Almost Naked?

FitForeverAgain
FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
edited October 6 in Fitness and Exercise
Question for gym goers...I'm quite modest at the gym, in fact, I almost always wear long sleeves. I like the additional heat retention, and don't really need to compare delts with the guy next to me. My question is this: How do you feel about the guys who wear almost nothing - i.e. skimpy muscle shirts? How about the women that wear the bun huggers and almost non-existent tanks? And I'm not only referring to the very fit people...it seems so many people that aren't close to in shape like to wear this stuff!!! Good with it or disgusted?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Each to their own, really, I think. I don't mind how people dress at gym as long as their clothes are reasonably clean. It doesn't impact on me in any substantial way.

There's a woman at my gym who is built like an amazon. She's beautiful to look at, and I find her very inspiring - she's what I want to be when I shrink a lot! She tends to exercise in a bra top and a small pair of shorts. And it's fine. It isn't remotely sexual, I don't feel uncomfortable with it, it clearly is what she finds comfortable for her programme, and I'm absolutely fine with that.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    When im in Bikram Yoga its fine its nasty and hot But at a GYM i think people need to put it away
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Guys, NO!!! Girls yep. Nah, I think some people may be getting into shape and wear stuff too small, (Unifroms at work, scrubs) I have once or twice but my friends call me out of it. Its a mental thing I have lost this weight and I have worn stuff way too big to hide in now I want to show people I'm no longer a fat guy. I for wearing stuff that shows a lot of skin, NO!!! Guys or girls.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    i try not to judge what other people are doing/wearing at the gym. im just focused on my next set.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    i would work out naked if i could. and sometimes i do, in my own home.

but no, i care enough about other people that i wear loose fitting clothes to the gym. seeing too much of other people is disgusting. especially in that state.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Theres a guy in my gym, who wears a cap backwards and when he benches he takes it off, he often wears the vests you're talking about.

Worse yet, theres this guy who's roided up to the gills and loves to do his narcissist poses, and once when i was doing DB press, he came up behind me and pulled down his trousers to admire his quads in the mirror. I almost dropped a dumbell on myself!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    I'm with you. I'm quite modest at the gym, full length pants and a guys t-shirt most days (even if they are getting a little big right now). I do think that there is a line though. Some girls at my gym come in full make up, tiny string strap vest tops and shorts that might as well be knickers, whereas the majority (if not dressed like me) wear quite sensible sports leggings and tank tops.

What I do have more of a problem with are the people who sit with the magazines and kindles out while on the machines or having their daily catch up with the woman next to them or on their phone. I mean if I'm in a fit enough state to talk while I work out, I'm not working out hard enough
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Personally I can't stand wearing pants when I exercise so I prefer either the tight shorts that come down to my knees or mesh shorts. On top I wear a t-shirt or tank at the gym at home just my sports bra. I don't care what others wear as long as they wipe off the equipment after using it.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    I wear loose yoga type pants and a tank top. I can't stand to be over warm when exercising so normal t shirts or long sleeves are not for me. I would never wear shorts or tight pants though until I am smaller. This is pretty much what most people wear at my gym.
    It doesn't really bother me what others wear as long as there is not *kitten* cheeks hanging out of shorts that's not a good look!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    Hahaha I know what you mean. There is a guy at my gym who wears a neon colored 80's tank top....almost as if he is working out on muscle beach. Its hilarious. I don't mind what the woman are wearing as long as it fits them correctly LOL
  • This content has been removed.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 616 Member
    Theres a guy in my gym, who wears a cap backwards and when he benches he takes it off, he often wears the vests you're talking about.

Worse yet, theres this guy who's roided up to the gills and loves to do his narcissist poses, and once when i was doing DB press, he came up behind me and pulled down his trousers to admire his quads in the mirror. I almost dropped a dumbell on myself!

this made me spit water on my keyboard!!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I don't really care what people wear, unless they really look like a hot mess.. then the fashionista in me wants to go running up to them and be like WTF.. did you look in a mirror?! ( Case in point, Trainer that wears shorts and calf high socks, Lady in flip flops while in the weight area, and a guy that works out in his boxer shorts!)

When I first started going to the gym, I had very few workout clothes.. and what I did have was baggy sweats, oversized tee's etc. Now that I've lost a good chunk of my weight, I'm starting to wear the more fitted tights and tees because I want to show off how hard I worked.. but you will never ever catch me in just a sports bra, running around the gym.. even tank tops are a stretch. I like having sleeves :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    I work out at a women's gym, and what people wear there hasn't bothered me yet, but I guess that attraction (or its opposite, revulsion) is mostly taken out of the equation there.
  • i would work out naked if i could. and sometimes i do, in my own home.

HA! Snap! Me too... It scares my cats.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    I work out at home...thank God. As much as I like a bit of eye candy now and then, I think it would be weird seeing a man work out in little clothing.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    I work out in shorts and a t-shirt. If I wear a tank, it is an actual tank with the wide straps.... not the strings. I hate seeing girls walking wround in skimpy outfits. I don't care how fit you are. I especially hate it when women just wear their sportsbra. I do that at home, but I use modestly while in public. Besides, they are spreding their sweat even more that way.

Guys, it doesn't matter so much. If the guy has on a t-shirt or tank I may be checking them out a little bit. :love: But only when the shirt/tank fits. I don't too much care for the guys that cut the sleeves (or the entire side) off their shirt and everytime they bend over I can see their entire chest. That goes along with the modesty thing.
  • sweats, hoodies, basketball shorts and v neck guy shirts for me...... now about other ppl being almost naked... I dont mind much as long as they dont mess with my work out hahah :)..... most the time im in my own world....... so I have no idea whats going on around me o.o...
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Question for gym goers...I'm quite modest at the gym, in fact, I almost always wear long sleeves. I like the additional heat retention, and don't really need to compare delts with the guy next to me. My question is this: How do you feel about the guys who wear almost nothing - i.e. skimpy muscle shirts? How about the women that wear the bun huggers and almost non-existent tanks? And I'm not only referring to the very fit people...it seems so many people that aren't close to in shape like to wear this stuff!!! Good with it or disgusted?

If more people looked like you and didn't wear clothes in the gym, I would definetly go more often!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    I would never force anyone to look at me without LOTS of clothing, it is just not fair to their eyes. :sad:
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member

i think you get them everywhere tbh
  • As a chunky girl I wear full length pants and tshirt for my gym uniform.

I dont get bothered by the people who are in shape and half naked. I am more bothered by the people who are falling out of their clothing. If i can find clothes that fit me why cant you?

And I ditto the cell phone comment. I reaaaaallllly dont want to hear how your pap smear went or how your grand aunt is doing. Savge that for after the gym please and thank you.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I get really sweaty. I wear just a racer back tank with built in bra and running/compression capris. I can exercise longer and harder if I'm comfortable. I'm certainly not the most attractive, but everything crucial is covered. And no one is making anyone stare....
  • I wear gym pants and a gym tank.. I dont do the short short shorts, and the belly baring shirts or just a bra just because I want to be left alone, I'm not there to get attention. If I want attention I'll take it off once I get home.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    while i believe that you should work out and be comfortable, i think my gym has people that put too much time into their outfits. matching valour sweat suits, ed hardy t-shirts, etc.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    i would work out naked if i could. and sometimes i do, in my own home.

but no, i care enough about other people that i wear loose fitting clothes to the gym. seeing too much of other people is disgusting. especially in that state.

Just made me think of that Seinfeld episode about "good naked vs. bad naked". Working out at the gym can definitely be bad (almost) naked!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    To each their own really, I'm not at the gym to check out anyone and if someone happens to catch my eye it's cause they have a handsome face. I don't even know what most of them wear, goes to show I'm not paying attention to them.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member

I would have lost it and probably embarrassed myself by laughing that should have been left to the locker room
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    I didn't really pay too much attention to others in the gym, but I actually stopped going because guys would always try to hit on me. I thought it might be what I was wearing, so I put on sweats. That didn't work. Now, I have my weights at home and my elliptical, and I can wear whatever I want or don't want.
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    depends on the exercises and whether you're inside or outside and what time of year it is.

Go look at my profile pictures. When I'm lifting/ squatting I prefer my shorty short spandex shorts. They dont move at all, which is important when i'm lifting. I'm not constantly tugging and pulling at my shorts to quit rubbing and riding up between my thighs while i'm running. Of course I only wear those during the summer.

And always a tank top. I hate doing push ups in a t shirt and any shirt thats crew neck, forget it!

If a girl is wearing barely there clothes and they're not serving a functional purpose for her at the gym, then it's for attention. But when it serves a legit purpose.. It's understandable really.
This discussion has been closed.