Anyone else going to be alone Christmas Day - or is it just

Options

Replies

• GabriellaMaria
    GabriellaMaria Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    was on my own last year, still dont know if i will be this year or not...will probably work, but if i have some money..might just find me on your doorstep, with a plate knife and fork!! lol :smile:
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    wow, how time flies! I had no clue it was that time of year again. I've had the urge to put up the tree and outdoor lights but couldn't for the life of me figure out why I had the urge.

Glad this yellowed old thread rolled back around so I got it up in time.:tongue::smokin:

:drinker: Cheers for a safe New Year!
  • Pinkydo1
    Options
    your not the only one, I have no children, family 4 1/2hrs away, the sister I do have hear, only has her husband and kids for christmas over, it sucks. Specially when people ask you "what are you doing for christmas" or they think you are going to your sisters cause she is in same town as myself but I dont want to make her look bad for not inviting me to special occasssions knowing that I will be alone. So It SUCKS
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Small family dinner here and thats about it. Thought it was going to be more but some family went out of town.

Merry Christmas! I know the feeling of being alone on Christmas and its not too good. Hope you all have a happy day otherwise. :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend spent Christmas by himself last year, and actually loved it. I had flown home for Christmas, his family was too far, and we had only just moved to the area, so there were no long time friends he really felt like spending Christmas with (though I think he may have gotten a few offers).

Basically, he spent all day watching James Bond films, grilled himself a giant steak and made some other really good food, and just treated himself. I called him later in the day to see how he was doing, and he was just having a merry old time. It's what you make of it.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah... It's just me, 2 dogs, 2 cats, the leaky ceiling that the landlord won't call me back about because it started Christmas Eve, laundry, and some cleaning. Oh, and pizza. I have no family nearby, and one (count it, ONE) friend in the area. To be completely honest, I'm really enjoying my day. :)

Merry Christmas, everyone!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I stay with my folks now and I'm lucky I get to spend Christmas with them. But when I lived alone and didn't have much to do on Christmas Eve, I would volunteer at AA Christmas Eve meetings or whatever. There's always lonely people out there and when I am helping you, I'm not thinking about me!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My son is with his dad this xmas,,,so I am sortof alone. I actually volunteered to work (I'm a nurse) just because I knew this xmas it was my ex's turn to have our son. I have him this weekend though so we shall celebrate xmas a 2nd time! or at least he will. Looking forward to that!

But yeah, off to celebrate xmas by working! So I won't be alone..but it's not the same. Oh well, at least I shall be busy.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    This year I won't be alone, but I feel quite confident that I'll be the only non coupled off person. And that in itself isn't particularly pleasant.

I have spent past Christmases alone though.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I'm alone today as my daughter's are with their Mother this year and they are out of state for the holidays. My family all live out of state also. I was with a great friend and his family last night, but going solo today.

Just keep busy! I Skype family and good friends also. PS, I'm still having a very nice special Xmas dinner.
  • spark_h
    Options
    Hello MFPs! I'm alone this year in norther Va. Family is 5 hours away, I cannot travel due to work, and have a dependent older sibling at home who stresses me out. Broke up with bf (and he's traveling overseas anyway), and friends are either with their own family and one friend just rather stay home alone. But I'm enjoying a quiet day at home - cleaned a bit, actually had time to read the all news I wanted , and made myself a nice lunch.

For any loners out there today, please do something nice for yourself and don't feel bad. Think of all that you do have, whether it be health, sanity, life experience and wisdom, courage and dignity to go on in spite of life as it is, and other things that don't have a price tag but is so valuable, to yourself and everyone around you. My smiles and hugs go out to you. Merry Christmas.
  • LethainIowa
    Options
    I'm with just my dog today. My husband was killed in October '11, and my only sibling lives 12 hrs. away. I'm making the best of it. Got my dog lots of gifts......
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I ended up having one of the best Christmas days of my life after all that!!! Isn't it funny how things can turn around?
    My cousin that I haven't seen in 30 years + (the whole family) invited me to his gathering. A friend from the other side of the country had phoned me that morning and said I should be contacting another friend of ours that lives here as he was alone also - so he ended up coming over and driving me to my cousins place and we all had the best time ever!!!!! It was so good I suffered a bit the next day - but all good now :-).

Hope you all have a wonderful New Year.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:

How wonderful! :)
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Finding things to do. Most friends are busy. My only real family is my brother, in law, and nephew. We talked on the phone earlier. They are actually spending the day just the three of them. I actually got out my guitar earlier and played. It felt good. I try to be happy with what I have... My poodle loves me, and she is definitely happy I have the day off!

Cheer up!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I get to see my 5 year old briefly, but other than that I am alone. I'm sick anyway, so television and sporadically working out will pass the time. . . I'm sorry you are alone too. :cry:
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I know your struggle to a small extent; my dad has been in the hospital for three months and hasn't been in the right mind for over a week now; I don't have much else going on family-wise, no kids or significant other (still kind of smarting over a recent opportunity that simply didn't pan out), I may visit a friend and his girlfriend later on though.

Just hoping that next year as a whole goes better than this one!
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I will be alone. My daughter is not speaking to me and that means I don't get to see my granddaughter. :brokenheart:
  • elkhorncypress
    Options
    My thoughts are with you. Been there often. Bless you for the courage to speak your feelings.

The loving couple that raised me were my grandparents and they are long since gone. My school years had to be with my dysfunctional, downright abusive, birth family but summers were blessings with Gramma and Grampa. I raised a daughter alone; I never married until she was 26 years old. Holidays for me often brought thoughts of unpleasant memories. One day I started to make "new" memories by doing something, buying something, watching something, or whatever could create a spark in me that could counter the old memories. Since Christmas' of the past were mostly with birth family, all I could do was look at old black and white photos of me under the age 6 putting Christmas balls on the tree at Gramma's. So, at the age of thirty something, I started looking for just the right tree ornaments, getting just one or a few that really captured my heart; often, they were angels. I made sure I relished in the moment during the ornament search, often having coffee and a Starbucks cranberry bliss bar. I would have them wrap it special as if it was a gift. With lighting candles all over my home and boiling some holiday tea bags with cinnamon sticks added, I found the smell could permeate the sadness that often wanted to take over. This Christmas I do have my husband but others in my family are far away, a few of them I never want to see again. My daughter is without a car and 100 miles away but she and I will chat on the phone. Take care and know that others appreciate your honesty. May there be at least a few good memories from this season for you to enjoy. :flowerforyou:
  • ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i am working today so i wont be alone but i will be at work guess it is somehting i have to do when in healthcare industry