What's a good salad dressing with low calorie?

Options
Hi guys, okay i suck at salad dressing, and the only one i end up always buying is Italian dressing which i don't really like now, and want to try something new with my salad but to scared to go buy it and then not end up liking it.

I also heard low calorie sweetener (sugar) are more fattening than actual sugar?

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I like to stick to the basics, a little evoo, some balsamic vinegar, and whatever spices/seasonings I'm feeling at the moment. That way I know EXACTLY what I'm getting.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    olive oil and balsamic is the easiest standard. Add some herbs, spices, garlic, if you fancy.

It's also really easy to make a balsamic / honey / wholegrain mustard dressing that's lovely.

Or try steeping raspberrys in either balsamic or red wine vinegar overnight. They dissolve (ish) into the vinegar making a lovely raspberry dressing.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I like to stick to the basics, a little evoo, some balsamic vinegar, and whatever spices/seasonings I'm feeling at the moment. That way I know EXACTLY what I'm getting.
    Agree completely. My favorite is EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar. To change things up we also have a bottle of Balsamic Reduction (think thicker and sweeter). EVOO and Rice Wine vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon juice is also really good.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Salsa is awesome!! you can have like a 1/4 cup for only 15-20 calories
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I hate balsamic vinegar so I use EVOO, lemon juice, salt/pepper, and herbs instead. It's definitely got a zing to it, but it's super easy and I personally prefer it to heavier dressings.
  • Hoaimy
    Hoaimy Posts: 16
    Options
    Try this-I swear it's good-chopped cilantro, lime juice, a little salt...as a salad dressing..
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Salsa is awesome!! you can have like a 1/4 cup for only 15-20 calories

I agree! Salsa adds great flavor to almost anything! I also like spicy or honey mustard and fresh avocado slices. mmmmmm :-)
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    I like Ken's Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette. That's all I use now.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I like Bolthouse Farms Extra Virgin Olive Oil Vinaigrette. 30 calories, 40mg ALA Omega 3 (per 2 Tbsp serving).
  • music1ady
    music1ady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse farms has many flavors like ranch, bleu cheese, caesar, raspberry merlot, mango etc. and start at 20 cals per Tbls. They are kind of expensive but have no sugar and have natural ingredients. It's nice for a change of pace. You can find them at Albertson's and Winco. Also there's a chipotle ranch in the refrigerated section at Fresh and Easy that is 30 cals per Tbls. Very delicious and has a kick to it. It's only $2.49.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    do a search for champagne vinaigrette. Basically champagne vineagar, mustard, honey, salt, pepper, olive oil. Can't beat it. Then you can switch it around.

The mustard and/or honey emulsifies it mostly, so it doesn't separate. If you don't like vinegar, then use a citrus juice.

The vegan cookbook "Appetite for Reduction" has some kick butt versions of opaque creamy dressings. You must not be tofu- or nut- phobic. Their ranch dressing "Sanctuary Dressing" (cute, huh?) is awesome. The Green Goddess is potent.

I haven't bought a low-cal dressing at the store in about 900 years. They're all ich-blech, as I remember it. Salsa's ok.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    half cup of hidden valley ranch...YUM!

j/k :)
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    We always had a bottle of red wine and vinegar dressing when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure that's lo cal.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I like the Kraft Extra Virgin Olive oil range - they have differnt flavours most of which are half the calories of other brands!
  • filmfanatic29
    Options
    I LOVE Kraft's Fat Free Catalina dressing. It's tangy and really tasty; it's only 50 calories per serving (it is a little high on sodium though)
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Newman's own Sesame and Ginger light salad dressing. it tastes like Chinese food but it's salad. I'm pretty sure it descended from heaven on the backs of angels. Just a theory, though
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse farms has many flavors like ranch, bleu cheese, caesar, raspberry merlot, mango etc. and start at 20 cals per Tbls. They are kind of expensive but have no sugar and have natural ingredients. It's nice for a change of pace.

I have become addicted to their new yogurt based dressings!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    GARLIC EXPRESSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's amazeballs and only 55 calories per tablespoon.
    Sold at Whole Foods and Central Market.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I know Im gonna get it, but I use Waldon Farms...I hate wasting calories on dressing! Its got nothing but sodium...no calories..gluten...sugar...fat...carbs...they have lots of flavors...i like honey mustard and raspberry..ranch is good for dipping veggies...the taste is ok to start with..but I got used to it.:ohwell: