I gained a pound!

Options

Replies

• SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to starve myself anymore. I'm going to start eating more, healthy foods though of course
    That, & a day off here & again, are a great plan. :)
    You're doing well, keep up the good work, you will see those results!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    You did not gain muscle. You dont' gain muscle on a caloric deficit.

Eat more. You're not eating enough so your body is hoarding what little food you're giving it. A fire will burn out if you don't give it enough fuel.

Yes!! Also, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.

Yes!! Thank you!
    A pound of apples does not weigh more than a pound of bananas! Fat takes up more space, muscle is more dense. You should eat 1200 cals or more, track how many calories you're burning during exercise and try to eat at least half of them back...especially if you go below 1200 calories.

You will not bulk up or gain muscle on a calorie deficit. You can tone and tighten.

Good luck!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Maybe.. just maybe you need to eat more calories. I eat about 1500 calories everyday, whether I worked out or not. It's been working well for me and I'm enjoying it!
    Oh, and another thing I don't get is that the week before i started dieting and exercising again I lost 4lbs! And i was eating fast food and desert every night. I haven't eaten any fast food and i've only had chocolate once this week
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    This is good. Try different things. Throw science out the window. Try different things and see what works for you. Not everyone is the same! Good Luck :)
    I'm not going to starve myself anymore. I'm going to start eating more, healthy foods though of course
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    I'd worry just a little if I hadn't had a BM in 7 days.. Not saying you have to have one to loose weight.. but I think 7 days is a long time.
    I drink at least 9 16.0 bottles of water per day. Sometimes up to 15. I'm on meds that make my mouth extremely dry so I have to drink a lot of water. And it's been 7 days since i've had a bm.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    when I started with my trainer I gained 6lbs, I don't know why/what but after a few months I lost it plus more.. Hang in there...
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    A pound of apples does not weigh more than a pound of bananas!
    That has nothing to do with it; a BUCKET of apples weighs more than the same BUCKET of bananas, and that's where the example would be relavent to the statement made in this thread.

*I don't think it matters here, in that the OP's issue isn't muscle gain, here. But I don't get why people drone on this point, *kitten*/u/me/ing that "muscle weighs more than fat," means lb per lb, rather than per size, obviously it means size.
  • mjn710
    mjn710 Posts: 11
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

You did not gain muscle in such a short amount of time, and on such a huge deficit.

Eating less than 1200 calories per day consistently is a terrible idea for most people.

Regardless of what your net goal is, you need to eat back the calories you burn during exercise.

If you want to lose weight in a healthy way and preserve whatever muscle you already have, you need to eat more and set your goal to lose only 1 lb per week. Obviously, starving yourself did not work in the past since you said you gained weight back. It doesn't work for most people.

ETA: Don't freak out about a 1 lb "gain".

1) Muscle does "weight" more than Fat... it is more dense and therefore has "greater" mass.
    2) Muscle gain in the out of shape or those with minimal muscle mass can and is noticed in a shorter time (simply bc the relative amount is greater per % gain) The idea that is takes 1-2 months to start muscle gain is antiquated and was based on poor science... and can not be backed by modern sound studies....
    3) Placing the body in a stress cycle response for short periods of time... can be actually beneficial fat loss (lipolysis) is closely tied to the autonomic (fight or flight) response. I do agree that you will get very tired at some point and need to replace your calories that you are expending during exercise. And that true weight loss takes place do to lifestyle changes not short stress burst... I do however believe that all of us like immediate gratification and that controlled gratification can keep us on line to our end goal
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost and weight the past two weeks, and I have been working out, drinking lots of water, and I have been staying under my calorie goal. It sucks, but it happens. AND, it is normal. Look through the other threads similar to yours on here, you will notice that many other people have had this exact same experience. Your body needs to adjust, it's changing. Let it have that time to make those changes.

Also, you really should be eating more than 1200 calories. When you eat that little, your body holds on to your weight because it is in "starvation mode." Try eating around 1300 or 1400 and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost and weight the past two weeks, and I have been working out, drinking lots of water, and I have been staying under my calorie goal. It sucks, but it happens. AND, it is normal. Look through the other threads similar to yours on here, you will notice that many other people have had this exact same experience. Your body needs to adjust, it's changing. Let it have that time to make those changes.

Also, you really should be eating more than 1200 calories. When you eat that little, your body holds on to your weight because it is in "starvation mode." Try eating around 1300 or 1400 and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Shut the front door... A pound!

Usually long lasting results take longer than 7 days... Perhaps stick with it and you will see results. People's weight fluctuates each day based on what they eat, drink, if they are stressed, if the wind blew the wrong way... Anything can make your weight fluctuate a pound or two daily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    2) Muscle gain in the out of shape or those with minimal muscle mass can and is noticed in a shorter time (simply bc the relative amount is greater per % gain) The idea that is takes 1-2 months to start muscle gain is antiquated and was based on poor science... and can not be backed by modern sound studies....
    Studies have been done by Journal of Strength and Conditioning research, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism touting that muscle gain on calorie deficit is very unlikely UNLESS in the individual is brand new to lifting (never lifted weights before), obese/overweight and lifting weights, or an athlete returning to weight lifting after a long layoff. To gain muscle, fat will also be gained. To gain weight, the body needs calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can tell a difference in my abdomen as far as muscle is concerned, and I know muscle weighs more than fat but I do so much cardio, ya know? And according to this site I'm supposed to eat 1200 calories a day

I just got a programme done at a gym in the UK and here they advise interval training (basicallly 1 minute really hard fast exercise followed by 1 minute slow, no more than 10 minutes on any machines./doing any 1 exercise). your body gets used to cardio. Also, you shouldn;t expect to see a big change in 1 week. There could be stuff going on like fluid retention on a day to day basis (maybe you'd lost fluid when you lost the 4 lbsm so you just put that back on again?). Your weight needs to be monitored over a longer period. But get someone to advise you (or look up) a weight loss exercise programme for the gym would be my advice. Good Luck! And don't lose heart! 8D
  • mjn710
    Options
    Sorry, but the information you're giving is incorrect. It's not muscle. Muscle is built on calorie surplus. Only a few selective type of people can build even just a little muscle on calorie deficit and she doesn't sound like one of them.
    The gain is from water retention. Muscle needs water to rebuild and store glycogen.
    If someone doesn't eat enough, it lowers their BMR. A lower BMR means that they are burning less calories at rest. You burn more fat at rest than doing activity. This is why it's important to eat enough so the BMR stays active. The body doesn't really like to give up body fat. The body will actually try to utilize lean muscle tissue for energy before body fat. This is why strength training is important. To help retain lean muscle.
    Overall if she is in calorie deficit (along with eating back her exercise calories), and strength training with cardio efficiently, then the weight will come off.
    Water retention from the exercise will subside in a couple of weeks.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

1) So send me one link to a scientific well written paper that backs what you are saying.
    2) Calorie eating MINIMALLY impacts the BMR, and you do or should know that. The major caloric drain is heat balance.... WHICH DOES NOT CHANGE. Cellular process and ATP still need to take place... you are reciting antiquated knowledge that is scientifically NOT true
    3) Muscle (actin and Myosin) can absolutely be created in a caloric deficient state... providing that your Amino acids are present and ATP will be used. This has been shown both clinically and histologically.... actually it was NASA that had one of the best studies on this!
    4) The body will use the glycogen store in muscle..... but as you know that only goes to the muscle it CAN NOT GO OUT OF THE MUSCLE... That is what the liver glycogen stores are there for. But, as you know or should know you have less than a 24 hour supply at MOST. Then you move to fat burning.....so the statement that muscles is preferentially broken down before fat is false! (AND WILL NOT HAPPEN PROVIDED YOU MAINTAIN CORRECT PROTEIN INTAKE)
    5) I agree and stated that the fluid shift is the reason as she was eating fast food and the salt intake did it as her body was trying to achieve homeostasis.
    6) I respect what you do.. I would never attempt to give the correct muscle activation information.... Honesty, I would be happy to discuss the above information of this thread.... I feel the best weight loss come from a good an interested trainer and a knowledgable medical doctor to monitor the health etc....
  • mjn710
    Options
    2) Muscle gain in the out of shape or those with minimal muscle mass can and is noticed in a shorter time (simply bc the relative amount is greater per % gain) The idea that is takes 1-2 months to start muscle gain is antiquated and was based on poor science... and can not be backed by modern sound studies....[/quote]Studies have been done by Journal of Strength and Conditioning research, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism touting that muscle gain on calorie deficit is very unlikely UNLESS in the individual is brand new to lifting (never lifted weights before), obese/overweight and lifting weights, or an athlete returning to weight lifting after a long layoff. To gain muscle, fat will also be gained. To gain weight, the body needs calorie surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]

One questionn... looking at her picture I guarantee her BMI is over 25 which mean she is in your exception category... I know the articles...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    One questionn... looking at her picture I guarantee her BMI is over 25 which mean she is in your exception category... I know the articles...
    She's not obese or (let me reemphasize) "very overweight". Her past history and current eating and exercise habits are dictating why the one pound gain. It's water. It's not muscle.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    1) So send me one link to a scientific well written paper that backs what you are saying.
    Are you saying a reduction in calories doesn't result in a lower BMR?
    It is well established from longitudinal studies of human starvation
    and semistarvation that weight loss is accompanied by a
    decrease in basal metabolic rate (BMR) greater than can be
    accounted for by the changes in body weight or body composition
    (1–5). This deviation from predicted values in the reduction
    of BMR is generally regarded as the outcome of a regulatory
    process that, in the face of food energy deficits, increases metabolic
    efficiency by suppressing thermogenesis and hence reduces
    the rate at which the body’s tissues are being depleted.

Am J Clin Nutr 1998;68:599–606.
    2) Calorie eating MINIMALLY impacts the BMR, and you do or should know that. The major caloric drain is heat balance.... WHICH DOES NOT CHANGE. Cellular process and ATP still need to take place... you are reciting antiquated knowledge that is scientifically NOT true.
    Not when the body isn't consuming enough for the energy expended. High calorie deficits affect BMR.
    3) Muscle (actin and Myosin) can absolutely be created in a caloric deficient state... providing that your Amino acids are present and ATP will be used. This has been shown both clinically and histologically.... actually it was NASA that had one of the best studies on this!
    Post the study. Exceptions are athlete returning from long lay off, obese/very overweight taking up weight lifting, individual brand new to lifting. OP is not any of these 3.
    4) The body will use the glycogen store in muscle..... but as you know that only goes to the muscle it CAN NOT GO OUT OF THE MUSCLE... That is what the liver glycogen stores are there for. But, as you know or should know you have less than a 24 hour supply at MOST. Then you move to fat burning.....so the statement that muscles is preferentially broken down before fat is false! (AND WILL NOT HAPPEN PROVIDED YOU MAINTAIN CORRECT PROTEIN INTAKE)
    Ever hear of muscle catabolism? You are under the assumption the OP is intaking enough protein to prevent it. I do agree that positive nitrogen balance is the key, but with out it, muscle is the preferred energy over fat by the body. Look at any athlete that does long endurance training while not in positive nitrogen balance. How much muscle do they retain?
    6) I respect what you do.. I would never attempt to give the correct muscle activation information.... Honesty, I would be happy to discuss the above information of this thread.... I feel the best weight loss come from a good an interested trainer and a knowledgable medical doctor to monitor the health etc....
    I'm not a BRO science person. I don't get my info from articles, blogs or opinions. I rely on actual Peer Reviewed Clinical Studies.
    I'm also open minded. If I see a few clinical study that refutes what I currently take as truth, then I will adopt that information. There is a lot of misinformation out there and it is right to make sure that it's corrected.

IDEA Fitness member
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to get it back off. Eat a little more and give it longer than a week.

P.S. Muscle does not weigh more that fat. 1lb of muscle is weighs the same as 1lb of fat. A pound is pound. :smile:

DUH!! When people say muscle weighs more than fat, it's implicit they're talking about the same volume.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    And it's been 7 days since i've had a bm.

That is from the Slimfast! I drank them for 3 days and have never been so constipated in my life.

Seriously - take a laxative (just once - not habitually!) and you'll be down 3 pounds - and quit the Slimfast garbage.

Agree with this. It's concerning you haven't had a BM in a week. Try to move that along. Once in a while it won't hurt if you're having problems.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The scale said I gained a pound this morning too. It's that time of the month and I had a lot of sodium yesterday. On top of that, I haven't taken a crap yet today.

I must have gained some muscle.