So why are you fat??

Options

Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    How I got heavy
    It started when i was 11-12 yrs old i started realizing i was gay and I didn't know what it meant. I just knew i was different and people weren't so tolerant and i got depressed and that led me to be in bed all day long just eating and watching tv and i gained alot of weight.

Now I'm not heavy anymore.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Um.... because I like food!!! :noway:

as I got older and less active... it became an issue :sad: But, totally dealing with that now :bigsmile:
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I stuffed my feelings and hated myself. I used to love carbs, preferably fried carbs with a nice sugar chaser... followed by a nice dose of alcohol to further stuff my feelings, and then maybe some pizza to soak the booze up. Repeat several times a week with no exercise.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    while growing up, we NEVER had food in the house. When I started working, I would eat out at the Chinese buffet. I felt I was getting my money's worth. Unfortunately, the Chinese buffets are highly addicting. Regular food buffets... could care less about. Eventually, they made me fat and sick and I HAD to stop going. The few times a year that I do slip up, it makes me sweat and belch all day, and wreaks havoc on my digestive system. Not worth it.

I still have problems with eating "regular foods" just by eating too much... I am a work in progress and 90% of my problem is I don't drink enough water.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    laziness, binge eating, too much fast food, greed, lack of exercise. :(

Ditto!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I got fat because apparently as you get older you can't eat the same way you did when you were younger! Pfft... who knew!? :noway:

But yea, I'm on the right track now so yaay me!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    1. happy relationship. I no longer feel/felt the need to look great and impress. I am comfortable.
    2. sedentary lifetsyle, desk job
    3. toddler. (I got married in 2008, pregnant a month later, and now a 2 and a half year old.
    4. once work is done and the little one is in bed-more sitting. and snacking. I DESERVE it, it is my only "me time" (this WAS my thinking!)
    5. lazy
    6. husband with the metabolism of a 13 year old boy. He is 6'4" and weighs about 165-170lbs. he eats, all day long. he eats junk. he prefers a wife who will eat maccaroni and cheese with him at midnight than a stick think lady who eats like a bird. Hey, works for me, i love food! I have now realized that doesnt work for me and there needs to be a happy medium though!

I guess thats a good enough list for me:) I think #5 is the true root of it all, but the other pieces are factors too.

^^^ love number 6. It WILL catch up with him at 40, I swear!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Went from a high stress, always on my feet running around job in retail to a desk job. I was stuffing junk food and eating like crap when I had the time to, but was losing weight while eating said crap because 1) couldn't eat as often due to work, 2) was burning calories like crazy being on my feet 9-10 hours a day running around, plus the occosional lifting of heavy boxes.

I quit and got a desk job at a call center and you could tell how many years the other people had been there by how big they had gotten. There was always cake, or chili dog or taco parties! That on top of the stress of taking calls for people on medicaid made it so easy for people to gain weight.

Then I got a low stress receptionist job and have a lot more time & energy on my hands. What did I do? Certainly didn't start working out! Started cooking!!! Good delicious cooking, but not very low-fat. Honey-Dijon Almond Chicken, Parmesan Herb Crusted Tilipia, Ribeye marinated in Rum or Scotch.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Food is delicious and exercise is hard work. Gluttony and sloth, two of my favorite sins.

Oh who am I kidding. "I'm a fan of all seven."
  • JoseMedina21
    JoseMedina21 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    well, just in case the Mayans were right, i wanted to be prepared and have storage in my body :)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am a classic emotional overeater and have a condition of night binging while asleep or in a semi-conscious state. The night binge stuff is kind of like a sleep disorder that is closely tied to my depression. Boy howdy can I eat though!!! When I first started here, I calculated a typical day of eating from my past... not even like a big celebration day or something and my calories were about 9,000 just for one day. That's why I'm fat. I pick foods that taste good as far as fatty, fried, salted things go.... foods that have low nutritional value so i wouldnt want to get up and do anything... and i never got up and did anything. it would be a chore some days to get up and walk to the restroom because i was so heavy that i would get winded making it downstairs at work. i wanted to eat and feel good and then eat to celebrate feeling good or eat when i felt bad then feel guilty i ate and eat some more to 'fix' it.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bad eating habits; instant noodles and bubble teas are my weakness. I used to eat a lot of fried chicken. And I used to hate exercising. And I was lazy... still am but.. not THAT lazy. :P
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

It was the complete opposite for me, i lost weight while my husband was deployed. As soon as he came home i gained about 7lbs. I seem to eat better and workout more while he is underway with his ship.
    [/quote]

Thats good! I lost alot of weight when he first left, my meds changed and I gained weight and kinda let it go from there... Now he's about to come home and we're about to move again so hopefully I can get it all back on track.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My weight came on gradually over about a ten year period. When I graduated from high school I weighed about 160 and was 5'10, probably a size 10 or 12. I went from being active (basketball, track, band practice) to nothing. I gained 25 lbs over a few years. Then I got married, worked a desk job after college full time, and had a kid a few years later. I didn't gain pregnancy weight, but when I stopped breastfeeding I put on 25 lbs between Kid #1 and Kid #2. Then I did the same between Kid #2 and Kid #3......I was at 235 lbs for awhile then somehow sneaked all the way up to 262. That was my highest weight. My body stabilized at about 240 lbs - seemed to like that weight. And I just didn't do anything about it until I decided to join karate and got frustrated with not being able to do what everyone else could do. My husband was fit and healthy and a black belt and I was a lump of lard, and I was mad and felt like I just wasn't living to my full potential. I don't know why it took my fifteen years to do something about it. My biggest regret is living that way for so long.
  • erika010
    erika010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Laziness!
  • momofacacia
    Options
    I suffered 5 miscarriages, became extremely depressed. Began eating to make me happy and gained 60 pounds. When I finally got to a point in my life where I was ok and became happy, I continued to eat, just because it had become my way of life. This is why I am fat.
    P.S. I dont like to exercise, so that doesn't help either!
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like food too much and exercise too little. I can think of 100 excuses as to why I'm overweight or I can look at it honestly and do something about it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Food is delicious and exercise is hard work. Gluttony and sloth, two of my favorite sins.

Wait? Is that the van from LOST on your weight loss ticker???
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Laziness on my part. I was raised knowing all about healthy eating and exercise. I have no excuses.

Food just tastes so damn good and exercise sucks.

I am not afraid of being honest.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

^^^^ Could have written this myself^^^^