Not feeling supported at all.

Options

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    FearAnLoathin wrote:
    im 5'6 172 to 175 and perfectly happy with my weight where it is
    I view success by the second half of the above sentence. The first part is immaterial.

bcattoes wrote:
    And that's all fine, to each his own. Just try to ignore those that are cocky and arrogant, and focus on your goals.

It is a little annoying though when some post bodybuilding nonsense to those struggling just to get to a healthy weight, as if they honestly can't believe any has a goal different than theirs.
    Your post is contradictory. You are saying "to each his own" but expressing annoyance at others doing their own eaching.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    FearAnLoathin wrote:
    im 5'6 172 to 175 and perfectly happy with my weight where it is
    I view success by the second half of the above sentence. The first part is immaterial.

bcattoes wrote:
    And that's all fine, to each his own. Just try to ignore those that are cocky and arrogant, and focus on your goals.

It is a little annoying though when some post bodybuilding nonsense to those struggling just to get to a healthy weight, as if they honestly can't believe any has a goal different than theirs.
    Your post is contradictory. You are saying "to each his own" but expressing annoyance at others doing their own eaching.

No, not at all. If the posts are informative then I have no problem with them. But posting nutrition information meant for bodybuilding without mentioning that you are a lifter trying to build muscle is misinformation and confusing to those just learning how to eat right. And I find that annoying, because it is not teaching
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    bcattoes wrote:

No, not at all. If the posts are informative then I have no problem with them. But posting nutrition information meant for bodybuilding without mentioning that you are a lifter trying to build muscle is misinformation and confusing to those just learning how to eat right. And I find that annoying, because it is not teaching
    By your logic, should posters include in their posts about nutrition that they are not lifting? What about whether they are vegan? Or really tall?

ETA: I've seen your posts and know you are intelligent. Surely you can see the discrepancy between touting "to each his own" and then criticizing others for not following some set of rules that are useful for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    bcattoes wrote:

By your logic, should posters include in their posts about nutrition that they are not lifting? What about whether they are vegan? Or really tall?

ETA: I've seen your posts and know you are intelligent. Surely you can see the discrepancy between touting "to each his own" and then criticizing others for not following some set of rules that are useful for you.

I don't have a set of rules. I just don't like misinformation or half-information, which would be any information that is specific to a certain group or lifestyle but is presented as good for the general public.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    I don't have a set of rules. I just don't like misinformation or half-information, which would be any information that is specific to a certain group or lifestyle but is presented as good for the general public.
    OK, we disagree. Maybe it's semantics. I'd argue that even in your post here where you claim not to have a set of rules, you express a set of rules. What is misinformation to you, or what is useful to you, or what is good for the general public - all require a "set of rules" of some sort to make those judgments. That's fine if we disagree. I'm not trying to win you over. In fact, I'm simply grateful you prompted me to use the phrase "others doing their own eaching." It made my day to type that.
  • uberlaut
    Options
    " It's extremely hard to build muscle and can take many months for a man to build 20# of new muscle mass. A woman with lower testosterone levels would take even longer and needs more intense workouts lifting quite heavy than a man needs to achieve this. Frankly, I'm not sure I believe you because you are extrapolating expected body fat percentages at lower body weights that are quite inaccurate and show a misunderstanding of how our bodies work."

OK, thanks for being so extremely rude. You don't know how I test my bodyfat, or the timeframe I'm talking about, or my metabolism, or my workout regime.

I lost those 80lbs (and gained 20lbs of muscle mass) in over a year. Heavy lifting twice or three times a week. But I don't have to prove anything to you.
  • betterin2012
    Options
    Why do other peoples' goals bother you? Live and let live. I was 5'9" and 162 and I did not look or feel my best. If you're happy with yourself, that's all that matters, don't worry about others. :)
  • uberlaut
    Options
    “I want to wear a smaller pant.” does not equal “I want to lose weight.”

"I want to be healthier." does not always equal "I want to lose weight."

I worry about people who are so focused on the scale, because I wonder how many of them are fighting against their own body/health in striving for an unrealistic number on the scale.
  • betterin2012
    Options
    I agree, if you are happy with your weight don't let others views concern you. i picked a number, because i knew i weighed that when i fit in these clothes. If I can loose the inches and weigh the same as i do today and fit in my clothes, that's good too!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    funny how people are quick to discredit the bmi system for people who want to prove it wrong for being bigger and healthier but this never gets support when its the opposite i.e. people who are under the bmi and yet healthy, fit and strong.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you there! My weightloss goal is a bit arbitrary! My main goal is size, BF% and fitness. You are obviously built differently to these other people with different goals. Stop judging yourself by them and do what you know is right! I think you sound like you have the right plan and your head on straight! I hate the BMI measurement and everyone uses it! It's rubbish! I read somehwere once that Brad Pit had a BMI of 30something! He is so skinny but really musclular! That explains that one dosent it!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    " It's extremely hard to build muscle and can take many months for a man to build 20# of new muscle mass. A woman with lower testosterone levels would take even longer and needs more intense workouts lifting quite heavy than a man needs to achieve this. Frankly, I'm not sure I believe you because you are extrapolating expected body fat percentages at lower body weights that are quite inaccurate and show a misunderstanding of how our bodies work."

OK, thanks for being so extremely rude. You don't know how I test my bodyfat, or the timeframe I'm talking about, or my metabolism, or my workout regime.

I lost those 80lbs (and gained 20lbs of muscle mass) in over a year. Heavy lifting twice or three times a week. But I don't have to prove anything to you.

That was rude? Really? Something else we disagree on, I guess.

It is extremely difficult for a man who is lifting heavy to gain 20# of muscle in a year. Even more so for a woman with lower levels of testosterone. And the only true way to measure body fat is via autopsy which I'm sure you have not done. The varying methods done on living persons all have some degree of inaccuracy. What type of measurement technique are you using?

It's great that you're heavy lifting. I have recently become converted to making that type of workout the mainstay of my plan and am starting the work to get to the point where I can lift heavy. While I have been doing weights all along, it has been on machines so I'm switching to free weights to get my whole body into play instead of isolating the muscles being worked. It's a great program and I'm sure you've done well on it.
  • uberlaut
    Options
    That is totally possible as well. I have had more than one friend who can't gain an ounce, no matter what they do.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I read somehwere once that Brad Pit had a BMI of 30something! He is so skinny but really musclular! That explains that one dosent it!
    Well yes, but that's hardly news, and it's hardly relevant.

BMI has always been acknowledged as not being appropriate for use with those people who have a high muscle mass.

Frankly, having a high muscle mass is not the reason that the majority of members use this site.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    “I want to wear a smaller pant.” does not equal “I want to lose weight.”

"I want to be healthier." does not always equal "I want to lose weight."

I worry about people who are so focused on the scale, because I wonder how many of them are fighting against their own body/health in striving for an unrealistic number on the scale.

My goal weight/size is much closer to yours than to people shooting for numbers in the 130s/120s/110s, but this sounds like evidence that you are not supportive of their goals rather than vice versa.

I'm not saying that I don't sometimes think that someone shooting for a weight at the very low end of their bmi range may not discover that they are unable to sustain it, or that it doesn't look like they pictured. Genetics being what they are and magazine models and movie stars looking like they do it is, sadly, inevitable that on a site dedicated to fitness, some people are going to have unrealistic expectations of how they can make their bodies look, or the weight they can maintain without sacrificing too much quality of life. But I'm not walking in their shoes. Unless they seem to be developing an eating disorder or beating themselves up to the point of self-hatred, I am going to root for their success just like I hope they will root for mine.

An incredibly beautiful, nice, and brainy friend of mine married a guy that is, imo nowhere near good enough for her. When theywere dating I kept thinking, what is she doing with this guy? (It was not appearance-related, he is very handsome.) But I supported her because he was what she wanted, whether I understood it or not. Unless someone I care about is making choices that endanger them, my role as a friend is to want them to achieve their dreams, whether or not they coincide with mine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I read somehwere once that Brad Pit had a BMI of 30something! He is so skinny but really musclular! That explains that one dosent it!

BMI has always been acknowledged as not being appropriate for use with those people who have a high muscle mass.

Frankly, having a high muscle mass is not the reason that the majority of members use this site.

I had to google this. I don't know where I would find a VERY reliable site for this info, but several report Brad Pitt as 5'11" and 160 pounds. That is a BMI of 22.3.

I think a lot of people have very unrealistic ideas about what they look like at a healthy BMI. Most of the people I see who say they're "too skinny" at the high end or who talk about it not taking body frame into account are people who have never actually been that thin.

To be in a healthy BMI, I can weigh anywhere from 103 to 141 pounds. I'd say that takes frame and muscle mass into account.

Perhaps pro athletes who do nothing but build muscle fall into the category of being an unhealthy BMI with low body fat, but most everyday, average people do not.

All that said, it's your body and your choice and if you're happy as you are, then that's wonderful and I support you.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I had to google this. I don't know where I would find a VERY reliable site for this info, but several report Brad Pitt as 5'11" and 160 pounds. That is a BMI of 22.3.

I think a lot of people have very unrealistic ideas about what they look like at a healthy BMI. Most of the people I see who say they're "too skinny" at the high end or who talk about it not taking body frame into account are people who have never actually been that thin.

To be in a healthy BMI, I can weigh anywhere from 103 to 141 pounds. I'd say that takes frame and muscle mass into account.

Perhaps pro athletes who do nothing but build muscle fall into the category of being an unhealthy BMI with low body fat, but most everyday, average people do not.

All that said, it's your body and your choice and if you're happy as you are, then that's wonderful and I support you.

I disagree. I am 5'11 & 3/4" and a female. Also, my bone structure is slightly higher than average which makes me somewhat 'big-boned'. My healthy weight according to a healthy BMI is between 135 and 179.5 lbs. I have weighed 176 lbs and was told that I was too thin. Of course, my current goal weight is 170 lbs, but only because I know that I will gain a little back when I finally go to maintenance calories. I honestly think my body is going to fall somewhere around 180 lbs which would technically make me overweight, but I guarantee, no one will think that I am overweight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I disagree. I am 5'11 & 3/4" and a female. Also, my bone structure is slightly higher than average which makes me somewhat 'big-boned'. My healthy weight according to a healthy BMI is between 135 and 179.5 lbs. I have weighed 176 lbs and was told that I was too thin. Of course, my current goal weight is 170 lbs, but only because I know that I will gain a little back when I finally go to maintenance calories. I honestly think my body is going to fall somewhere around 180 lbs which would technically make me overweight, but I guarantee, no one will think that I am overweight.

You're talking about half a pound.

And people tell you you're "too thin" when you lose weight. All the time. My mother accused me of being anorexic at 132 pounds (I'm 5'3") because I'd been heavy for a couple years and she wasn't used to it. When I weighed 102, she didn't think I looked anorexic because at that time in my life I'd always been thin.

I don't LOOK overweight at 141 pounds. I don't LOOK overweight at 150 (what I am now) because clothing covers a lot. But there's definitely room to lose.

Did YOU think you looked too thin at 176?

My boss is 5'10". She was 180 at her highest weight and she looked great. She's since lost 40 pounds and looks fantastic. People in her family keep telling her she's too thin and accusing her of starving herself. She is not too thin. She looks and feels healthy. Still, people tell her she's too thin.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    As a general point, in a society where the norm is to be overweight, I think people forget what "healthy" looks like.

Remember BMI isn't about whether you look fat or slim or attractive, it is about the ranges (for normal people not body builders) which have been proved again and again, by study after study, to be optimal for health. For a lot of people, that is far less body fat than they consider to be normal, or that they consider to look good.

Personally, I feel that I look at my best when I'm towards the upper range of my recommended BMI, but I'm not deluding myself that at that point I'm at the healthiest point I could be.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You're talking about half a pound.

And people tell you you're "too thin" when you lose weight. All the time. My mother accused me of being anorexic at 132 pounds (I'm 5'3") because I'd been heavy for a couple years and she wasn't used to it. When I weighed 102, she didn't think I looked anorexic because at that time in my life I'd always been thin.

I don't LOOK overweight at 141 pounds. I don't LOOK overweight at 150 (what I am now) because clothing covers a lot. But there's definitely room to lose.

Did YOU think you looked too thin at 176?

My boss is 5'10". She was 180 at her highest weight and she looked great. She's since lost 40 pounds and looks fantastic. People in her family keep telling her she's too thin and accusing her of starving herself. She is not too thin. She looks and feels healthy. Still, people tell her she's too thin.

I can see your point about how people really don't know what is best for us based on looks, but at the same time, if I were to stop around 140 lbs, people would generally think I am sick, though I would be at a "healthy" weight. There is variations that the typical BMI scale does not take into consideration. Because I am slightly bigger boned, my bones themselves will actually weigh more than an average person's. This is not something that is factored into BMI. Remember that BMI only calculates the whole of one's body and not the weight of its varying composition. Body variation must be taken into consideration.