are only 2 chapters left and i might as well finish it now...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I felt intimidated by Pillars of the Earth as well, it is big. But it is so engrossing, you are actually surprised when it is over. it is such a compelling read, and you care so deeply about the characters, that you don't want it to end.

I'm finding the same is true about World Without End, as well. It is a few generations down the line, in the same area of England as pillars was set, but a whole new cast of characters to love (and hate!)

Supremely good!!!!

I was up till 11 last night, when I should've been in bed at 9, because I got so engrossed- the plague has come to Europe! Who will make it? Who won't? So enthralling!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Dang, I lost my post!

Love the Stephen King gunslinger series, I know it's been posted a couple of times. For all you fans, King has a short about Roland in the book 666 (or 999, depending on how you look at it--it was released I believe in 1999) which is a collection of shorts and novellas.

I'm loving Ted Dekker, I was introduced to his books this fall, and I always get a new one when I'm at the library. Kind of creepy but with a slight, not in your face religious twist.

Anything by Laurell K. Hamilton. She's got a couple of free standing books, and a couple of series out there. The first series is the Anita Blake series. She's a vampire executioner, who is in love with a vampire, a werewolf, and a wereleopard. It's complicated :laugh: :laugh: . Lots of smut, some action, and a bit of mystery. Her other series I've got is the Merideth Gentry series. It's about a half human/half fey girl who is actually a princess of faerie who moved to the normal world to get away from all the trials and tribulations of fey court. Gets drawn back because she's an heir to the throne, and between her and her cousin, the first one who has a child gets to be heir.... Once again, a lot of smut...

If you're in the mood for tears... almost anything by Nicholas Sparks. So romantic!

Ummmm... I also like James Paterson

Lately, I've been on a website called lostzombies.com. It kind of follows the set up of World War Z (another one of my fave books), where people blog about their experiences with Zombies and how they survive. Some very good writers on there (as well as a few bad ones, lol).

Ooops, my bad, the Stephen King gunslinger short was in the book Legends.
  • micheleg7
    micheleg7 Posts: 34
    I just joined MFP today, and YAY my first post is to a Book thread. Of course. Books are my favorite thing in life. Well, next to family and food.

I'm reading Model: A Memoir. Just finished A Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris.

Waving hi to fellow Bookies!

hugs
    michele
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    I'm reading the Reader by Bernhard Schlink
    next up is Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

I wanted to read Pillars of the Earth, thanks for the reminder

I want to read Pillars of the Earth too and I actually have it sitting here right in front of me... but its really THICK and im afraid to start it LOL
    My problem is if i start a book i HAVE to finish it no matter how bad it is ... so thick books scare me lol
    OMG Jackie! I am the EXACT same way with books...I grab it I GOTTA finish it:noway: :noway: :tongue: Yea I hear ya, I can't send them back to the library unless they are simply god awful and by then you've gotten into it a bit and think, surely it MUST get better as it goes on:laugh: :ohwell:

FC:heart:

haha thats my thinking on why i have to finish the book... i keep thinking it has to get better.... and when i realise its not gonna get any better there are only 2 chapters left and i might as well finish it now...
    :laugh: I hear ya:noway:
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    I have a book upstairs in bed, another by the sofa and book on tape in car.

Our bookclub reads a book each month---sometimes all the way to the end (just kidding)
    We all voted GLASS CASTLE the BEST!!!!
    We voted Love in the TIme of Cholera the worst (and are at the point where we don't want ot read any more Oprah books--that girl needs to LAUGH a little and read some brain candy!!)

I love Janet Evanovitch--read them all--definitely brain candy--grandmas MAzur cracks me up--they need to make it a TV series!
    James Patterson--currently reading AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE. Done with the Women's Murder Club and Alex Cross-he is just OK but once I start an author I tend to read others
    LOVE JODI PICCOULT reading Keeping Faith-- and her 19 Minutes should be compulsory as a freshman in high school
    The SHACK--almost done--one chapter left---different--comforting, makes you think about things--I like that.
    The Last Lecture is in the car---which is bad because my eyes are red when I go to work and can't drive well through the tears!!

Up next THE MYTH of YOU and ME

LOVE Paperbackswap.com
    123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    My favorite author by far is Neil Gaiman. I'm reading American Gods right now and really enjoying it. If you're looking for something really funny, though, pick up Good Omens. It was a collaborative effort with Terry Prachett, it's hilarious!
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    OH! And if you've never read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee you need to. It's quite possibly my favorite!
  • micheleg7
    micheleg7 Posts: 34
    Lebe have you read Neal Gaiman's Graveyard yet? I've heard such good things about it but haven't picked it up. Wondered if I should?
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I have a book upstairs in bed, another by the sofa and book on tape in car.

Our bookclub reads a book each month---sometimes all the way to the end (just kidding)
    We all voted GLASS CASTLE the BEST!!!!
    We voted Love in the TIme of Cholera the worst (and are at the point where we don't want ot read any more Oprah books--that girl needs to LAUGH a little and read some brain candy!!)

I love Janet Evanovitch--read them all--definitely brain candy--grandmas MAzur cracks me up--they need to make it a TV series!
    James Patterson--currently reading AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE. Done with the Women's Murder Club and Alex Cross-he is just OK but once I start an author I tend to read others
    LOVE JODI PICCOULT reading Keeping Faith-- and her 19 Minutes should be compulsory as a freshman in high school
    The SHACK--almost done--one chapter left---different--comforting, makes you think about things--I like that.
    The Last Lecture is in the car---which is bad because my eyes are red when I go to work and can't drive well through the tears!!

Up next THE MYTH of YOU and ME

LOVE Paperbackswap.com
    123504.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

I also enjoyed Last Lecture. Look it up on youtube as well, his lecture was videotaped. Even our kids enjoyed watching him speak!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    OH! And if you've never read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee you need to. It's quite possibly my favorite!

My favorite Book! Could read it again and again. I think I learn something new every time I read it.
This discussion has been closed.