Does anyone else get irritated by fad diets?

Options
13»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's really just like dating. People waste money and time on the quick fixes, whether it's "The Rules" or the disgusting PUA (pick up artists) approaches online, when it just boils down to "don't be a bumhole, be genuine, be open-minded, and meet lots of people." Eventually, you'll find someone you click with. Same goes with losing weight or getting healthier. Try different foods and exercises until you find the combination you click with.

In both cases, the more deal-breakers and requirements you have, the harder it's going to be. Compromise in a relationship is like moderation in diet. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I get irritated by people telling me that I have to follow one in order to lose weight. I don't care if someone else does it as long as that person doesn't turn into a diet thumper.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed at the people pushing them like they are the new found religion.

You know another fad line I hate.....
    I really really, absolutely 100% believe in eat less, move more. It works.

Do you have any idea how many of us fat people hear that line ALL the time? Do you know how many stop eating all together and move till their hearts give out? Something about the "eat less, move more" idea doesn't really flow well. A body needs energy in order to function.

Michael Phelps has to eat more than 9000 calories to keep up with his pace. Even on this website, if you have a higher active lifestyle, they recommend a higher number of calories. Again... this totally blows the "eat less, move more" concept out of water.

The line should be "Eat smarter and move more".

Eat less doesn't mean eat less than anyone else in the world. It means eat less than you were when you were putting the weight on.

If you want to lose weight, that is what you need to do.

Obviously if you want to achieve a gold medal at the olympics you need to eat to fuel your workout, but pointing out to the average person how much athletes who aren't looking to lose weight, but are aiming for optimum athletic performance while putting their bodies under an inconceivable amount of strain eat isn't actually that helpful.

You don't get fat eating a healthy amount and doing enough exercise. You get fat when there is an imbalance, and for people trying to lose weight, that is what needs addressing.

Actually, I am eating MORE than I did before going into a healthier lifestyle. I listened to the whole "eat less more more" bull crap. When I DID the "eat less ove more", I sent my body into a low sugar starvation mode. Which turned into... more fat.

I have learned that my goal should be to burn fat and build muscle. Eat the RIGHT foods and the RIGHT AMOUNT of it to fuel my body. The heavier weights I lift, the more food I need to consume.

Sure, I suppose the "normal" person does not want to work out or lift weights. Even if their only goal on this journey is to just be skinny. A pretty body whose only purpose is to look little. It all starts with learning how and what to eat and how to move best for their body.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    The HCCG diet really angers me, I can't explain it.

I think because of the crass exploitative nature of it: preying on vulnerable people in a callous way to make money without any real regard for their safety.

Most people are good, kind and want to protect others from harm. It's basic human nature.
    haha, you give me too much credit. I think I get mad at the people doing it and insisting that it works like-really, it's the hormone you're swallowing and not the 500 cals a day that's prompting the weight to drop off?
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I wish google existed when I was a teen because I lost so much money on seaweed pills, weight loss patches, and magic books that promised to melt fat or your money back, but with no return address...
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Almost every fatty, greasy, cholesterol ridden recepie can be "healthified" if you just take the time to try.

I own Evelyn Tribole's "Healthy Homestyle Cooking" and "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking", and they're among my favorite cookbooks. I also own her "Intuitive Eating" book, which boils it all down to: eat what you really want; eat when you're hungry; stop when you're full; pay attention to what you're eating and enjoy it. Kind of what my grandma always used to tell me. :)

I've ordered her "Stealth Health", which looks like more of a how to eat healthy guide ("healthification") than a cookbook. She was BTW the national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association for six years.
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The one that's always killed me is the "magazine" Women's World. Every single week they have a new diet on the cover and it always makes me laugh. "What? You mean that amazing diet you posted last week WASN'T actually the be all and end all?? Now I'm supposed to try THIS one?" http://www.amazon.com/Womans-World/dp/B00006LL1D

For me, any program that tells me what I have to eat and/or what I can't eat.. not gonna happen.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The reason I love MFP is because when someone comes in here asking about the latest fad diet they are quickly told that this site is for calorie monitoring and exercise. If you allow these people to get a foothold in here every thread will be filled with "testimonials" (read: advertisements) for whatever b.s. fad diet has come along to take people's hard earned money.

They actively send out spam to sucker people in. They would LOVE nothing more than to fill page after page of MFP with "secret weight loss tricks to lose 35lbs in a week!" and "the three superfoods that shed pounds magically!" And once that happens this is no longer a site anyone will want to be a part of.

That is not what this place is for. Harmful diets are exposed for exactly what they are here. I don't care if you think I'm not being supportive. I don't care if you "hate all the negativity and the haters". You should be eating more than 500 calories a day and I'm not going to tell you it's ok just because you really want me to.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Michael Phelps has to eat more than 9000 calories

because he is high
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's what worked for me...moved more, ate less. Was easy, cheaper and better/healthier too!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    No I could not care less if someone wants to go on a fad diet
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The HCCG diet really angers me, I can't explain it.

Here in the USA, the FTC and FDA are cracking down on HCG marketers so hopefully that particular dangerous scam has run its course:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/fda-ftc-crack-illegal-hcg-diet-products/story?id=15097915#.TvOQw0obWHQ

Why does it anger me? Because I don't particularly like quackery and rapacious scammers who prey on the poorly informed and gullible.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    No I could not care less if someone wants to go on a fad diet

Actually I don't either.

But I do care about people who go on fad/dangerous diets, lose weight, gain it back (and more) and then go tell everyone who will listen how great it works.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Michael Phelps has to eat more than 9000 calories

because he is high

ROTFL!!!!! :laugh: