Options

Replies

• SandersWifey
    Options
    Dr. Pepper 10 = :heart:
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I dont think `1 a day will hurt, but I am not a doctor. I have personally noticed that if I drink a lot of diet coke I tend to drink little water and it seems to make me retain water which hampers my weight loss. Then I can turn around and start sucking down the water and the pounds will come right off.My thinking is drink more water than diet coke and you should be ok. If not, just up the water intake.
  • jlfox165
    Options
    <<<<< LOVES diet mt. dew & I drink about 3 a day at least :)
    I love it too, but only have one can a day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Aspertame is bad stuff.
    I love my teeth so no soda.
    I love my pancreas so no soda.
    I love not having heartburn so no soda.
    I love my muscles so I love water and tea and coffee.

But!

Anything in moderation shouldnt kill you.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/403162-are-diet-colas-bad-for-you/
    http://aspartame.mercola.com/
    http://tc.engr.wisc.edu/UER/uer98/author2/content.html <---this hits on how aspartame turns to methanol in the blood stream.

Yummy coke huh?
  • classyhoney
    classyhoney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Diet soda can be considered negative water so just drink what you drank in soda and it shouldn't effect your weight loss. You do what works for you to improve your lifestyle and eating habits. For me it's better to chew a piece of gum with a few sugar alcohols versus eat that slice of cake, pie, or sushi roll.
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I drink it, and enjoy it. For me, it is a way to keep my mind away from Sweets. I drink plenty of water, but water does't stop the desire for something sweet, so if I can sip on a can of DMD or Diet coke instead of grabbing some candy from one of the (many) candy jars at work, then I really think it's worth it.
  • Sweetrayray80
    Options
    My husband and I are addicted to Pepsi Max. It's loaded with caffiene. I know it's not a great addiction, but we call it "crack in a can". I drink an extra 8 ounces glass of water for every soda and have not had any problems. I've lost 57lbs & hubby has lost 106lbs. Depriving yourself of everything good is not something I can do. So enjoy your soda! I couldn't kick it if I tried.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I had given them up for a while, but I've started drinking diet coke again. Though I don't like canned or bottled, it has to be fountain. Weird. But I have no problem with it, I'm trying no to have one everyday but maybe 4-5 times per week. I don't think it impedes my weight loss
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Aspertame is bad stuff.
    I love my teeth so no soda.
    I love my pancreas so no soda.
    I love not having heartburn so no soda.
    I love my muscles so I love water and tea and coffee.

But!

Anything in moderation shouldnt kill you.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/403162-are-diet-colas-bad-for-you/
    http://aspartame.mercola.com/
    http://tc.engr.wisc.edu/UER/uer98/author2/content.html <---this hits on how aspartame turns to methanol in the blood stream.

Yummy coke huh?

Stop with the scare mongering. Methanol, really? The average human being normally creates about 600mg of methanol a day as part of normal metabolism (it's actually a normal component of human breath.) Also, most fruits and vegetables have more methanol in them than diet soda.
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! 13575059.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I say if it keeps you on track, drink it! Have u guys ever tried Pepsi Max?? It's awesome!!!! I like to support Pepsi also because they donate alot of money to 501c charities!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I keep it out of my diet, but for me, it's more about "eating/drinking clean" rather than "weight loss". It depends on your own personal philosophy.

The best diet drink out there really is water.

^^^This. I don't think one diet soda a day will drail you at all. For me, I just like to steer clear of all sodas, but I also don't like the way they make me feel, so it's not hard to avoid them.
  • strgzrlily
    strgzrlily Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Aspertame = Stall = I don't drink it =)
  • strgzrlily
    strgzrlily Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Aspertame = Stall = I don't drink it =)
  • Mz_Exec
    Mz_Exec Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has a negative affect on weight loss. I drink diet soda all the time! While I haven't lost an uber amount of weight yet, it hasn't hindered my progress. Of course, I am on a calorie diet, so I'm "allowed" to have it! lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind, Gatorade is designed to replace what you are sweating out. I don't look at Gatorade as a soft drink that i would drink unless i just finished a long run or ride.

Absolutely. I've just never heard anyone say, "watch out... the sodium in Gatorade will stall your weight loss," like they do about the tiny amount in soda.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is my crack.

Aspartame is completely broken down by the body into chemicals that exist in natural foods. The body uses the chemicals in the exact same way regardless of the source.

Ha! Are you my doppleganger? Not only do we have the same crack, our weight loss has been almost identical. Funny.

I do drink more water than I used to but I still drink at least a couple of cans of Diet Coke a day, sometimes more. I pee clear.
  • redi2
    redi2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke every day usually a few.. Made my goal and decided to lose a 5 more.. I could not get through the day with my diet coke.. :)
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    If you want to mess up your teeth go ahead drink diet soda drinks

Diet Coke has high acidity and lowers the pH of your mouth for up to an hour after you have consumed it. Lowered pH can cause tooth enamel to lose its natural minerals and break down, increasing your risk of decay and causing yellowing. Dentists suggest that if you are going to drink Diet Coke, you avoid sipping it over an extended time
    So does eating citrus fruits. If you follow regular dental hygiene, you shouldn't have an issue.

You may find that Diet Coke helps satisfy your sugar cravings by giving you the sweet taste, without the calories. However, some studies have actually connected artificial sweeteners with increased appetite and even weight gain, such as research findings by Purdue University. A possible explanation for this is that you will eat more after consuming artificial sweeteners because your body is still expecting the calories to match the sweet taste sensation it experienced from the sweetener. Drinking more than two servings a day of artificially sweetened beverages, such as Diet Coke, has also been linked to reduced kidney function by a researcher at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Oj6eW

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Axocv
    Correlation is not causation as a poster mentioned above. There isn't definitive proof that diet soda caused the issues you mentioned above. It's good to be aware, but one shouldn't make conclusions unless the facts are solid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Keep drinking it and leave my post alone
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you want to mess up your teeth go ahead drink diet soda drinks

Diet Coke has high acidity and lowers the pH of your mouth for up to an hour after you have consumed it. Lowered pH can cause tooth enamel to lose its natural minerals and break down, increasing your risk of decay and causing yellowing. Dentists suggest that if you are going to drink Diet Coke, you avoid sipping it over an extended time
    So does eating citrus fruits. If you follow regular dental hygiene, you shouldn't have an issue.

You may find that Diet Coke helps satisfy your sugar cravings by giving you the sweet taste, without the calories. However, some studies have actually connected artificial sweeteners with increased appetite and even weight gain, such as research findings by Purdue University. A possible explanation for this is that you will eat more after consuming artificial sweeteners because your body is still expecting the calories to match the sweet taste sensation it experienced from the sweetener. Drinking more than two servings a day of artificially sweetened beverages, such as Diet Coke, has also been linked to reduced kidney function by a researcher at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Oj6eW

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/266192-diet-coke-nutrition-facts/#ixzz1gu5Axocv
    Correlation is not causation as a poster mentioned above. There isn't definitive proof that diet soda caused the issues you mentioned above. It's good to be aware, but one shouldn't make conclusions unless the facts are solid.

Keep drinking it and leave my post alone

Why should we leave your post alone when it may contain incorrect or misleading information? It's a public forum and we are allowed to rebut your information. Everything that ninerbuff said is accurate.