Good bye Ramen Noodles!

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    BAD, BAD, BAD! All carbs, no nutrition
    YES! Because carbs will kill you! :noway:

It's like anything else. Does it fit into your calorie and macro goals?

Skipping the flavor packet will help with the sodium. Plenty of options out there for spicing them up otherwise. Lots of cool recipes out there for crunchy oriental salads that use them too. Be creative! :drinker:

This. ^
    I keep a few in the house for "emergencies" lol. I skip the flavor packets and add some veggies and garlic and sometimes other stuff...DELICIOUS.

Funny side note...the day I ran my first half marathon, I went to my mom's place for lunch afterward. She made me ramen (half the packet because I needed the sodium at that point!) with chicken, carrots, and peas because I had wanted chicken soup for my recovery meal (don't ask, it just sounded good) and that's what she had in the house ;)
  • kutnEdge
    Options
    Ramen noodles are the devil, lol. However, they are a quick cheap meal. I found a semi-healthy alternative Annie Chun's Ramen House noodles. They are not fried and dont come with a salty powder. They are steamed and come with a liquid sauce. There are only 3 flavors; and, compared to regular Ramen noodles they are expensive... reg. Ramen is 5/$1 or something like tht, these are $1.99 ea. When I get the craving for Ramen noodles I have Annie Chun's; the spicy is my favorite. Calories 230 for entire package and 1.5g fat, the sodium is still high. This is an alternative to consider, hope it helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    everyone has told me they are bad and empty calories.....does anyone else eat Ramen?
    Hell yeah! With SPAM and an egg in it too!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Ramen is horrible! Have you read the nutrition label on that? the sodium alone is enough to kill you. Also you have to double the numbers for some becuase they actually list it as two servings in a package but everyone just eats one package so that isn't realistic.
    Subjective. I'm still alive and eat WAY more sodium on a daily basis then MFP requires. Asians have tons of sodium and MSG in their foods. If balanced with water and potassium, sodium isn't a problem unless you suffer from high blood pressure.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alaskacassie
    Options
    With anything, I say in moderation. Like others have said, we all have our vices. Realistically you can consume it everyday if it fits in your calorie goal range, but nutritionally your body will not have the adequate things it needs to continue your weight loss long term. Best of luck to you, I personally have a harder time giving up Cheez-Its.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    They are so bad for you, but God they're so good.

I don't eat them because they are a trigger food for me. The saltier, carbier the better. Hate all this low fat, low salt cardboard they sell now.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I love ramen noodles with some spicy sausage on it or with tuna fish.

I haven't seen the hot ones in a long time though.
  • alicia_louise29
    Options
    Oh my I wish i didnt see this post....

We have a whole box of Mi goreng noodles which are soo addictive and are so easy for those quick fixes. I even crave it sometimes and obviously I know it not that nutritional but I didn't realise they we're so bad. Oh well no way I'm throwing them or never eating them again as they are soo yummmmy! Just won't have them as much I guess!!
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them...a couple times a year won't kill you....spicy is delish and wonderful for a hangover.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love Ramen....it hasn't killed me yet...

If I have the calories, I have it. It's that simple. Would I eat it daily? Probably not but definately not worthy of cutting out of my life forever.

FOREVERRRRRRR.

FOR - EV - VERRRRR

:laugh:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    If man makes it, don't eat it.

Man also makes low fat dairy - it don't come that way from skinny cows.

haha! love it
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Guess what I'm eating now... Ramen!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    My ramen recipe. No I have not banned it. I have no sodium issues. It is the most filling 270 calories I can imagine!

1. Break dry ramen block in half (weigh it if that's your thing). Put other half away for another day.
    2. Use a bunch of water-- same amount if you were cooking the entire package.
    3. Use either half the spice pack or a boullion cube.
    4. When noodles are done, add one egg and stir minimally until done.
    5. Add a splash of soy sauce, a cut-up green onion, 1/2 cup shredded cabbage, maybe some shredded carrots.

Enjoy!

Mmmmm! I'll have to try this!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I never knew there were so many ways to eat this stuff! *lol* My father used to drain off almost all the liquid, while Hubs and I eat it with lots of liquid like soup. Now I see y'all are adding stuff to it... *lol* Ramen is my "don't want to cook or think or do anything right now but am hungry" meal. Maybe once every couple months with a gallon of water. ;)
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are deep fat fried. The oil used to cook them is what is unhealthy. It's in the label. They are unbelievable good! But they are bad for you on how they make them. It was on how it's made or something like that. I was shocked that, that's how they cook them. I didn't know they were pre-cooked before.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Try the Greenoodles instead of ramen. Less sodium and more fiber.
    http://greenoodles.com/

I found them at the Asian store. They taste a lot like ramen. And lower in fat. I like the fresh ramen too.
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    Just found this - Make your own Hand Pulled Noodles!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze2SphqrWyg&feature=player_embedded

She makes it look so easy.
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love ramen.

Good, legit ramen from a Japanese restaurant, that is...not that 25 cent, sodium infused excuse for ramen that passes in most households across America.

The good stuff has noodles, plus incredibly tender pork, seaweed, and vegetables in a fish broth (though there are many variations). Everyone should try it.

Hell yeah. I still enjoy Shin Ramen on occasion (so spicy!), but fresh ramen is where it's AT. I especially love tonkotsu ramen - the broth, made from stewing pork bones for up to 60 hrs and it's the most delicious, milky soup ever - YUM YUM YUM :drinker: And nothing beats freshly made, al dente noodles.

I would NEVER waste calories on a crappy packet of 25 cent ramen when I could be saving myself for the good stuff!
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love Ramen! I can't even say why I love it so much. The only problem is that it is a migraine trigger for me, due to the MSG. So, no salty noodles of joy for me.
  • cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them all the time until I got onto this site. SOOOO bad for you!!