Diet Soda??? Your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke with splenda. I tend to drink 4-5 bottles of (Brita squeeze bottle) of water for every Can I drink.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Pretty much gave up all sodas almost 30 years ago and have never looked back. I might occasionally have one if there are no other options, but that is a rare occurrence.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I once was one of those people that thought anything with artificial sweetener in it was bad for you until I did my own research and stopped listening to everyone else's opinions. I stopped drinking regular soda and now have about 2-3 diet sodas a day.
    That's good that you researched. Many a "health nut" spews so many inaccuracies and exaggeration about diet soda from blogs, articles and pseudo science, but when actually compared with clinical studies done on them they get debunked.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    Options
    horrible, horrible horrible nutrition-wise for you. Do a search on all of the artificial sweetners. If you have to have soda, even though it's loaded w/sugar and calories, account for them and drink that. Better than the artificial sweetners, I promise. They account for headaches, memory loss, spiking food cravings, the list is endless and plus they think even more sinister things. Wean off. Water with fruit in it is the very best (filtered water).
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My own experience has been that if I drink a can of diet soda every day it definitely hampers my weight loss.

How so? I'm curious how you saw the effect. Did it make you hungrier? Did it prevent you from drinking water?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the evidence that the artificial ingredients including the artifical sugar are "bad" for you is suspect. however, what I would suggest is finding out if YOU feel better after cutting out soda. maybe you wont see any change maybe you will. When I cut soda out I also cut out alot of processed foods at the same time so Im not sure if my increased energy and general good feeling can be attributed in anyway to just cutting out soda. Try it...see how you feel.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    If you want to mess up your teeth go ahead drink diet soda drinks

Diet Coke has high acidity and lowers the pH of your mouth for up to an hour after you have consumed it. Lowered pH can cause tooth enamel to lose its natural minerals and break down, increasing your risk of decay and causing yellowing. Dentists suggest that if you are going to drink Diet Coke, you avoid sipping it over an extended time

You may find that Diet Coke helps satisfy your sugar cravings by giving you the sweet taste, without the calories. However, some studies have actually connected artificial sweeteners with increased appetite and even weight gain, such as research findings by Purdue University. A possible explanation for this is that you will eat more after consuming artificial sweeteners because your body is still expecting the calories to match the sweet taste sensation it experienced from the sweetener. Drinking more than two servings a day of artificially sweetened beverages, such as Diet Coke, has also been linked to reduced kidney function by a researcher at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Oj6eW

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Axocv
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    horrible, horrible horrible nutrition-wise for you. Do a search on all of the artificial sweetners. If you have to have soda, even though it's loaded w/sugar and calories, account for them and drink that. Better than the artificial sweetners, I promise. They account for headaches, memory loss, spiking food cravings, the list is endless and plus they think even more sinister things. Wean off. Water with fruit in it is the very best (filtered water).
    Done the research. "Real" peer reviewed clinical studies debunk all of what you stated above. Articles and blogs aren't studies, they are opinions.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kellybeans16
    kellybeans16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda most days. I try to make sure I have had my daily water intake first, but after that I dont have an issue with having any : )

enjoy!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If you want to mess up your teeth go ahead drink diet soda drinks

Diet Coke has high acidity and lowers the pH of your mouth for up to an hour after you have consumed it. Lowered pH can cause tooth enamel to lose its natural minerals and break down, increasing your risk of decay and causing yellowing. Dentists suggest that if you are going to drink Diet Coke, you avoid sipping it over an extended time
    So does eating citrus fruits. If you follow regular dental hygiene, you shouldn't have an issue.

You may find that Diet Coke helps satisfy your sugar cravings by giving you the sweet taste, without the calories. However, some studies have actually connected artificial sweeteners with increased appetite and even weight gain, such as research findings by Purdue University. A possible explanation for this is that you will eat more after consuming artificial sweeteners because your body is still expecting the calories to match the sweet taste sensation it experienced from the sweetener. Drinking more than two servings a day of artificially sweetened beverages, such as Diet Coke, has also been linked to reduced kidney function by a researcher at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Oj6eW

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Axocv
    Correlation is not causation as a poster mentioned above. There isn't definitive proof that diet soda caused the issues you mentioned above. It's good to be aware, but one shouldn't make conclusions unless the facts are solid.

IDEA Fitness member
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I think the morale of the story (in fact, morale of every story) is that "use is OK, abuse is bad".

Basically, stick to 1-2 cans a day, and you will be fine.
    Same is true for ketchup, fish, lentils, water, exercise, etc.

So yeah, at the end of the day, it's better not to care too much about all these rules.
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's better to have water than any soda, but you should choose whatever you like. I find drinking more water I eat more foods. Where if I drink diet I'm more full on the drink and eat less. I really have to wean off diet drinks. Once I did that I didnt miss it. If I go eat out I order water, once and then Ill drink a diet.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    You drink one fountain soda a day? Enjoy it, sounds like moderation to me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can't drink diet pop because I have a horrible reaction to aspartame. However, I DO indulge in a sugar free energy drink nearly every single day. I've lost 60lbs and am currently maintaining. I think, in moderation, everything is just fine.

So, if you want to have a diet pop each day - do it. :) For me, this is the only life I have to live and I plan to enjoy it.
  • mainjane
    Options
    I drink at least two diet sodas a day. It hasn't kept me from losing weight but has it helped satisfy my sweet tooth. As far as the sodium goes, my blood pressure was great last week when I visited the doctor. I am not worried about the soda.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's the lesser of many evils. So if you want one, have one. One a day...fine, five a day...not fine. If you really enjoy it, then drink it. I used to be an addict, now I only have one when I really want it...usually if I have pizza (rare occasion).

It's not going to kill you, but it's also (obviously) not healthy for you. But everything in moderation.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is poison. That's my opinion.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is my crack.

Me too! I use it as my treats, and to quell my sugar/sweet cravings
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Be aware that the sodium listed on the label is per SERVING, not per bottle or can. A 12 oz can is usually 2 servings, so if you drink the whole can, the sodium is double what is listed on the can.

If you're talking about a 16oz bottle, maybe, but on most sodas now, one can is one serving. I've even noticed on larger bottles, the information is often listed on a "per container" basis. I'm looking at my 12oz Diet Pepsi can right now...
    Serving size: 1can
    Amount per serving:
    Sodium: 35mg

Which, by the way, is about the same amount of sodium as in three baby carrots. :smile:

On the other hand, my Gatorade bottle is 32 oz, with a serving size of 12 oz and 2.5 servings per container, with 160mg sodium per serving, or 400mg per bottle.

Edit: Niner beat me to it. I was going to take a photo of the can, but it was too hard to read.

Bear in mind, Gatorade is designed to replace what you are sweating out. I don't look at Gatorade as a soft drink that i would drink unless i just finished a long run or ride.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet soda all throughout, hasn't hurt me. I cut out all soda for a month before, didn't change anything. The science says it's fine. My body says it's fine. It's like any other food. Some people will have problems consuming it, most people won't.

A lot of people have serious allergic reactions and can even die from peanuts, does that make them bad for everyone else?

Like someone already said, all artificial sweeteners break down into chemicals that are found in many natural foods that people eat every day. The body doesn't recognize the source, it just recognizes the individual compounds, and deals with them accordingly.