American accents?

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
Question for those of you not in the US:
Of all American accents, which do you find most pleasant? Most annoying?
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I am curious.

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure if I count... I lived in Germany for a year (with Germans and stuff, haha, not in an American city). After a few months I could easily pick out Americans by hearing an accent across the room (without even comprehending words).
    Personally, I found the accent from Ohio really raunchy. I'm not sure why, it just bothered me.
    I found the accent from the west coast the best and most pleasant. Again... no clue why, haha.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've never thought of myself to have an accent.. Interesting topic.
  • rchiecuto
    rchiecuto Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    hottest is definitely UK or australia.
    i find any sort of asian to be annoying...sorry. i may be biased tho because i was at work once and i couldn't understand this oriental lady very well. then she got mad, and said i was stupid and didn't know anything.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    As an American (sorry, but no one else seems to be responding), the only two accents I just don't like are the twangy Texan accent and the "typical New Yorker" accent.

My favorite? A proper southern ladies accent (like in old movies)
  • rchiecuto
    rchiecuto Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    lol i am in the US, i just felt like sharing :D
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Most pleasant, just a neutral accent that doesn't really sound like anything. I like clean diction and being easily understood.
    Most annoying, a deep southern accent. Yes, I'm from MS. I find it hard on the ears as well. And no, I don't have one.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I was just curious cuz we post about our own preferences and I always wonder how different we all sound to those not American.
    I kinda get a kick outta the way chavs talk, dunno why lol.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    As an American (sorry, but no one else seems to be responding), the only two accents I just don't like are the twangy Texan accent and the "typical New Yorker" accent.

My favorite? A proper southern ladies accent (like in old movies)

Uh...it depends what part of Texas you're from There's a East Texas accent , West Texas accent and a South Texas accent.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    As an American with a subtle Louisiana/southern accent, yet very proper manner of speak.....I am asked constantly where I'm from. Our European family members find it very amusing. Yes, I went to finishing school. Gosh, get over it.

I find them amusing too, so no harm =)

I think my favorite is a Texas accent. I have a soft spot for cowboys.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    and I'm from Montana ... we don't have accents.
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    and I'm from Montana ... we don't have accents.

Lucky. lol. The Montana part... Dont care about the accents part. :wink:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,904 Member
    Options
    Most pleasant, just a neutral accent that doesn't really sound like anything. I like clean diction and being easily understood.

Sorry, everyone has an accent. What sounds neutral is probably because it is commonly heard on TV.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    haha i love when people get offended over nothing. i'm american but i hate the michigan accent. yes i live in michigan and i can't stand the accent of a lot of people here. like when people say 'melk' instead of 'milk' *shudder*

as far as non-american accents i love japanese and british accents. scottish accents annoy me.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I am from Southern California, but I will answer anyway.

A nice, smooth southern accent is nice, but only if the person doesn't say y'all every other word.

As far as somewhat obnoxious, I would say the thick jersey accents. Maybe its just because Jersey shore has made it seem so trashy. I apologize to all the people from Jersey who have to say Snooki is from their home state.
  • laineyy011
    Options
    Well, I am from South Alabama, so you can only imagine the southern draw that I have :p

My favorite accent would have to be Australian <3
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a mid-western/lite southern accent. Lots of family in the south and i currently live in TN but I've spent many years in Western Missouri.

I melt if i hear Scottish accents and northern Englishmen accents. My uncle and his family all live in Dublin Ireland and could listen to them talk for days on end as well. But if you want to make me weak in the knees, be Scottish. (it maybe because of the years i was learning to speak we lived in Scotland...who knows.)
  • dobrien323
    dobrien323 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm from Maryland and as far as I know, I personally don't have an accent. There are some in this area that do though. I pronounce everything properly though. I love slight southern accents though. I was in Auburn, AL a few months ago and it was like being in heaven listening to the women talk. It wasn't too strong but it wasn't non-existent either.
  • laineyy011
    Options
    What can I say? Us Alabama women just have that charm :p lol
  • BundangKiwiGal
    BundangKiwiGal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm from NZ and have not mastered the art of pinpointing where an American is from.
    I frequently mistake Americans for Canadians, and vice versa. Sorry!!!

How can you tell the difference?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan, and I'm constantly told that I sound Canadian.