plank, how long can you do it?

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    20-30 seconds...we do these in my bootcamp class every week so I am getting better...sort of...
  • lucybell333
    Options
    Oh my goodness - I can't even imagine that! I can normally manage 20 seconds, maybe 30 seconds max on a really good day. However, this morning I managed to strain a muscle just 12 seconds into my first one, and that was game over for any and all abs work! :ohwell:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    30seconds, but like in 1 Mississippi type seconds, lol. so maybe more like 45-60seconds
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I have never tried more than 2 min at a time, but I think I could probably do 2.5 mmaayybbee 3 but lets not push it..lol.....I have done 20 min worth of planks in a day but not all in one setting. Wow..lady has serious core action going to do 37 min...rock on!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    New approach in the Pilates class I teach, and more than half the class (average age 60 plus) mastered 2:30 minutes. Here's the approach: We talked about movies up for Oscars. It was done really fast.
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    How long can you hold your plank? (on your elbows with great form) just curious. I heard the world record was recently set by a 71 year old woman at 37 minutes!

37 minutes! that is insane

with good form i can do it for 6.5minutes max until my back starts to hurt a little.
  • c2sky
    Options
    How long can you hold your plank? (on your elbows with great form) just curious. I heard the world record was recently set by a 71 year old woman at 37 minutes!

37 minutes! that is insane

with good form i can do it for 6.5minutes max until my back starts to hurt a little.
    unless I'm mistaken, you hold the unofficial plank record. Anyone beg to differ?
  • nicshaw95
    nicshaw95 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can do 3 mins and I was impressed with myself as I'm suffering a shoulder injury at the mo.but hearing others can do 5 mins, well that's my next challenge once my shoulders are better!
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    update... 2:07!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just tried... Got to 2:11 before my cat Pippin started body slamming me. He rubs hard!
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Are you all doing the plank in hands or elbows? I haven't tried elbows is it easier or harder than hands?
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I usually do hands, but this time I did elbows. It seems a little harder to me on elbows, but it might just be that it's not what I'm used to.
  • c2sky
    Options
    update: On Valentine's Day, I turned on L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole 2 minutes and 31 glorious, melodic seconds! About 1/2 the class did a plank the entire time (average age about 62)

So maybe instead of a time goal, pick a song, and last the song. People were singing instead of groaning. It was great!
  • c2sky
    Options
    I usually do hands, but this time I did elbows. It seems a little harder to me on elbows, but it might just be that it's not what I'm used to.

Elbow plank is harder because the force of gravity is more. You are more parallel to the ground.
  • c2sky
    Options
    current mfp record 6.5 minutes by duharvalgt
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    current mfp record 6.5 minutes by duharvalgt

So if we want to beat that time, we should aim for all 7:11 of "Hey Jude." :wink:
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    8 minutes 14 seconds. First thing in the morning at a fasted state :P
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Ok... we'll need to try for 8:41 of Don McLean's "American Pie."
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Lol I like that. I might have to do it to music. Sounds like it would help with boredom lol. When I did the 8 plus, I was watching the lion king on my iPhone that was placed right under me.
  • c2sky
    Options
    Lol I like that. I might have to do it to music. Sounds like it would help with boredom lol. When I did the 8 plus, I was watching the lion king on my iPhone that was placed right under me.

o.k. new record 8:41 by ster81. Damn, that's pretty good. How long is "Stairway to Heaven?"