Skinny Fat is my goal

Options
14567810»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I (personally) think of the following physical characteristics when I think of "skinny fat":

1. Bat wings
    2. Saggy boobs
    3. Jowls

Common in women who lost a significant amount of weight at some point in their life through diet and little to no physical activity to spare or gain lean muscle mass and did not obtain any form of plastic surgery to remove excess skin.

And look, I'm not here to go on a rant about how awesome it is to lift heavy. I like it, but I understand how some dislike it or don't wish to have muscle-laden legs of steel. You don't have to lift like a bodybuilder to have a trim physique. I lift heavy because I WANT to have an athletic physique.

Regardless of that, you do need to stay active and push yourself. Reading your post you're not against physical activity or staying in shape so why have a goal of "skinny fat"? Why not simply say "I want to be trim" ???

I've never lost a significant amout of weight (unless you consider 25 lbs significant). Bat wings are an increasing problem as I age but I've found the modified push-ups, resistance bands and my 3 - 10 lb weights take care of them so I have no desire to add more wieght. Same goes for the boobs. Pushups, chest flies with 10 lb weights and a good supportive bra (I can't stress the importance of this enough) have kept them pretty firm. They are not what they were 30 years ago, but what is?

I am active and do plenty of cardio regularly. That and the pushups and light weights occasionally is all I really have time for. I don't believe that switching the cario of heavier weights will make me look better, and I know I won't enjoy it as much.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Women are allowed to have soft curves. Men not so much.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't like any of those looks, one is too muscular and the other is too skinny. lol
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just thought of an analogy that might help. Some women wish they could look like Madonna and some wish they looked like Marilyn Monroe. I happen to prefer the Marilyn Monroe look. Some people today might call her a fat "skinny fat".

Marilyn Monroe was definitely not skinny fat. And I've seen a pic of her doing bench presses in the gym. She was strong and healthy, and also had enough bodyfat so she didn't have muscle definition.

Skinny fat (aka normal weight obesity) = high bodyfat %, very little muscle, risk of cardiovascular illness and scale weight within the so-called normal range. And weak, lacking in energy, slow metabolism and maintaining their weight by eating very little. Usually also at risk of osteoporosis (due to a combination of low calcium intake and no exercise).

What Marilyn Monroe and lots of other really nice looking women have is good muscles and a healthy amount of body fat over them. Not too much to look fat, but not so little that you can see the definition of the muscles under it. If the Marilyn Monroe look is what you want to go for then great :) go for it :) but it's not skinny-fat and pumping iron will help you get there. You can control how much bodyfat you have over your muscles, when you get the look you want, raise your calories to maintenance and keep working out.

That was a great explanation. I had never heard the term skinny fat before. I like the Marilyn look more than the Madonna look. So now I know that this takes the right combination of muscle AND fat. :)
  • demonkitten
    Options
    :noway:
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used to be skinny fat when I was running marathons all the time. 112 lbs and no muscle to be found. I thought I looked good. Ugh....
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    A little firm fat feels nice to the touch and it looks good both in clothes and out.

Firm fat?? Does that exist?
    It does. My obese cousin is very firm to the touch. He is big, it's NOT muscle, but he does not jiggle!

I had a similar situation going on with my calves... Super firm to the touch, and huge. I thought they were just muscular, but nope. They are rather muscular, but a lot of it was firm fat.

From what I understand, visceral fat is firm fat because it is deeper withing our abdominal cavity and not as palpable, so making it feel firm to touch. In that case, then wouldn't you not want firm fat? Visceral fat is a big health risk, increased heart attacks, etc. So why would you want to be skinny fat? Wouldn't you just want to be skinny lean? I think OP doesn't want firm fat. She wants muscle to support her fat, so it's not super jiggly. And that is not skinny fat at all.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I (personally) think of the following physical characteristics when I think of "skinny fat":

1. Bat wings
    2. Saggy boobs
    3. Jowls

Common in women who lost a significant amount of weight at some point in their life through diet and little to no physical activity to spare or gain lean muscle mass and did not obtain any form of plastic surgery to remove excess skin.

And look, I'm not here to go on a rant about how awesome it is to lift heavy. I like it, but I understand how some dislike it or don't wish to have muscle-laden legs of steel. You don't have to lift like a bodybuilder to have a trim physique. I lift heavy because I WANT to have an athletic physique.

Regardless of that, you do need to stay active and push yourself. Reading your post you're not against physical activity or staying in shape so why have a goal of "skinny fat"? Why not simply say "I want to be trim" ???

I've never lost a significant amout of weight (unless you consider 25 lbs significant). Bat wings are an increasing problem as I age but I've found the modified push-ups, resistance bands and my 3 - 10 lb weights take care of them so I have no desire to add more wieght. Same goes for the boobs. Pushups, chest flies with 10 lb weights and a good supportive bra (I can't stress the importance of this enough) have kept them pretty firm. They are not what they were 30 years ago, but what is?

I am active and do plenty of cardio regularly. That and the pushups and light weights occasionally is all I really have time for. I don't believe that switching the cario of heavier weights will make me look better, and I know I won't enjoy it as much.

Bat wings also have to do with the loss of elasticity in your skin. Muscles in your arms will help by creating a backbone/support. But it's also something that have to do with aging and genetics.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    i don't think it means what you think it means....

inconceivable!

Please, say this with a lisp! The PRincess Bride is a great movie!!!