Accents

Options
12346»

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have an accent. I'm in southwest Louisiana...I think I sound "normal" lol. I love the deep Cajun accents though that are found in more eastern parts of Louisiana. I think the only stereotypical southern word I say is ya'll.
  • jbkiwi
    jbkiwi Posts: 2
    Options
    Everyone loves my Kiwi accent (New Zealand)...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    One of my best friend's is from South Africa, and she has a very thick Africans accent except when she gets drunk, then it sounds something like Welsh.
  • alyssaguirguis
    Options
    Lol, OP. I'm from rhode island but have lived in East TN for almost five yrs. when I go home they tell me I'm picking up a southern accent, and when I meet new people here the first thing they say is "not from here, are you?". I do say y'all now because it sounds nicer than "yous" or "you guys.". And my son will call everyone Miss (their first name) or Mr. (their first name) no matter where we live (or I guess Mr or Mrs Last name if it seems more appropriate).
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I lived in upstate NY till I was 6 then was raised in OH. I moved to NC when I was 24, people in NC ask me where I'm from all the time and those from NY or OH often will ask what part of that state I'm from.
    Now when I go home to visit, my family all make fun of me saying that I talk like a Southerner. Honestly I don't have a southern accent though, I just use a lot of the phrases they use here.
    Now my youngest daughter, is so hillbilly I have a hard time understanding her at times. She is definitely all Southern Belle.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Lol, OP. I'm from rhode island but have lived in East TN for almost five yrs. when I go home they tell me I'm picking up a southern accent, and when I meet new people here the first thing they say is "not from here, are you?". I do say y'all now because it sounds nicer than "yous" or "you guys.". And my son will call everyone Miss (their first name) or Mr. (their first name) no matter where we live (or I guess Mr or Mrs Last name if it seems more appropriate).

When he starts saying "ma'am" or "sir" then you'll be even more southern. :smile:
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My wife says I sound like Donnie Baker!! She Lies!!
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian but have been living in NY/NJ for two years. I think I've toned down my accent a lot since I've been here because a lot of people can't understand me otherwise.
    Most of the time people think I'm British, but I have gotten Kiwi and South African as well.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well im a Londoner so i speak like a Londoner, LOL if im speaking English, if im speaking French then i have a French accent
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have been told I have a fairly posh "the Queens" English accent, as I was an RAF kid.

But having lived in Yorksire for 10 years I most certainly have a twang.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a mixed accent - born in S England and lived there 'til I was 8 then moved to Northern Ireland until last year and now back in England. So mostly Northern Irish but a bit English too. Some people think I'm Canadian which is random!

Strangely enough I was talking to a Canadian man on NYE and I thought he was Irish :ohwell:
  • CherryIceGlitter
    Options
    This is the only video I have where you can hear me talk at around 36 seconds (the video is of my dog and cat.. Sad I know!) unfortunately if you 'YouTube' Nottingham Accents you get a bunch of chavs with the worst accent ever!!

OR if you can't be bothered to watch the video then I sound like Robin Hood just a tad higher pitched!
  • MrObundles
    MrObundles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Funny video Nikki cute pets!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I love a guy with an accent. It takes the sexy factor and doubles it. I am especially found of German accents but any accent on a guy is wonderful!!!!!