Why Aren't Low-Carb Diets Official Advice for Type 2 Diabeti

Options
1235»

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It's like Dr's walk around with a Paper bag over their heads when it comes to the dangers of carbohydrate intake! After pushing Low Fat/ Low Calorie diets, the obesity rate went up!!! Why is that? Because people are eating an insane amount of carbs a day. Those 90 calorie packs of chips, cookies, little cups of fruit filled with sugar, and the list goes on.

What doctors don't realize is that by restricting carb intake, getting a grip on blood sugar levels becomes much easier!

What the medical establishment knows about healthy diet is minuscule, unfortunately. :sad: The only good dietary recommendation that I ever got was to increase fruits and vegetables. But they still insist that we should be eating bread as long as it is whole wheat bread. The only reason for eating grain is when there is famine (grain is a non-perishable way to store calories for consumption during famine). Modern wheats are not very healthy because they have been bred to have a high-gluten content and many people have serious gut issues with a high-gluten diet. The other problem with eating whole grain is that it is very high in phytic acid and phytic acid blocks the uptake of important macro-minerals like iron, magnesium, and zinc. Ironically, the switch to whole grain bread from white bread is likely responsible for causing anemia in children and magnesium and zinc deficiency in everyone. :frown:
  • sjbrenda
    sjbrenda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    that advice sounds " old school" my daughter is a R.D.
    She definitely concentrates on carb intake . Her advice to me, no more than 30 at a snack ,no more than 60 at a meal,no matter the source, can't carry them over use them or loose them, trying to follow that plan , her patients have had great success stories. I am not giving medical advice but she gets really freaked when the "professionals " give outdated advice.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    please stop with this nonsense, what are the dangers of carbohydrate intake?

correlation =/= causation

I'm sure people becoming more sedentary and increasing overall caloric intake played no part in the rising obesity rate, it was all the evil evil carbs

I agree...

when I was first diagnosed with diabetes I was instructed to try the Atkins diet... 2 weeks on phase 1 put me <--> this close to liver failure... I *STILL* (12 years later) have enlarged liver and elevated liver function levels...

I now eat a lot of complex carbs... mainly calorie controlled with a lot of exercise... have lost 77# and am no longer diabetic...

simple carbohydrate intake does have a correlation with diabetes...

but it is about so much more than just carbs
  • abhishek2610
    abhishek2610 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hi Mam

can please quote few glucometer with ketone analyser.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies, very early onset with the second. I followed my prescribed diet religiously and managed to stay off insulin. My nutritionist definitely had me on low carb, in fact all I measured was carbs. Depending on the meal or snack, I fluctuated between 15 and 45 carbs, usually for a max of 90 grams in a day. What amazed me was that they type of food would impact my blood sugar significantly. I could eat a bowl of ice cream but not a bowl of brown rice.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Funny how we're all different. That's why I think it's important to experiment and test yourself after all meals and snacks (1, 2 and 3 hours) until you get a good handle on what your body can handle well without a sharp BG spike.

For me, whole wheat bread, fruit, rice, beans, oatmeal, and similar complex carbohydrates raise my BG levels just as much as a piece of pastry, cookie, ice cream, etc., as long as we're comparing similar calorie values. So, yeah, I can eat more rice than cookies quantity-wise than I can cookies but I still need to be careful with them and keep them in small servings. And I really need to always eat a protein with any kind of carb, complex or not, to minimize spikes. I can eat more of any kind of carbs, including fruit, if I do it just prior to or just after intense exercise.

A higher proportion of fat in the diet doesn't negatively effect my blood sugar levels nor my other health indicators.

In essence, the amount of calories consumed per meal/snack and my activity level seem to have just as much bearing on my BG levels as what exactly those meals consist of. Not counting vegetables. I mean, it seems that I can eat as many carbs as I want at a sitting as long as those carbs are from veggies. Mostly, as long as I keep my servings smaller with multiple feedings each day and keep my protein and fat levels higher, carbs lower, and get in my exercise, I usually do quite well with my readings.

But, gosh, 30 carbs at snacks and 60 carbs at meals would spike my BG levels like crazy. Not saying that's bad advice. It probably works well for some people. Just another example that we need to test and monitor ourselves to see what works best for each of us.