People who are cooking New Year's Eve's dinner at home - Wha

Options
cramernh
cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
Thought it would be great to see, share and possibly inspire others who are choosing to stay home and prepare a nice dinner at home as opposed to going out.

So - to those who are staying home to make dinner - what are you making?

Replies

• cramernh
    Options
    Im planning on fresh made chimichurri sauce to go on our well-seasoned skirt steak....

Fresh colorful bell pepper strips, onions, mushrooms will be sauteed with gahhhhhlic, kosher salt and pepper.

Hubby gets his oven baked potato wedges with an herbed-dill butter - he loves that....

Ill be doing up some faux-noodles with zucchini and summer squash for myself with that same herbed-dill butter.

Planning on doing a low-carb wildberry cheesecake with an almond crust for dessert. My husband had this dessert at Christmas and at half the damn pie! LOL!!!!

We will toast the new year with a shot of Patron XO Cafe and St Brendan's Irish Creme!~
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Generally when we stay home I make finger foods and we graze through the night.....devilled eggs, sliced mozzarella w/ tomatos and roaster red peppers....still haven't decided what to do this evening.
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to get some new food ideas!!
  • h0m36r0wn
    Options
    I've had a few pounds of chicken thighs sitting in my rub (below) with some soy and a touch of molasses for a few days now... running to the market now to see what kinds of veggies to make. Plan to start the grill mid afternoon so I'm not out there in the dark with the black bears! :)
    And despite the calories, I'm washing it all down with some Samuel Adams New World golden ale.

Rub recipe (i scale up big time and make about a gallon jug's worth once or twice a year... then switch up the liquid i use with it to vary flavor)
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    • 1 tablespoon granulated onion (i dehydrate my own onions and powderize in a coffee bean grinder - tastes much better than store bought)
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
    • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (i substitute with my homegrown pepper blend 1/3 red habanero, 1/3 Thai chili, 1/3 cayenne)
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon white pepper (sometimes i leave this out...)
  • cramernh
    Options
    My homemade chimichurri sauce

2 C Cilantro (all of it)
    1 C parsley (leaves only)
    4 cloves garlic
    1/3 C white onion
    1/2 C olive oil
    1/2 C champagne vinegar
    zest and juice of one lime
    kosher salt and black pepper to taste
    pinch of red pepper flakes

In a blender, add your oil, vinegar, garlic, onion and seasonings. Puree into a smooth sauce.

To the same blender, add your parsley - puree
    To the same blender, add 1 C of your cilantro (leaves and stems) - puree until velvety smooth

Take remainder of the cilantro (leaves only) and finely chop.

Mix well into your puree....

Chill for four hours or overnight for optimal flavor
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Nice post! I'm using a recipe from the cookbook "Food from Plenty" called Gurnard on Crushed Potatoes...had to sub in local wild striped bass, but it's basically seared fish fillets on smashed red potatoes with lemon, parsley, chopped kalamata olives, and watercress. Probably also going to make some Meyer Lemon Bars, following this wonderful recipe http://treats-sf.blogspot.com/2011/02/meyer-lemon-bars_13.html as a New Years Eve treat...and some champagne, of course!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    just a baked pork tenderloin with steamed broccoli and carrots - we are pretty boring around here.
  • kayemac
    kayemac Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We had our celebration dinner Thursday evening, since my teens won't be home tonight. We did cheese fondue and dark chocolate fondue. It was great and a lot of fun.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Our house will be full of tacos tonight. *lol* (It was my 9-year old's turn to pick.)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Pizza night!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Simple dinner tonight ;) Grilled swordfish steaks, steamed broccoli, spagetti squash topped with shredded parm cheese, glass wine. Kids get pizza lol

Tomorrow will be traditional family dinner, pinto beans and ham, fried cabbage, coleslaw and cornbread *rubs belly* MM MMM!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I'm making homemade lobster ravioli served with a sauce make from the shells and other auromatic veg, herbs and some spices along with a country pate, raw oysters and a few raw cheeses.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    We are having center loin pork chops topped with onions and mushrooms, roasted asparagus, angel hair pasta with veggies. Oh, and pink bubbly moscato!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I think we're probably just going to have a normal dinner. No fancy plans tonight :) Except for maybe a bottle of Korbel to toast at midnight!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thinking steak and baked potato and grilled asparagus.
  • cramernh
    Options
    just a baked pork tenderloin with steamed broccoli and carrots - we are pretty boring around here.

There is nothing boring about making a home-cooked meal for you and your family..... its almost a lost art today... but obviously not with this thread! 8-)
  • cramernh
    Options
    I think we're probably just going to have a normal dinner. No fancy plans tonight :) Except for maybe a bottle of Korbel to toast at midnight!

Everything Ive seen so far on the thread is normal, to me.... what is abnormal is the feeling of my mother-in-law coming over... I really am looking forward to a quiet night at home where my husband isnt feeling very well.... pajamas are calling us with a big stack of movies and PS3 games for us to cuddle up together with tonight! LOL!
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Salmon with brussel sprouts
  • wannagetfit02
    wannagetfit02 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We are having BBQ chicken, black eyed peas, and baked potato. I can't wait.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yup im staying home and I am eating pizza and chicken wings. I cant wait as I am all motivated for this to happen. HAPPY NEW YEARS!!