Anyone else going to be alone Christmas Day - or is it just

Options
grobbygru
grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
Ugh.............Christmas...............My kids are now grown and interstate - my dad died this year - not that I really saw him either - my mother is somewhat 'dysfunctional' I would say and just does Christmas with her husband so they can get drunk - bit hurtful that there isn't even a mention of an invite after all I tried to do to make happy Christmases over the last 24 years - and one brother 'does his own thing' and my other brother lives overseas and never speaks to any of us anyway. So all my friends are usually doing stuff with their families etc and I have no significant other - sooooooooooooo, it is a bit horrible really. I guess the 'up' to it was I only spent 8 bucks this year on some fruit mince pies and brandy custard for myself.

:ohwell:

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat alone? I'm an unwanted extra in the house I'm staying in now (moving next month). The only family I was ever close to was my mother, but she passed away a few years ago. I still call my grandmother sometimes, but that's about it, nobody else bothers to stay in contact. It really makes me wish I appreciated family Christmases more when I was younger. I'm probably just going to stay in my room and wait for everything to be over.

I don't really care about not getting gifts, but I do miss homemade Christmas cookies. It's not really the same if I have to bake them myself...
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    It will just be me and my daughter tomorrow. :(

Makes me miss home really bad
  • FitDC
    FitDC Posts: 63
    Options
    People will always let us down but it is especially hurtful with family. I have a precious group of friends at my small church. We have meals together, go to concerts and on trips together, look out for each other, work on projects in the community, and have a lot of basic joy together. Some have good family lives, some have family in jail, some have no family at all but we are all together and share our talents. Christmas reminds me of how powerful Jesus was when he said, "Forgive them for they know not". He is a gentle, kind friend that sticks closer than a brother. Take care dear one.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow, and I thought I was somewhat alone. It makes me feel very grateful for what I have. I have two boys still at home, one turns 18 the day after Christmas and will be leaving for college next year, the other is 20 and at home. I lost both my parents and my brother (my only sibling) within the past 5 years. I have no other family nearby and it has been lonely during the holidays. There has been no significant other for about 10 years now and the holidays are hard... My heart goes out to you and the others posting on here. I have a church family which has been a tremendous blessing. I miss the days of being with lots of family at the holidays...
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Until this current Christmas season, I have spent the past 7 alone. My daughter (now 23) goes to her father's family because there's lots of presents, food and company. I finally got past the 'loneliness' by convincing myself the Christmas is just ONE day. If you look at it as just another day in the week, you might be able to accept it- handle it-get over it. Things will be back to normal, possibly, tomorrow. Just turn on tv, get on the computer, take a nap, or change the furniture around, go for a walk.... things you would normally do on a day off from work or a Saturday. I don't mean to make light of the empty feelings... that's hard, but if you keep yourself from thinking about it, the day will soon be over. PS, going to church helps, if you are so inclined. :flowerforyou:
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to all of you! I am mourning a failed romance that began around this time last year, so even if I am out with dear Ones, I still FEEL alone..... :(
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My sister has dealt with this issue ( she lives several states away and doesn't travel much) at Thanksgiving by having an annual Harvest Dinner and inviting everyone in their circle of friends to bring a dish to share. This is especially appreciated by those who don't have or for some reason don't 'fit' with close families. Chosen families can be as wonderful or even more so than biological ones. This might be the year to reach out to someone you know who's Christmas you could brighten through an invitation.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I wish to invite all of you who are alone on Christmas to our house!!! :) I think it would be so much fun to meet MFPs! :) Just know that even though it may not be possible to get together in person, MFPs are always here!
    I wish all of you a Merry Christmas! Hugs to you! :)
  • bdette73
    bdette73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will be on a flight to visit my family Xmas day. I once used to spend all my Xmas' alone but most times sitting home alone is lonely and painful. The best thing to do in that situation is to be of service to others. Volunteer somewhere, don't let yourself have a pity party because out there some needs you to come help them. I am fortunate to have family once more to share my holidays and have a lot of gratitude! Thanks MFP family for an awesome end of year and looking forward to a bright future!!!! Bernadette:heart:
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I wish you all lived close to me, you would all be invited over! We always have several "orphans" to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Our "family" grows every year. I'm making homemade mac n cheese for 35 and only about 10 of that is flesh and blood family!Its nice to be surrounded by people that care enough to include you.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    I'm working! Hello bonus money! We don't celebrate until january 7th anyways :P
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be alone, but you have motivated me to do something.

I'm going to post on FB an open invitation for Christmas Dinner to anyone on my friends list who will be alone and lives in my area.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I will be alone after the ex picks up our daughter Christmas day, but for me it is different - I have so little alone time, being a single mom who works full-time, I am looking forward to some peace to reflect and being able to take the dog for a walk (in the new walking shoes Santa in bringing me) in a quiet neghborhood. It is hard to be alone on holidays, I do not mind spending any other holiday with my friends and their families, but Christmas is different.... I am thankful my little girl will be here to open presents together and go to church together, it would be hard to face the day entirely alone! But I often feel more lonely in a group of people on a day like Christmas, when I am acutely aware I am not "family" and/or do not have a "sig other"...
    For those who are alone this holiday weekend, I pray you will find peace and joy in the day no matter what. You have to make your own traditions sometimes, something you will do just for you!
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A few years back, my husband was deployed during our first year of marriage. My parents are/were also disfunctional and didn't do anything for the holidays. I stayed in my pajamas and watched the Lord of the Rings Triology. It was a little sad, but just made it my frump day.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you all will have such lonely Christmases. I would be alone because my kids are going to their dad's house. But I broke down and invited the ex over to hang out. Actually, I do that almost every holiday. Pretty pathetic, I guess. The friendship is good. We just can't live together.

EDIT: By ex, I am obviously not referring to my ex-husband/children's father. LOL! Just in case that wasn't obvious!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Not this year as I have my kids this year. But last year I was. Had thanksgiving with my friends family last year too cause they felt bad for me. This year I was alone. I am a lot. Sucks, but that's how it goes.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I'm alone this xmas...had a christmas dinner tonight i went to just to do something...and will see my mom on Skype...but besides that nothing haha :P don't feel bad~!

think of all the fun stuff u can do alone...such as sit around naked and watch tv, play video games, workout...whatever :D
  • achief192
    Options
    I will be alone as well. I plan on sweating out my sorrows in the gym so that hopefully I won't be alone next year :)
  • I will be alone...various family members have died/moved away in recent years and those who are nearby I am not close to/haven't been invited to theirs...including my SISTER!

Ah sod it, spent last year alone. At least I shan't be needlessly stuffing myself because of peer pressure. Am going to eat normally and go for a run and just do some nice things for myself (long hot bath :)).

I have also just come out of a relationship - he gave me Christmas last year, we had a Christmas lunch together, so that is a bit tough but what will be will be.

Looking forward to New Year :)
  • december8teen
    Options
    People will always let us down but it is especially hurtful with family. I have a precious group of friends at my small church. We have meals together, go to concerts and on trips together, look out for each other, work on projects in the community, and have a lot of basic joy together. Some have good family lives, some have family in jail, some have no family at all but we are all together and share our talents. Christmas reminds me of how powerful Jesus was when he said, "Forgive them for they know not". He is a gentle, kind friend that sticks closer than a brother. Take care dear one.

This. :)