So why are you fat??

Options
tdaddybarlow
tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
I was just curious about the different reasons some of us are fat...ahem...excuse me...I mean overweight or in my case OBESE (according to BMI).
My reasons are as follow: Over the last 4 years I started a relationship, quit smoking (HOORAY FOR ME but here comes the fat), planned a wedding, went on a honeymoon cruise (they feed you SOOO much), got married, then pregnant (actually the pregnancy came just before the wedding, but who's counting), finished everything my pregnant wife couldn't eat (morning sickness), stop working out altogether (but continued to pay them :huh: ), finished everything my toddler wouldn't eat, and bing eating. WOW!!! So that's why I'm fat. What's your deal???

Replies

• snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My ex fiance always fed me BK or McD's knowing I hated eating them, and I worked at a desk job with little time to exercise
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bad eating habits learned from being raised by an overly stressed single mom in the 80's and 90's, being lazy. Not learning how to prepare healthy meals, then getting pregnant. Then getting pregnant again. Then losing 40 lbs, thinking my destination was reached, and going back to unhealthy habits and gaining back 65.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    greed pure & simple, then as a result type 2 diabetes making weight loss even harder.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Growing up we weren't taught to eat properly,as my mother wasn't either growing up and is morbidly obese.Both my sisters ended up overweight in their teens ,but I suffered with ednos in my preteens instead. The weight caught up eventually though. When I was 1 lb a way from actually being "overweight" I joined mfp.
    I got to my goal weight in June,yet here I am again.
    It seems old habits die hard and I am still an emotional eater. Stress and depression make it very easy to pack the pounds back on,
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    because. I WAS LAZY.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    I was in college in my last year and my dad became sick with cancer then passed away (within 4.3 years, which made me even more depressed), i worked one part-time job and one full-time job, i had a lot of debt from college and medical bills (they are all paid off now, yay!!), i have a desk job that requires me to mostly be seated (if i walk out, i'm being monitored- well, almost), break ups with girlfriends (who were no good for me anyway, you know who your real true friends are when you are extremely depressed and have a lot of stress in your life), and boyfriends (jerks). :noway:
  • 0namission
    Options
    Because food is good? loll i gots nuthing other than that...My favorite thing to do is Reading a Book...with a heaping pile of food in front of me while laying down and the tv is on......WAS...was my favorite thing to do.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love eating and drinking hence my weight gain. I have now fallen back in love with exercise and discovered MFP so i can now i have the best of both worlds. I wish i'd done this earlier i've wasted so many years.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This is an easy one for me to answer. It is because I just like to eat. I love food so much. I eat constantly - social gatherings, for nourishment, while watching tv, while bored, and while upset or depressed. All my life I have used food as my clutch and my safety net. Not to mention over the years I got lazy and didn't want to do much anymore. But that was because I gained weight. I gained weight because I used food to comfort me in various situations. The more I ate the more I gained, the more I gained the less I wanted to do, the less I wanted to do the more I ate for comfort. You get the vicious cycle?

Since finding MFP I have managed to deal with my food related "issues". MFP has helped me regain control of my life and helped me not to rely on food as much as I used to.

Thanks MFP and to all of my friends on here who provide me with so much support and love. I appreciate each and every one of you! :smooched:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Graduated High School where the only exercise I got was work or the random PE class I was able to take in college. When I wasn't in school, I laid on my bed doing my homework. Laid on my bed watching movies or tv, laid on my bed playing video games, wait... I did stuff outside too! Actually the worst part is although I did get exercise, I was a strict powerlifter and didn't have the self control to ensure I ate fewer calories. I made world records! But, the more I ate, the more protein I got so weight didn't matter to me. Then, I got prego... but lost the baby and didn't know it (early on) but my hormones were still reacting so I gained a big ol baby belly full of... nothing. After the ultrasound it went away... when I saw the baby was gone. From that, I reached double chin status and around the same time I found MFP. Life changing :D Now, all the times where I thought I had to go without any thing good to lose weight were over.
  • jbudzins1
    Options
    Gain 1-3lbs/year... 30 years later and it adds up.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Big eater here!

Most of us never knew how much we should eat until recently. Now it's about relearning how to eat and dealing with the damage the overeating has done to our physiology.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I was put on a low-hormone birth control to regulate my periods, it ended up making me gain 30 pounds :( I was always at the consistent weight of 127 before that no matter how much I ate

Then I had my wisdom teeth taken out around the same time so what I could eat was limited and I ended up eating unhealthy and soft foods which made me gain even more weight and the medicine made me not want to do anything, so I stopped being active.

I also used to eat a lot of junk food late at night or not eat meals, which is obviously not good.

I hope to lose all the weight all of that stuff made me gain!
  • Jen_Ohara
    Options
    When I was in kindergarden my teacher told my mom I had an active imagination and she wanted me on meds so I was put on ritalin and after being put on that I started to close up and gain weight. When I was in the 4th grade I was 135 and it kept on going as I got older. And when I hit middle school I was take off the meds but I was still the same for a year and half until the drugs were out of my system. But people have affected me of making fun of me and treating me bad I would hear teachers say that I wouldn't amount to anything but I have and I am doing good in my life I just need to change my weight.
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant and used it as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted whenever i wanted, then after the baby came I have been struggling to let the over eating bad habit die and now I am just addidcted to food haha
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think I'm this way because I wasn't taught how to eat properly when I was a kid. I remember times when I was about 8 years old and I would make my self an entire box of macaroni and cheese for dinner. My mom worked and my dad watched the kids. Don't get me wrong, they're the best parents in the world! But I think they could have done a bit better teaching us the value of nutrition.
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    Options
    didn't learn how to eat healthy, also I binge when in stress. so guess i live a stressful life lol. and the more you gain the more lazy you get to exercise. depression also gets me eating. and the worst is i'm addicted to milk. whole milk and I use to drink one gallon a day of milk. instead of drinking water i would drink milk all day.

13651868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I stopped caring about myself, plain and simple - There were no health scares, no rude comment, no certain picture. I just looked in the mirror one day and realized I had no respect for my body and everything that it does for me.

I didn't want to deal with emotions so I shoved them down with food thinking the food would make me feel better and it did for a moment until I started beating myself up - it was a terrible cycle. I got the courage to look deep and figure out why I turned to food for comfort and a light bulb went off and the lifestyle change began and each day it gets a little easier.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm not.
  • jessdeweerdt
    Options
    Was heavy as a teen.. lost a ton of weight (started waitressing, stopped eating) gained the freshman 15, then went on a medication and gain 30 more.. went off the medication, lost 5, and struggled with starvation mode ever since.