Diet Soda??? Your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Be aware that the sodium listed on the label is per SERVING, not per bottle or can. A 12 oz can is usually 2 servings, so if you drink the whole can, the sodium is double what is listed on the can.

I've never seen a can of soda that listed it as 2 servings...even so, I've seen recently that most beverages are putting the "per container" info on as well as the per serving info
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Whatever your " vice " might be ... make it work for you ! One a day won't kill you nor prevent you from losing weight. If we give up everything we love ... then what's the point ??? Happy and fit is my motto .... just make the numbers work for ya ! :)
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I drink 2 diet sodas daily, and I am still losing!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda most days. I try to make sure I have had my daily water intake first, but after that I dont have an issue with having any : )

enjoy!

Same for me. I was a diet drinker all day long. But now I try to get my water in first and then allow myself one or two diet drinks a day.
  • cioccatapioca
    Options
    People have their own ideas on if soda is ok or not.... of course water is better but if you want a soda and you're on a diet, diet soda is great!!!! It's got 0 calories and it really doesn't contain THAT much sodium, especially if you only have 1 fountain drink a day!!!! It's a nice, 0 calorie way to get that caffeine fix. I lost 12 lbs dieting the last time, drinking diet whenever I pleased. Just do what you think is best and when you still see results after drinking it YAY FOR YOU!
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do not drink any kind of soda. These drinks are loaded with chemicals and just unhealthy.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I keep it out of my diet, but for me, it's more about "eating/drinking clean" rather than "weight loss". It depends on your own personal philosophy.

The best diet drink out there really is water.

I absolutely agree! Personally, I found that giving up artificial sweeteners actually STOPPED my cravings for sweets, and my mood improved tremendously.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Eighty two coke zero saturated pounds says diet soda is delicious and doesn't stop weight loss.

My health is incredible, my teeth are strong, life is good and the coca cola corporation gets at least $2 a day out of me to support my habit. My delicious, HEALTHY habit.
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love soda but I try to avoid it because the more I drink it the more I crave it and I find if I drink diet I am more likely to crave regular. For me I think its something I do not need in my diet because at best it has no nutritional value for my diet and at worst it could have negative affects on my health and my teeth.
  • cstricklin81
    cstricklin81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Be aware that the sodium listed on the label is per SERVING, not per bottle or can. A 12 oz can is usually 2 servings, so if you drink the whole can, the sodium is double what is listed on the can.

Wrong.

A 12 oz can of soda is always 1 server, it is the industry standard.

Energy drinks, not so much.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Like the saying goes, "Everything in moderation". It's a hell of a lot better than eating the king size snickers bar that i used to eat 2-3 times a day and has fewer calories. Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite too! Enjoy.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    45 lb lost, much of it floated away on a veritable sea of Coke Zero.
    I choose not to worry about it.
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like the saying goes, "Everything in moderation". It's a hell of a lot better than eating the king size snickers bar that i used to eat 2-3 times a day and has fewer calories. Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite too! Enjoy.

I guess this is just a difference of opinion because I do not see having something everyday, even one a day, as moderation, I think of moderation as once or twice a week or less.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% certain, but a fountain drink soda probably contains even LESS sodium than a can or bottle, since it's sold as a syrup and the carbonation and water (and lots of ice) is added in the fountain at the store or restaurant. Cans and bottles need a longer shelf life.
  • KimsWeightloss
    Options
    Hi,
    Here is something I just read and I will quote here, It might help you decide. Personally I am frightened by artificial sweeteners. My sister in law had a brain tumor removed and still has seizures. She cannot drive because of the seizures.
    Here is the quote I recently read.
    "Two, the number of diet sodas per day to potentially increase your waistline six times more than if you weren't drinking any at all." University of Texas Health Science Center
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I drink no less than 3- 24 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi a day everyday and have managed to lose 288 lbs. so in my opinion I think it is just fine....... Just my 2 cents......
  • Kev383601
    Options
    I try to avoid soda of any kind when at all possible. I'll take the water.

I know a lot of people who stopped drinking soda period, and dropped a lot of weight just from that.
  • jacki0486
    jacki0486 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    From a weight-loss perspective, switching to diet soda is good if you're used to drinking a lot of the regular stuff... But from a health perspective, you should wean yourself off of the stuff altogether.

The sodas made with Splenda are a crock... "Splenda tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar"... sure, but what they don't tell you is that they strip the calories away by bathing the sugar in CHLORINE. Do you really want that in your body?

And I don't know about asparthame turning into methanol like one poster said, but there is a lot of reserach out there about how it breaks down into its parts in our bodies... and one of those parts is FORMALDEYHDE. Yep - the stinky stuff they use to keep dead bodies hydrated for disection. The debate is over how much of the formaldeyhde is absorbed by our bodies.

Personally, I've avoided diet sodas since I was 12 and discovered they were the reason for my stomach problems and headaches.

If you really don't want to give up sodas, pull a bait-and-switch. Make your own "soda" by mixing club soda or sparkling water with a little lemon juice and/or lime juice and sugar to make a 7-up sort of drink and over time decrease the amount of sugar you use. You can do the same thing with other drinks like iced tea, chocolate milk, kool-aid, etc. After a while you won't even notice the lack of sweetness.

Peace, Love & Veggies!

~Jacki
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    From a weight-loss perspective, switching to diet soda is good if you're used to drinking a lot of the regular stuff... But from a health perspective, you should wean yourself off of the stuff altogether.

The sodas made with Splenda are a crock... "Splenda tastes like sugar because it's made from sugar"... sure, but what they don't tell you is that they strip the calories away by bathing the sugar in CHLORINE. Do you really want that in your body?

And I don't know about asparthame turning into methanol like one poster said, but there is a lot of reserach out there about how it breaks down into its parts in our bodies... and one of those parts is FORMALDEYHDE. Yep - the stinky stuff they use to keep dead bodies hydrated for disection. The debate is over how much of the formaldeyhde is absorbed by our bodies.

Personally, I've avoided diet sodas since I was 12 and discovered they were the reason for my stomach problems and headaches.

If you really don't want to give up sodas, pull a bait-and-switch. Make your own "soda" by mixing club soda or sparkling water with a little lemon juice and/or lime juice and sugar to make a 7-up sort of drink and over time decrease the amount of sugar you use. You can do the same thing with other drinks like iced tea, chocolate milk, kool-aid, etc. After a while you won't even notice the lack of sweetness.

Peace, Love & Veggies!

~Jacki

Formaldehyde is a natural ingredient in many fruits, vegetables, meats, and mushrooms. It is processed by your body just like it would be from natural sources. As mentioned earlier, methanol is produced by the body naturally, it's not harmful.

As for the chlorine argument, you know what else has chlorine? Salt. Splenda is sucralose which is just like sucrose except for three of the hydroxyl groups are replaced by chloride. Yes, I do want chloride in my body because it is necessary for most biochemical reactions.

Referring to chemicals such as formaldehyde and chlorine out of context is fear-mongering ignorance. Chemicals have many uses beyond the ones typically associated with them such as corpse preservation or pool cleanliness.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Peace, Love & Veggies!

~Jacki

Formaldehyde is a natural ingredient in many fruits, vegetables, meats, and mushrooms. It is processed by your body just like it would be from natural sources. As mentioned earlier, methanol is produced by the body naturally, it's not harmful.

As for the chlorine argument, you know what else has chlorine? Salt. Splenda is sucralose which is just like sucrose except for three of the hydroxyl groups are replaced by chloride. Yes, I do want chloride in my body because it is necessary for most biochemical reactions.

Referring to chemicals such as formaldehyde and chlorine out of context is fear-mongering ignorance. Chemicals have many uses beyond the ones typically associated with them such as corpse preservation or pool cleanliness.

Personally I prefer to err on the side of safety. Anyway, as a previous poster said, I don't drink soda when I'm eating clean (not because of trying to lose weight), but I'll have a regular one every now and then on my cheat day.