Parent Bashing this week

Options

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yeah I noticed all the parent bashing too, gosh I hope I raised my kids to take responsibility for themselves and they don't blame me for everything that could and might go wrong in their lives!! My feeling is that much of the bashing is coming from people without kids too.....weird.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Preach On, Sister!!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • mvandommelen
    Options
    As a teacher I see overweight kids get picked on all the time, I do not bash their parents, but I do take extra time to talk about nutrition in my classroom and set a good example by eating a healthy breakfast and lunch with them. Most of my students are low income and the truth is, cheap food is junk food, it costs a lot more to bring home tons of fresh food and quality meat and when you live below the poverty line, sometimes going the extreme healthy just is not a choice. But I do think we need to educate children on making good choices and also getting them exercising! I take brain break dailiy and we exercise, so many of them need it. I used to get angry that they did not go out and play, but when their neighborhoods are filled with gang bangers and drive bys, I do not think I would let my kids go out side and play either.
    Always try to live a day in someone elses shoes before you judge them!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    French fries and chocolate cake! You terrible parents!
    (as I feed my daughter cheetos and pbj for lunch)
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    NO! There's already alcohol and fake butter on the table! Enough loaded weapons in this pic
    [/quote]

Actually it's apple cider I can see the Martinelli's logo.... But the fake butter is inexcusable! :laugh:
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    All I can say is...

Everyone needs a good piece of chocolate cake. All this dieting is making us cranky

207892_10150546023185366_559405365_18147712_7650749_n.jpg

Ummm I cant believe you just did that.

WOW

really.

I wanted a piece of cake.....Rude. :)

Sorry :(
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    All I can say is...

Everyone needs a good piece of chocolate cake. All this dieting is making us cranky

207892_10150546023185366_559405365_18147712_7650749_n.jpg

Ummm I cant believe you just did that.

WOW

really.

I wanted a piece of cake.....Rude. :)

Sorry :(

Well dont do it again. Next time offer a piece....sheesh. Where are your manners?

Whoa

wait I better not bring up manners

Le Sigh theres only so many things you can say on MFP before someone lashes out at you :))
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    So true.....
    I think many times we are so judgmental of our parent's rearing of us, that we forget that we will need grace from our kids when they are grown and we realize what we did wrong.
    :)

Maybe its because I lost my mom 3 years ago that I have no tolerence for parent bashing! Did she do everything perfect...heck no! She did her best though and it sure would be nice to have her around to ask a few questions NOW as I try to raise my own kids. Did it ever occur to anyone to look at the GOOD things their parents did for them??? We would not be who we are without our parents and they aren't going to be around forever so quite bashing them....and all of us that are trying our best to raise happy healthy (non-judgemental) children!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have a mobidly obese 15 year old son. I know he is fat, he knows he is fat, and he claims he is happy and comfortable in his own skin. I have tried to explain to him the health risks of being obese. He does not care. I don't buy a lot of snacks like chips and candy and cakes and cookies ( Notice they all start with "C") . I buy healthy snacks fruits veggies I allow popcorn. But when he sits down and eats a half of box of cereal at one time what am I to do? I can't be a food Nazi all the time. If I buy cheese, he will eat almost the entire package at once. It is a losing battle!!! I just wanted to share!

Merry Christmas!!!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    NO! There's already alcohol and fake butter on the table! Enough loaded weapons in this pic
    [/quote]

Actually it's apple cider I can see the Martinelli's logo.... But the fake butter is inexcusable! :laugh:
    [/quote]

And a Balloon for heaven's sake! That poor baby...she is in such an awful home...someone better rescue her!

is that a bowl of green beans in the bottom of the pic???
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Amen OP! My kids get a treat every now and then and when we can afford to we sometimes eat out. Sue me!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Oops double post.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    LOL this makes me laugh
    My kids eat pop tarts and fruit roll ups and lunchables and we made christmas cookies
    they also eat brocolli will eat all of my carrots and love corn and peas
    Balance is the key to all things and really whose people need to get a life.
    OH and BTW my kids are on the super skinny side for their age groups they play and run and OMG they eat candy and cookies. Im such a bad parent lol:drinker:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Ahhh, better eyesight than I
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Well... I'm pretty sure there was alcohol on the table that day too. To be fair here.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I have a mobidly obese 15 year old son. I know he is fat, he knows he is fat, and he claims he is happy and comfortable in his own skin. I have tried to explain to him the health risks of being obese. He does not care. I don't buy a lot of snacks like chips and candy and cakes and cookies ( Notice they all start with "C") . I buy healthy snacks fruits veggies I allow popcorn. But when he sits down and eats a half of box of cereal at one time what am I to do? I can't be a food Nazi all the time. If I buy cheese, he will eat almost the entire package at once. It is a losing battle!!! I just wanted to share!

Merry Christmas!!!

See! You are doing what you can to help your son and I am in no position to tell you that you are an awfull mom or that your son should be taken away from you!
    You do what you can and in time he will decide to change as long as you are kind and respectful toward him and you show love and patience. Your family should be the one place you should NEVER have to worry about who you are or what you look like! You go momma! You are doing a good job! Don't let anyone tell you different! Keep at it! It takes time to make changes...we all know that!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am of the school that "it takes a village" to raise children. Everyone in a child's life needs to be a healthy influence and provide positive guidance (within the appropriate bounds of their relation to the child). This also extends to parental peer influence. Parents should be encouraging each other to do the right things as well.

Yes, treats should be allowed. Children should not diet. But activity and healthy eating habits should also be encouraged by everyone.

"People" don't want to be involved, they don't want to interfere, they don't want to be part of the village. This has turned into it being wrong to have any opinion about what others do. This isn't doing anyone any favors - most especially our children. Having a shared value of health and fitness requires society to have an opinion when others aren't doing the right thing. It's not necessarily bashing.

Happy Healthy Holidays! :flowerforyou:
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    LOL this makes me laugh
    My kids eat pop tarts and fruit roll ups and lunchables and we made christmas cookies
    they also eat brocolli will eat all of my carrots and love corn and peas
    Balance is the key to all things and really whose people need to get a life.
    OH and BTW my kids are on the super skinny side for their age groups they play and run and OMG they eat candy and cookies. Im such a bad parent lol:drinker:

Exactly! pbjs and cheetos for lunch is a fair trade when I am going to make them eat veggie beef soup for dinner! Since I allowed some "junk" today they KNOW there will be no arguing over dinner....and if they clean theri bowl and don't throw a fit I will let them have frozen yogurt for dessert! Call the police, I'm killing my kids!

Oh yeah and poptarts with a boiled egg is a "balanced breakfast" in our house!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I am of the school that "it takes a village" to raise children. Everyone in a child's life needs to be a healthy influence and provide positive guidance (within the appropriate bounds of their relation to the child). This also extends to parental peer influence. Parents should be encouraging each other to do the right things as well.

Yes, treats should be allowed. Children should not diet. But activity and healthy eating habits should also be encouraged by everyone.

"People" don't want to be involved, they don't want to interfere, they don't want to be part of the village. This has turned into it being wrong to have any opinion about what others do. This isn't doing anyone any favors - most especially our children. Having a shared value of health and fitness requires society to have an opinion when others aren't doing the right thing. It's not necessarily bashing.

Happy Healthy Holidays! :flowerforyou:

Yes, I agree that it takes a village BUT if you are from a different village then you are only looking from the outside so you can't judge until you spend some time IN the village. Does that make sense? Also, I do agree that childhood obesity is a huge problem in our world today but being rude and judgemental is not going to help that. Maybe a simple suggestion of , "hey, did you try the carrots and broccoli...they are really yummy." Would be a better approach then standing there staring disgustedly at a person. Also, I try to show my kids by MY actions. I try something new...they might do the same thing!
  • JPsFunkyMojo
    Options
    I think what confuses me is the fact that the people debating with each other about other people children "poor" eating habits more than likely have had the same issue themselves once in their lives. And instead of being constructive about it, they are arguing. If they are arguing with people on an online forum, I can't imagine what other angry morals they are teaching their children. I'm not saying everyone as to act like a perfect little angel around kids, but at least calm the eff down so their kids aren't as obnoxious.