Options

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Irish accent here (being from Ireland!!:bigsmile: )

Love accents. Remember being on a Equestrian holiday in California and one of the ladies in the group was from the south (no idea where - but she sounded like she should have been in Gone with the Wind) and I could listen to her all day,

Love Swedish accent, Scottish, Welsh, very posh english (?? No idea, but I love listening to it) and I like american accents, but I don't know where they are from... I mean, I like certain US accents, but I've no idea where they are from.

Don't like Janice's (Chandlers girlfriend in Friends) accent. Find it very harsh and I've to really listen to catch all the words. Like the Texan accent.. There are loads of other accents I like, but never got the nerve to ask people where their accent was from!! :bigsmile:
  • chugglebunny
    Options
    I'm South East England, Hertfordshire to those who know it (about 10 miles north of London for those who don't) I've been told I sound quite posh by northern friends but compared to proper "queens English" i'm common as muck. Depending on the situation and how fast i'm talking I can get more common or more well spoken.

I'm a sucker for Australian or South African accents, they are both incredibly sexy
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    I was born and raised in Southern Europe .. however I have lived mainly in Australia for 19 years soo my accent sounds Australian but slightly britsh I guess ... So I get told !! It's really different
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Southern Europe .. however I have lived mainly in Australia for 19 years soo my accent sounds Australian but slightly britsh I guess ... So I get told !! It's really different

And here I thought you were a real aussie :P
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    What what, I am from the South West of the UK, where the Scrumpy Cider comes from! Although I don't hear my accent I reckon I talk like a farmer!
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options

Hahahaha !!!! C'mon Jamie ... 19 years in this awesome country .. Makes me half AU
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

Hahahaha !!!! C'mon Jamie ... 19 years in this awesome country .. Makes me half AU

I will grant this.. Only because your an awesome person :D
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    British, Leicester lass here :happy: I don't have a regional accent, per se, however the way I say things is typical for Leicester. I'm told by my friends that I have a very posh accent :noway: which I don't believe. Though saying that, my accent gets posher, more English and more noticeable when I'm abroad :laugh: as my Aussie friends pointed out when I was there for my recent hols!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My mum is from Bucks so when I first joined a new school everyone thought I sounded really posh, but now when I hear myself talk on the phone or anything I sound so northern! Manchester accent wins again! I don't really like it though, I'd rather sit on grars and take barths... Strange?

I love the Geordie accent and I never really liked the Black Country accent, but then I met this really good looking guy from Dudley, and suddenly it isn't so bad... Haha.

haha I think your the first person to say that and Dudley is a really thick Black Country accent did he ask you for a 'kipper tie'
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options

Woop woop! :D

Just for all you non-English people, there's not really any such thing as an 'english accent'.

Accents over here are VERY regional. From Scotland to Cornwall, from Ireland to Hull, everyone has a different accent! Even then, differnet parts of Scotland have different accents for example. Scouse, Geordie, Brummie... the list goes on.

We may not be as big as America, but I'd say our accents are just as diverse.
  • SlowlyFighting
    SlowlyFighting Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My mum is from Bucks so when I first joined a new school everyone thought I sounded really posh, but now when I hear myself talk on the phone or anything I sound so northern! Manchester accent wins again! I don't really like it though, I'd rather sit on grars and take barths... Strange?

I love the Geordie accent and I never really liked the Black Country accent, but then I met this really good looking guy from Dudley, and suddenly it isn't so bad... Haha.

haha I think your the first person to say that and Dudley is a really thick Black Country accent did he ask you for a 'kipper tie'

I probably am! I've read a poll somewhere that it's the most disliked accent of the entire UK, I'm sure that's not true though!

And he didn't, is that rude? It sounds rude.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    British, Leicester lass here :happy: I don't have a regional accent, per se, however the way I say things is typical for Leicester. I'm told by my friends that I have a very posh accent :noway: which I don't believe. Though saying that, my accent gets posher, more English and more noticeable when I'm abroad :laugh: as my Aussie friends pointed out when I was there for my recent hols!

I'm exactly the same, the area where I'm from is mostly farmers and that (haha so typical) and since both my parents are from London areas I have this posh London accent that people always comment on, so round where I live I sound so odd, and the second I'm around people with a different accent to what I'm used to hearing my accent gets posher and posher, it's so embarrassing I just try to not talk!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unless you don't speak at all, you have an accent. Everyone does.

I'm from a small town in New York. The local accent I picked up living there is apparent in the way I say bagel. Short A instead of long. Every time. Drove my Jewish grandmother crazy.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I used to have a strong east end london accent (cockney) but it has softened over the years I've been living in the south west. Now it is a combination cockney/bristolian accent which some people find hilarious. Probably the worst accents to combine together in my opinion :P

tee hee hee - this made me giggle, I can just imagine 'ello 'ello me lover LOL.
    I am not fond of my south west accent I would love to shake it.
  • LissaAlice
    Options
    I'm from Manchester- but I don't have have a strong Mancunian accent, I think it's quite typically British, I get called posh quite a lot, but in my view I'm just well spoken and eloquent....I guess I do like accents, but I think being from the U.K. and having Irish relatives means they do not affect me so much any more! I lived in Nashville for a year when I was about 3, but I think that's just added to my "poshness" as it probably distinguished my parents accents even more due to the contrast!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    haha no no no its not rude at all kipper tie is cup-of-tea read it back with the midlands accent, same as you can't say beer can without sounding like a Jamaican saying bacon :)
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This is too funny, I was just thinking about this less than an hour ago. I don't have an accent but when I get around my family in Northern Minnesota I pick up theirs very quickly and than it takes me weeks to get rid of!

^^ haha same thing with me and the Nebraska//Iowa region
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I dont think I have an accent, but Ive been told that I have a mix of Canadian and a Southern (hillbilly) accent. I have no idea how I got the southerner accent, as Ive never even stepped foot in the US :tongue:
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    im in the Uk, but im 1/4 italian so my accents a cross between welsh/brummy maybe a bit of italian in their too! x