WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options
852492q0ena3hqhg.gif

:flowerforyou: Welcome to a great place for support and encouragement on your weight loss journey. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: This is an open group and we hope you will join us and become part of the family.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals for December?

:flowerforyou: What are your goals for January?

:flowerforyou: Some of us set weight loss goals but many set goals for changes in behavior or attitude.

:flowerforyou: It’s a new month, a new year, a new page on the calendar……..let’s make it count.

:flowerforyou: It’s a new page on the calendar and a new opportunity to change your life………let’s go.

1931198p43maccgbb.gif

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning and welcome everyone to January 1st 2012.

:flowerforyou: Weighed myself this morning (147.75 lbs) so starting afresh from today.

:flowerforyou: Stayed up last night to watch the firework display on TV live from London - very spectacular - then went to bed. Luckily there weren't too many fireworks around where we live, so Tara wasn't bothered too much.

:flowerforyou: My January goal is to log food and exercise daily. I'm another one who starts with all guns blazing then fizzle out like a damp squib.

:flowerforyou: Here's to a healthy start to the new year.

Viv :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy 2012 ladies. I always like leap years. It's like we get a free day.

Let's all try to have the best year we can,

Love to you all. I'm off to the gym!

Amanda x
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Hello all. Welcome to 2012! I hope it's a happy one for you!

I reached my goal for December, and am just thinking about January.

Someone said on the December thread (sorry, I have a terrible memory) that they'd like to be more consistent....good food choices, exercise, be healthier, cleaning the house etc. That sounded good. I'm a fizzler too though. I go through long periods where I couldn't be bothered doing anything, then others where I just go at it non-stop. I'd like to find the secret to my motivated periods (I'm generally good at staying under calories at least...you get used to doing these type of things when you've been dieting for 18 months :smile:

I think for January, and the start of a new year, I would like to also be more consistent.

So for January my goals are to increase the exercise, ensure I get at least my 8 glasses of water per day, and stay under calories (of course). As a result of all this (and I know a lot of you don't like scale goals, but they motivate me) I would really like to lose 2 kilos if at all possible. That would be a wonderful result! :happy:

BTW, in the last thread I asked Suzy what simple carbs were, as opposed to complex carbs...yes, I know it's a pretty ignorant question, but we have to learn somehow. :blushing: So in case she doesn't pick up my late post, can someone please fill me in?

Cheers,
    Kathie
  • winw
    winw Posts: 15
    Options
    Simple carbs are things that turn to sugar (in the body) fast. Complex carbs take more time to digest and therefore don't play such havoc with insulin.

Most of the "white" things are simple carbs - sugar, white bread, white rice, flour. While brown rice, whole wheat flour and whole grain cereals are complex. They take longer to digest, make you feel full longer and don't start you on the roller coaster of insulin up/insulin down. I can never remember which way the glycemic index goes, but it is basically a measure of how simple or complex the carb is. That whole diet is based on this concept.

For most of us, if we avoid sugar and eat the more complex grains and vegetables we do better in both how full we feel for how long and how fast we lose weight.

I forgot white potatoes. They should be in the white list above - duh!
  • DMCNR
    DMCNR Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I just joined. I've been doing this "changing me" program since Labor Day (September 4th to be precise). (I was actually in a seminar called Beyond Fitness which gave me some great tools and I added some other tools, which is how I found MyFitnessPal).

It's a lot about working out for me and I've been making big strides (from couch potato). I work out at least 6 days a week. I've lost 10 inches so far (though only 14 pounds). I think I'm building a fair amount of muscle. It's been really life-changing.

I'm excited about joining all of you on this adventure. It's like a completely new me, unleashed.

Happy New Year! to all of you bold, powerful (and empowered) ladies! Can't wait to see how much we get done this year!

Dominique
  • karmajules
    karmajules Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Love to join your group. I was 50 last year (2011) and had promised myself I would not be Fat and 50. Unfortunately, I was and am,. but more importantly I am unfit and unhealthy too! So, I start 2012 with a clean slate and some new focus and goals to make sure that 2012 will be the begining of a healthier, fitter and slimmer life.

Look forward to posting with you.

Jxx
  • dandelion57
    Options
    hi ladies and a happy new year to you all :flowerforyou:

ive just joined; been over weight for many years and have my name down for a gastric band but thought id give calorie counting one last shot. i usually do slimming world cus i canna bear counting everything up but hoping this 'fitness pal' is going to make all the difference and help me to be more organised.

ive been 'practising' this last week and learn not to eat cheese and bagels haha........ so im starting on monday and would love to have some group support.

dandelion xXx

ps thanks for the complex v simple carb - thats really helped me with my diabetic food choices. :ohwell:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker:

thank you barbie, for starting the thread, love the graphics!!:flowerforyou:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!welcome all newcomers...

i too have been thinking of goals for 2012, and specially january....i find that i go overbroad with foods, though i will stay within my calorie range my choices are not the best...so for january i will keep sweets to a treat(once a week)and find a healthy subsitute for my evening dessert...or wash my teeth after dinner and not have anything(i did this for a while last year and it really helped)but as soon as i taste something sweet my desire for the sugars just goes wild and difficult to manage...
    as for exercise i average 75-90 a day (i use cardio as an antidepressant)so i need to workout daily...so exercise is not a problem, as for weights i do weights 2 times a week, but i need to start doing my PT exercises for my lower boby also 2 times a week, and a yoga class 1-2 times a week...
    i was reading some the post i totally understand, because i have experienced the go, go, go feeling and then nothing...i was there last year...i had started MFP in aug 2010, did very well until jan 2011, i had lost 28lbs, but in january my logging and exercises were gone, it took me til late may to get back on the wagon, by then i was gain more than half back....
    something i did learn from last time was to start eating well as soon as possilbe , so i did, on the 26th i was back on track, and also the exercise, i kept exercising though did make adjustments in the time.....

something that has helped as well is that found this group(i had not been part of the broads), i am so blessed to be able to express myself, a worry or concern and have you all give advise and support, thank you ..also i joined a few challenges....which were fun and make you accoutable....have a wonderful day all

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL:love:

PS..sorry for the long post:blushing:
  • WILDTRIP
    WILDTRIP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to be in on this one. I have been doing Myfittness for a year but did not stay with it and toke off 26 pounds totand for the years total I lost 10 pounds. I know I can do it but the more support and friends the better off we all can be. So count me in.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I would like to in on this too. I am at the point of trying to maintain. I know I have to still work my plan here to do so. I need to work with weights more. I have a physical job so I know I need to keep up on my muscles. It doesn't get easier as we get older. I just turned 55 in december. I started here because I just got tired of the yo-yoing. Here's to a new year.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    852492q0ena3hqhg.gif

:flowerforyou: Welcome to a great place for support and encouragement on your weight loss journey. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: This is an open group and we hope you will join us and become part of the family.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals for December?

:flowerforyou: What are your goals for January?

:flowerforyou: Some of us set weight loss goals but many set goals for changes in behavior or attitude.

:flowerforyou: It’s a new month, a new year, a new page on the calendar……..let’s make it count.

:flowerforyou: It’s a new page on the calendar and a new opportunity to change your life………let’s go.

1931198p43maccgbb.gif

Hi, I would love to be in on this too.

I only joined today, have 30 lbs to lose and am totally serious about losing it too, the more support and motivation I have the better in my view.

:flowerforyou:
  • kazisindahouse
    kazisindahouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    Altho not quite 50 (I have just over 3 years to go) you did say any women could join so here goes!
    I've been overweight all of my live and have yoyo dieted for what seems like forever! I've been told I need to have a hysterectomy which they wont do until I loose weight so I am trying to motivate myself to loose some weight as at the end of the day I want a quality of life that I can enjoy and I'm fed up of being in pain.

I have an ideal weight in mind and thats what I've set as my target. It means loosing a collosal 177lbs which is more than half my body weight and at this point I dont know if thats achievable but I'd like to think I could give it a bloomin' good go! However if I find I seem to settle at something around that, say a stone heavier then I'd still be happy.
    I know this is going to take some time and that I need to be realistic as to how long its going to take me to achieve it. I dont want to set myself unrealistic targets but I think 14lb in the first month seems fair, anything else is going to be a bonus.
    I also need to educate myself in regards to what I eat as I've eaten a lot of junk food for so long now. So I'm going back to the basics and I'm going to read up on healthy eating and how food affects us etc.

I'd be interested in knowing about any recommended reading, suggestions for websites etc. Anything you've tried and its worked, or not for that matter too!

Here's to a new year and a new me!!!
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone and especially the newcomers - you are all welcome.

Kazisindahous - for me your goal of 14lbs seems a little high and I don't like to see people set themselves up for failure. 2lbs per week is a more realistic goal (i.e. 8lbs for a month). Often weight comes off quicker at the beginning and if you set your goal to 8lbs and actually lose 14 then you can celebrate big time. If you set your goal at 14 and achieve it then you will expect to lose 14 next month, and the month after which is probably not achievable. If you set your goal at 14 and don't achieve it, then you will say - I've always been overweight and I've just proved I can't lose weight.

I have not been here much for the past month, but that has changed. I'M BACK and I will be logging my food every day. I've corrected my ticker to reflect my actual weight so I'm back a chunk from where I was, but I will get back there just 1 lb at a time. My goal is to lose 1 lb. My long term goal is to lose another pound after the one which is my current goal.

We had a good New Year, unfortunately my pre-food anti-allergic reaction pill didn't work and after only eating a little bit of my appertizer at a local restaurant, I lost what I had eaten and so didn't eat anything else. The meal was packaged up, so guess what we are having tonight!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year all you lovelies!:love:
    New year, new check register. New month, Boniva taken. New day, fresh start. I am so grateful to be alive, healthier than last year, married to Joe, blessed with the General and Dixie and all you wonderful gals! My cup runneth over.:drinker:

December plus: Got down on the mat every day for the past week for 30+ minutes of chiro stretches and PT knee exercises.
    December delta: After getting back to old tickerweight, the rum balls triggered a holiWEEKEND and I'm up again.:angry: Tried to start an aerobic conditioning program to gear up for snow showing class next Saturday, over did it, old knees flared up and now I'm benched.:mad: : No stairs.:explode: Knee brace when walking or dancing. :grumble: Snowshoeing next weekend won't happen.:sad:

For January goals, I'm starting to see how clinging to non-essentials eats up my time and energy. Gonna try to let go, at least once in awhile, of being AlwaysRight, of All-or-Nothing, of Perfect-or-Not-At-All. Good enough COULD be!
    Who knows, I might even get rid of some stuff?

Thanks Barbie for starting us off every month and your humor and wisdom.:heart:
    Viv, bravely done! You inspired me to make the ticker reflect the reality. Later today.:wink:
    Welcome Dominique, jxx, dandeion, wildtrip, pholbert, december child, kazindahous Congrats for beginning! Start with something do-able, like logging every lick, bite and sip (thanks Mary msh). It will be a real eye-opener. AFTER logging has become habit, pick another tiny behavior change. Maybe making the water goal, or hitting the protein target. The idea is to break the cycle of failure/depression/emotional eating by building a string of tiny, repeatable successes. You'll see that most of us try, stumble, and encourage each other to get back on track right away. :ohwell:
    dominque 10 inches, WOW! :flowerforyou:
    dandelion, my good friend had gastric bypass surgery last Dec and has been very successful. BUT to be honest, if I foreswore sugar, white flour, alcohol, limited portion size to 3 oz and exercised vigorously six days a week as she has/does, I wouldn't need the expensive, invasive and permanent procedure. :tongue: Just my 2 cents. We all must choose what works for us. Every body is different.
    pam thanks for the toothbrushing tip!:smile:
    pholbert "physical job"?:tongue:
    Faye my Uncle Art used to sing "Apple Pie without cheese... is like a kiss without a squeeze!" I'd start running to him at "cheese" and at "kiss" jump into his arms for the big hug. :love:
    Michele, why no fowl at New Years? Mama used to eat pickled herring (yuck) :sick: and sometimes served black-eyed peas. Some strange Scandinavian/Southern superstion combination.:bigsmile:
    That is it! I'm letting go of the rest of the monster December reply post. Amanda, Kathie, winw and everyone else, I'm reading all the posts, but "letting go" of the feeling I must respond to everyone, every time. That feeling is a carry over from when my mama required a response every time she paused for breath. Guess she wanted to make sure I was paying attention. I AM paying attention, but maybe I just don't have anything constructive to add. Thanks for understanding.

Hugs to ALL,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, who WILL be size 10 one day
    January: mat work and let go a little every day.
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!
  • kazisindahouse
    kazisindahouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    genealace - thanks for the recommendation. I think in all honesty I probably am setting myself up to fall at the first hurdle. I've based the loss on the last diet I was on when I lost 6lbs for 2 weeks running. That was a while ago and I was also a lot more active then.

I'll reset my first months loss to 8lbs and like you say, anything more is a bonus!
    Thanks for the advice you're a **STAR**
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    how do you join?
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Can I play, too? I'm 56 and this time last year I was getting ready to have a 2nd exploratory laparotomy (know I am not spelling that right) in a six month period :sick: . on the 4th of January.

All ended well, but having been unable to exercise for nearly a year and suddenly being ejected into menopause I was really heavy.

I started here in June with the goal of losing 30+ pounds. I have to say, I've never lost weight this slowly before--only 14 pounds in six months. But I managed to gain only 1.5 over the holidays, my jeans that I wore all summer literally fall off me, and I am feeling so much more confident about being able to move and do things without pain (lots of scar tissue from the operations, it seems). I really do want to reach that 30+ pound goal, but now I am hoping to complete it over the course of the next sixth months. I'd love to hear from other ladies who have dealt with getting fit after major abdominal surgery--I'm a horse back rider and I would really like to ride well again
  • beth535
    beth535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year, everyone! Welcome to the newcomers!

Barbie: Thanks for the new thread.

I'm not very good at remembering names, either, so I've written some down for responses. Here's a weird thought from my sometimes weird brain: I don't want to insult anyone by NOT commenting on their post. People-pleasing?? LOL!!! I'm definitely a work in progress, and it's progress, not perfection!

Dominique: Please share your secret for staying motivated to exercise.

Probably my biggest goal for 2012 is to exercise consistently. I'm thinking that one of the things that has put me off is how heavy I am. Also, I started having trouble with shortness of breath on exertion about six months after I'd stopped smoking cigarettes, which was QUITE annoying. But, I'd gained 35 pounds in those six months, so it was understandable. So, I guess some of it is fear of being out of breath. I'm not very fond of sweating either...

Dandelion: In a period of 6-7 weeks after I first joined MFP late September 2011, I lowered my A1C from 5.9 to 5.7, just because I was logging my food and making better choices.

Kazisindahous: Interesting nick! I had my hysterectomy when I was 50 The recovery was longer than I expected. Amazing how weak the body can get when body parts are removed! But I'm SO glad I'll never have to deal with a tampon again! Being put into instant menopause was also a surprise.

To all of you who deal with hot flashes: try the herb black cohosh. It was a life-save for me. It took about a week but significantly reduced the night sweats. I was recently put on a medication that causes night sweats and it helped with that, too.

A book recommendation: I've mentioned this one before. "The Self Compassion Diet" by Jean Fein. This is a truly wonderful "toolkit" for changing your eating habits in a positive, loving, nurturing way. No food plans here. Just options like cognitive behavior techniques, visualization, and group support. It's what encouraged me to find all of you. Lots of scientific evidence in this one by a very reputable woman in the medical and weight loss community.

Those of you who've been around know that I'm in 12-step recovery Fifteen + years of sobriety from marijuana (my drug of choice) and alcohol through the program of AA. Now I have 10 months, 3 weeks of being nicotine free, thanks to Nicotine
    Anonymous. I've tried Overeaters Anonymous, and I think a few of you participate, but for me it's enough of a challenge to be working the 12 steps in two program simultaneously. Yet, Dr. Fein wrote about the importance of support groups and I know from my experience that's how I've stayed sober and "smober!"

I was pretty consistent about logging my food daily on MFP and posting somewhat regularly until the second week of December. I think I last had about 70 days in a row. Then I had some crises going on around me that caused me a bit of stress. I didn't drink or drug. I didn't pick up a cigarette (a miracle!). I always say I have one "disease with many manifestations." So that left food and compulsive spending as my escape routes. Having recently cleaned up from my last financial splurge, I didn't want to go down that route again. That left food for comfort.

The first week or so I would come in here and just do a "quick calorie add" that was over the daily goal, just to keep logging in. Then that slipped, too. I've gained back four of the eight pounds I'd lost.

Reading the posts here helps to motivate me. I know I'm not alone. I hear my story in your stories. Looking at your "loss meters" gives me hope that I can do it, too. Best of all, MFP is FREE!!!! Although it does take an investment of time.

Speaking of which, I've now spent too much time on here and need to get my day in gear. I've been told by some of you not to apologize for my long posts. I just feel a bit guilty because I know it takes time to read what everyone has written and I try to keep my PC time within normal limits because I can be addicted to that, too!!

To close, my 2012 goal is consistency in treating my body with the loving care it deserves, which involves good food choices, exercise, and accountability.

Wishing you all the healthiest of new years.

Beth
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Wolfie - you joined just by posting! We're so happy to have you.

Took Lexi and Bonnie to the vet today. He's really of the opinion that Bonnie has a bit of ovarian tissue from the spay. Something like that's not common, but it's also not unheard of. He did take a sample, but we think she'll probably be going back next Friday for a "super spay"

Did a step DVD today (Fri). One of the hardest parts I find is that every instructor calls things differently. Like she'd say "over five times", well, I've always thought that meant that you go over the board five times. In her case, what she meant was that you go over once and take five steps (did I confuse you sufficiently?). I think it's pretty good, I just have to get used to her ways, that's all. Tomorrow...yoga

Welcome, Cynthia! I'm sure that by posting and logging your food, you'll get to the bottom of what you need to do.

Pam - would you ask you son, please, if freezing the pie would make it juicier? Even if you coated the apples with flour?

Faye - I really don't like pies that are store bought. To me, if I'm going to use those calories, it'd better be for something good. Store pies have artificial sugars or HFCS not to mention the lard in the crust. Guess I'm somewhat of a foodie. Glad your head is better

I invited Ken & Lynette here for dinner tomorrow night (Sat). I was just going to make some spaghetti sauce, so I can make lots more. I know that Lynette isn't one who likes to cook, and I really don't mind. If they come, I did find a recipe for a lemon cheesecake that I'll make. They'll have to take the rest home since Vince won't eat cheesecake. Update: they are coming at 7:00. I just made the meatballs for the sauce. I'll make the cheesecake tomorrow and some chocolate chip cookies for Vince. I'm going to have shiratake noodles. To be honest, I really prefer the taste of them (not to mention that they are lower in calories) Update, update: you know, Lynette really didn't eat a whole lot. Wonder if it's because of me or because she is just full? To me, the next time I make that lemon cheesecake, I'm going to add one pkg of unflavored gelatin. It had good flavor, I just thought it should have been more "firm".

Oops ... better get dinner going. I'm planning on having left over lobster, crab, and shrimp from Christmas.

cathy - how much weight have you lost???? You look so lovely in your pic. (and the baby isn't so bad, either...lol) Where are you going on your cruise? How long will you be gone??

We are more and more convinced that Bonnie is in "heat". The vet says that cats aren't like other animals. Once they go into heat, they stay there until they get pregnant. Fortunately, Bonnie can't get pregnant. The vet usually does his operating on Fridays, but if the results of the test come in that she has some ovarian tissue, he may want to do the operation earlier. I understand that it's easier to spay a cat when she is in heat. I guess the tissue is larger making it easier for the vet to see.

Welcome Dominique Jxx, Wildtrip, phlobert and dandelion and anyone else that I've missed. So many new people!. You've come to the right place for motivatioin, ideas, and whatever else you may need. So many new faces, that's awesome!

Barbie - LOVE the graphics! thanks for starting this thread

Pam - I know that I'd have a hard time keeping sweets to a minimum of once/week. You're a better person than I am, that's for sure. I need to have something at least once/day, even if it's just a small piece of chocolate.

Today (Sun) did an hour of pilates. Tomorrow I'll take the extremepump class.

Better post this so I mark my spot.

Here's hoping everyone has a great New Year.

Michele
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome 2012!

Barbie, thanks for starting the new thread.

2011 was a weight disaster for me. I put10 pounds back on since May. :(

For 2012 I want to get back to logging all my foods, weighing in every week and back to exercising. The lack of exercise has done a world of hurt (literally) to my shoulders which are both arthritic. I am living on Alieve twice a day right now and it is going to take some time to get back to where I was. Since I've gotten there once before, I know I can do it again.

Congratulations to all who met their goals and are on track towards your goals. You are all an inspiration to me.

To those struggling and/or new to MFP - I really feel that MFP helped me loose what I have and will help me get to my goal. Unfortunately,life gets in the way and I forgot to take time for myself since May. I am just going to take one day at a time and stick to the basics of logging and exercising. I know it works and every calorie and every minute burning them counts.

Happy New Year to all!

Jeannie