People who are cooking New Year's Eve's dinner at home - Wha

Options

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    We are having chicken braised in red wine with tomatoes and olives:

http://www.joanneweir.com/recipes/mains/red-wine-braised-chicken-tomatoes-olives.html

I made it a couple of weeks ago for my dad. DBF came home later, devoured the leftovers, and requested I cook it for him sometime.

Sides will be a simple polenta cooked in chicken broth and a fresh green salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

We're going to have a Burn Notice marathon on Netflix until the ball drops, and sip on hot chocolate made with Splenda and creme de menthe for a dessert treat in honor of the holiday.
  • axman19
    axman19 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BACON wrapped fillet mignons, crown cokes, and hopefully some lipstick at midnight!!!!<---btw, the lipstick part is a joke!! Happy newyears everyone!
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hubby is making homemade baccalao (a tomato and olive and onion and cod fish stew) with a little pasta and a spinach salad and pink champagne.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Griiled ribeyes and shrimp, roasted butternut squash and brussel sprouts.

7063065.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mcfish618
    mcfish618 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We are having blackened salmon with asparagus and sweet potatoes tonight for me and my hubby and I bought some skinny Girl Sangria, never had that but thought it would be worth a try.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I was planning on making slamon with alfredo, fresh steamed green beans :)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Appetizers!

bbq meatballs
    taco dip
    turkey wrapped around cheese topped with an olive
    bacon wrapped smokies
    Hawaiian bread with spinach dip (not homemade)

I have chicken wings I might bake, but I haven't decided yet.

My BsIL and FIL are here to celebrate with us. :smile:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Appetizers!

bbq meatballs
    taco dip
    turkey wrapped around cheese topped with an olive
    bacon wrapped smokies
    Hawaiian bread with spinach dip (not homemade)

I have chicken wings I might bake, but I haven't decided yet.

My BsIL and FIL are here to celebrate with us. :smile:

Amy - I just sent a reply to your message! 8-)
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    thanks for the rub recipe
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    NY Strip and Lobster
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Making a turkey for dinner tomorrow (New Years Day). Just finished preparing the brine. Om nom nom, can't wait!
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    I had a great plan to make finger foods: shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers and the like, but then my freezer/fridge died right after we got home from Christmas :(

So, we only have a small mini-fridge and we lost almost all our freezer food...
    therefore, left over (homemade) chicken pot pie for dinner tonight (one of the few frozen items we were able to save) and red wine!
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sea bass with ginger and garlic, stir fry veg, pak choi and egg noodles
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Having friends over, will be having a cheese tray. Roasted chicken and potatoes and salad. And of course, lot's of wine!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I made a mezze - houmous, cucumber and yoghurt dip, home made pitta bread, home made halloumi and sesame bread, pomegranate seeds and salad.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Pizza night!

Same here!
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sorry double post... bad computer!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Delmonico steak and lobster tail - kind of our tradition. Rice pilaf on the side - good thing I got my workout in! Champagne @ midnight :drinker:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [isn't chicken, or poultry, 'bad' for the new year? I mean,, things that feed by scratching backwards??? Pig however, is good since pigs root forward looking for food....]

I've had a few pounds of chicken thighs sitting in my rub (below) with some soy and a touch of molasses for a few days now... running to the market now to see what kinds of veggies to make. Plan to start the grill mid afternoon so I'm not out there in the dark with the black bears! :)
    And despite the calories, I'm washing it all down with some Samuel Adams New World golden ale.

Rub recipe (i scale up big time and make about a gallon jug's worth once or twice a year... then switch up the liquid i use with it to vary flavor)
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 tablespoon paprika
    • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    • 1 tablespoon granulated onion (i dehydrate my own onions and powderize in a coffee bean grinder - tastes much better than store bought)
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
    • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (i substitute with my homegrown pepper blend 1/3 red habanero, 1/3 Thai chili, 1/3 cayenne)
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon white pepper (sometimes i leave this out...)
    [/quote]