What's your Job?

Options

Replies

• Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am a qualified psychologist but there was no money in it so...
    I got into IT and got heavily qualified and experienced but didn't want to read technical books as a hobby so...
    Went into IT process and am now managing a team to make sure they deliver the services that we sell (Service Delivery Manager) and generally get paid to talk and manage people and expectations for a living.
    When I grow up, I'd like to be... TBA
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    No degree for me but a qualified accountant, I'm Head of Finance and resources so basically internal and statutory accounts, human resources and I write all the legal contracts and ,manage the performance on them, I love my job a little tooo much 90 hour weeks just aren't good - my ideal job mmmmm I'd love to be a midwife or a vet - but I love what I do and you get to the stage especially as a single parent where making a change and dropping salary just doesn't work plus my boss is fab so I have tons of flexibility and can train during most peoples work hours and work while ermmm most normal people sleep hehehe
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have an OND in institutional housekeeping and catering, which I got when I was 18, spent a couple of years in catering, which I loved but hated the management side.in my thirties I took teaching degree, B.Ed (Hons) and I'm now a primary school teacher in a special school for children3-11 with autism, ASD and communication difficulties. I'm the school IT co-ordinator, I love my job. Really glad I did other things first and no regrets about giving up catering .
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I am a CSR (customer service rep) for a finance company. I do like my job, BUT i have zero time! I work like 45+ hours a week. I'm taking online classes for Elementary education. I want to have a career where I have time to spend with my family and future children. So elementary ed is perfect for me. Hours are 7ish till 3 or 4 and you have summers off!

I am in the work field right now and my only advice is choose a career where you can still have a life and family, bc no matter what you decide you need time for yourself and time to workout and family time. Right now I don't have that so I get depressed. If I want to work out I have to get up at 5am OR go after work at 7pm and If I had children I would only see them for like 30 mins while I get them ready for daycare, (bc I work) or to put them to bed at night. That's what keeps me motivated to finish for elementary ed.

Good luck!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm a high school social studies teacher and I love teaching the kids but hate the politics that go with it.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    My degree is in psychology and I was attending school for my masters in social work when we began our family. I took a break from school to raise our kids and never returned. I've held several volunteer board positions and enjoy doing it. For the past 10 years I've been a consultant for Pampered Chef and I absolutely love the freedom and perks that come with owning my business like setting my own hours around our family schedule and around my workout schedule. Although I love what I'm doing (partying for $) if I could do it over again- I would have listened to my mom who kept telling me to study nutrition because that's a field I love learning about. Psychology was something I am intuitive with and the person people share things with, but food and nutrition is fascinating to me. Mom was probably right :)
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    UPS driver. Good pay and benefits, but a lot of b.s. to deal with. I am able to take care of my family, so it's worth it.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Im an Autism Associate. I support adults with autism with their every day life. I love it, and wouldnt change it for the world!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I'm an English professor with a specialty in medieval literature. I love my job! It's hard work and it took a long time to get here, but I don't regret it at all. I love to teach and mentor students and I love to write, so it's the perfect job for me.

oooh, a fellow english lover. medieval is tough! i preferred renaissance. :) congrats on achieving such a goal!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    just wanted to add that this was a GREAT topic! i love reading about all the different things people do and LOVE. such incredible variety.

thanks all for sharing!
  • mortla
    mortla Posts: 73
    Options
    Dispatcher and full time paralegal studies student!
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am a Vice President of Manufacturing and the Quality Manager for a Business in Ohio! I love my job and went to school to learn the tools of my trade! Can't think of what else I would want to do except travel for a living! Would love to see the rest of the U.S.A. someday! I guess that is what retirement is for!
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have my B.S. degree in Criminal Justice and I'm currently obtaining a Master of Social Work degree in Clinical Social Work. So far, I'm enjoying it! Only 1.5 years to go, haha.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Love the the variety skill-sets that all of you MFP'ers have! I feel like this website is my 1-stop shop for all sorts of information.

I'm a full-time student majoring in IT security (Comp Sec/Info. Assurance), specializing in database security with an interest in risk management.
    Currently doing military-type work and am an intern at a coffee company. I feel like I have too heavy of ADD to be sitting in an office all day long. But I love coffee and they sure give me more than enough of it!

*would love to start up my own consulting firm one day*
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Background in Law Enforcement, Bach deg in Electronics Engineering.... I've been professionally training dogs for nearly 10 years. LOL
  • Deathscall
    Options
    I am a 24-year-old PhD student, graduate teaching assistant, and funeral transport driver and I LOVE all 3! I have my BA & MA in Sociology with a focus on Thanatology/ death & dying, and I'm currently working on my PhD in the same field. I've worked at the funeral home for 5 years and even though people think it's strange or morbid, I think it is hands-down the best job in the whole world! My actual job is picking people up where they pass away and transporting them to our central care embalming facility. When I finish my PhD (only 2.5 years to go!), I hope to be a tenured professor of Sociology/ Thanatology at a research university. :)
  • sandrasayre
    sandrasayre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I AM A RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST SPECIALIZING IN CT AND MRI---LOVE LOVE MY JOB -:love: -I HAVE WORKED IN MY PROFESSION FOR 36 YEARS......IT IS VERY INTERESTING.....AND FUN...AGAIN I LOVE MY PROFESSION........:wink::happy:
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Background in Law Enforcement, Bach deg in Electronics Engineering.... I've been professionally training dogs for nearly 10 years. LOL
    What happened?! lol
    Those fields are so wildly unrelated, it almost sounds like a joke!
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a BS in Health Psych (almost completely useless degree) and am working on a Master's of Science in Midwifery right now. I don't *have* to have a degree to be a direct entry midwife and I certainly don't need the level of degree I am getting or one that is as freaking expensive as mine, but it is the program that appealed the most to me...
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am an RN now, but I had originally intended to be a biochemist.. I was going to school to earn my chemistry degree, when I had my daughter. I'd actually started out at the local community college to obtain the first two years of the chemistry degree and had her just about three weeks after getting my A.S... Little did I know how she would utterly change everything I'd ever planned... she was born with a very rare inborn error of metabolism.. a disease with a complicated biochemical problem.. It was so difficult just keeping her alive those first two years, and I became an expert in recognizing the clinical manifestations of her decompensations.. It became instinctual, and I got really good at reading her labs and determining the treatment we'd need to institute because of them.. even better than many of the doctors that treated her along the way. People around us began to take notice at how smoothly I'd seemed to master this very complicated process and separate myself from the grief that this can cause the mother of the child in question. I could face the problems objectively instead of getting muddled by the panic that was natural to most mothers of sick children. People began to comment that I was so good with her that I should become a nurse. I immediately objected. I don't like people. I didn't want to have to get up early. I wanted to work by myself, in a lab, mixing chemicals. But, I heard the same argument enough times from many different people that I relented. I returned back to the community college, which had one of the best nursing schools in the state. I sailed through the program (not to say it wasn't tough, I'd just seen my share of much tougher days, that's all) and graduated top of my class. I earned my RN six weeks later, passing my boards in under 30 minutes (it can be an up-to-five-hour test). I told myself at the time that I was just doing this temporarily.. that it would keep me sharp until I could return to school to pursue my original love - chemistry.. but the fact has become that I love nursing. I love that it does keep me sharp, I never see the same situation twice. And it does help me with my daughter, too. I can talk 'shop' with the doctors and nurses that care for her when she's in the hospital, they become comfortable with me right away, and can be more honest and up front about her situation and plan of care than they can with 'normal' parents. This has lead to an unmatched teamwork atmosphere that results in optimal care for her while she's ill. But I'm glad everything worked out the way it did, because I truly love my job.. I get to be a big part of others' lives for a while, I get to make a difference pretty much every time I work. I will never want for a job again, I'll never be unemployed unless I want to be.. I'll always have benefits, and I'll pretty much be able to work anywhere I desire. And because I obtained my degree at a community college, my education paid for itself in the first MONTH that I worked, and I have absolutely NO debt for my schooling. It really is a no brainer when it comes to career choice.