WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Saturrday and still dizzy, but better than Thursday.

Only time to pop in and check how everyone is doing, sounds like everyone is busy and working on keeping to their plan.

Mimi-it was good to see you back ( I had heard that you were taking care of your Dad and was away for awhile) Boy your pics are showing that this past year you did great:drinker: The last time I saw your profile you were still sporting the gray hair:laugh: Now look at you, thinner and brown hair...looking so much younger:love:

I went to work yesterday (hubby took me) managed my half day, got the taxes completed for the qtr and month and my payroll but by the time I got home I was wishing I'd stayed at home in bed. Today still a bit dizzy but moving around in the house and as long as I keep my head straight and not moving I don't feel too bad either....then I move and I realized that I'm not well yet...NUTS:grumble:

With the dizzies in my head it makes it impossible to exercise, so the only thing I can do is watch what I'm putting in my mouth and so far so good...that and drinking plenty of water:drinker:

Everyone have a good day, drink your water:drinker: and get up and get moving:flowerforyou:

Laura:smile:
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    well guess today was a cheat day went shopping with my daughter for the new grandaughter/niece and we went out lunch had a Five guys burger shame on me. Oh well lets ad the food and move forward. Shopping for the granddaughter is as much fun as it was shopping for her big brother.

gonna have to WII later
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Why oh why do I sabotage myself??? Decided I just had to bake something today, I love baking..so I made gluten free p-nut butter chocolate chip cookies. These cookies are amazing...only ingredients are peanut butter, brown and granuated sugar, 1 egg, vanilla, baking soda and chocolate chips....and yet when they are baked they have a cookie texture and are wonderful ...Because I have to eat gluten free I can talk myself into feeling sorry for myself and eat something like this...I know it is not what I should do and need to work on this. OK, I am over it and moving on and the good thing is that the whole recipe only made 20 cookies...DH will eat most of them because he loves pnut butter and a new week starts tomorrow. Guess I will literally have to work my *kitten* off this week!
    xoSissy
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,375 Member
    Options
    genalace - prayers for you and your bf. Boy, what a saga you've had about your furnace! So glad you bf came thru the surgery.

Welcome valpreston and good luck on your challenger. You CAN do it. Have you thought about holding weights (they are on the floor) while doing pushups so that there is less strain on your wrist? With all that snow, where do you live?

shmogo - hope you have a wonderful day It certainly sounds lovely.

Nancy - congrats on your new HRM! I know you'll love it. I'm surprised 12 and 13 year olds would want stickers. I remember Bryan used to give his students these temporary tatoos. Oh, exercise defintely banishes the blues, the other good thing is that I guess the endorphins start surging thru your body so if you go food shopping right after exercising, at least I know that I tend to pass up on the "not so good for you" foods and will buy the good foods. Oh, how I loved the baguettes in France! You really can't get that same type of thing here, but they try to get as close as they can. I suspect some of it not only is that in France they don't use all the preservates we do here in the US, but there's probably also a difference in the flour. I remember my grandmother telling me that when she came to the US, she had to relearn how to bake because the flour was so different!

jaks - you know, Vince really likes Five Guys, I personally don't find them at all anything above a "ehhhh". Same for In-And-Out burger

Virginia talking about how your daughter couldn't do the DVD reminded me of this strength training class I took a few years ago. Here I was, twice the age of most of the students (or nearly twice) yet I was lifting heavier weights than most of them! That "Five Mile Walk", is it the one with a blue cover? I have one of her DVD's that's a 5 mile walk, but I don't remember any kind of advanced segment. I would find that interesting. I am trying logging my food, even tho I see that ugly red number (I'm a bit surprised at today's number) and I'm doing my exercising. I'll get back there, I know it.

Well, hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • shmogo9
    shmogo9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: just checking back in - my ME DAY was awesome - hair and nails are done and massage was sooooo good.....I indulged in a little too many wine calories with the wedding party crew but we got the bride a dress :drinker: ....she looked so beautiful.:love: ...we just had to celebrate but talk about some nervous ladies around her when she's holding a glass of red wine :sick: but all was well and we got the dress back in the bag without incident lol

I'm a BeautiControl Consultant and Winnipeg is holding our Wonderful Wedding Show this weekend and I'm working a booth there - hopefully will grow my business even more and will get back on track with that as well as my weight loss journey. Will try and make time to check in tomorrow.....

have a good evening and a great tomorrow Everybody!:heart::heart:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone - It is very windy today here in York UK but the sun is shining :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:noway: Can't stay too long sat at the computer, it's taken me nearly an hour to log my food for yesterday and catch up with all the "news".:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Welcome back Mary glad your dad is recovering from his surgery.

:flowerforyou: Hi to all the newcomers.

:flowerforyou: Barbie, thanks for the pep talk.

I'm wearing my pedometer today, I'm hoping to get over 10,000 steps - I remember when we were in the walking challenge at work it gave me the incentive to keep moving, so I'm hoping it wil do the same again, even though I am only in competition with myself.

Sounds as if hubby is getting up, he's had a long lie in today lucky thing. I was up early again (with DD) to walk the doggies .

Time to get moving I've sat down long enough now.

X
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Why oh why do I sabotage myself??? Decided I just had to bake something today, I love baking..so I made gluten free p-nut butter chocolate chip cookies. These cookies are amazing...only ingredients are peanut butter, brown and granuated sugar, 1 egg, vanilla, baking soda and chocolate chips....and yet when they are baked they have a cookie texture and are wonderful ...Because I have to eat gluten free I can talk myself into feeling sorry for myself and eat something like this...I know it is not what I should do and need to work on this. OK, I am over it and moving on and the good thing is that the whole recipe only made 20 cookies...DH will eat most of them because he loves pnut butter and a new week starts tomorrow. Guess I will literally have to work my *kitten* off this week!
    xoSissy

I do the same thing and then get so angry with myself. I had a very bad week and actually gained . Better choices this week I vow!!
    Sisan
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Morning all, hope your all having a great weekend. It si a rainy dreary day here in SC. The good news today is a loss of .6 pounds. It is not the biggest loss, but I am always happy with any loss, gets me that much closer to my goal and all of those little losees add up.
    Marazon: I teach middle school math and science ant a small Catholic school. I have been trying to get in a 10 to 15 actuvuty from my new kinnects your shape. My advantage is only my husband and myself are at home so I am only getting my self ready.
    genelace: Glad to hear DBF is recovering form his surgery.
    Laura 80111: sorry to hear about your dizzies, my husband had that problem over the summer I know it is horrible not being able to move without felling dizzy. He was prescribed seasick patches that helped him.
    shmogo9 super on your me day.
    Take care all
    KC
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I did terrible on calories last week, but much better on getting back into a daily exercise routine. DS's Beirthday bash went well. Hubby ended up doing. The driving and DD and I went swimming.

Talking about teenage daughters - my DD is my workout buddy. Between her hip surgery, her joint disease and my age and arthritis we have decided that we need to support each other. We both put on 10 pounds in 2011 and we want to get rid of it.

To all the snow shovelers - Be careful. Take it easy and take it slow.

Best wishes, hugs and war thoughts to all going through issues with life.

Jeannie
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!! I have been out of town for 6 days, and can't believe how many pages of posts I have to read to catch up with everyone's news. Reason for being out of town??? YEAH...am now a grandmother. My son and his wife gave birth to a 6 pound 4 ounce boy. That's the good news....bad news being, there was no limit to what I ate. Got on the scale this morning and was up 3.5 pounds. Going to make sure I log everything that goes into this body!! Really is the only way to make sure I don't go overboard. Now...let me start reading.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Virginia talking about how your daughter couldn't do the DVD reminded me of this strength training class I took a few years ago. Here I was, twice the age of most of the students (or nearly twice) yet I was lifting heavier weights than most of them! That "Five Mile Walk", is it the one with a blue cover? I have one of her DVD's that's a 5 mile walk, but I don't remember any kind of advanced segment. I would find that interesting. I am trying logging my food, even tho I see that ugly red number (I'm a bit surprised at today's number) and I'm doing my exercising. I'll get back there, I know it.

Well, hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QCU516/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

That's the DVD I have. I think you must have the "5 Mile Fat Burning Walk" or the "5 Really Big Miles" both of which I considered. Mine has 5 different individual miles:

2 different fast miles with arm movements but no weights/resistance
    A mile with 2 lb. hand weights
    A mile with a resistance belt (I don't have this so I improvise with my band)
    A mile with a resistance band

You can choose from several programs:

Two fast miles + any one of the weight/resistance miles for 3 miles
    5 Advanced miles, which is all of the miles in an hour (a 5 mph pace) with about 1 min break between miles
    5 Challenge miles, which is all of them run together without the break

I generally do the 5 Advanced miles because I use the minute to get a drink but I keep moving so my heart rate doesn't drop. I do it because I need my butt kicked every now and then to build my endurance, which I had absolutely NONE of when I started. I look forward to the day it doesn't kick my butt, but don't expect it any time real soon!

Virginia
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HI All!

Susanpv - Congrats on the new grandson:flowerforyou: enjoy as you know they grow so quickly:wink:

YEAH today I'm not dizzy, after 4 1/2 days of it I'm ready to get back to the real world. Lots of exercising to catch up on and things I wanted to do.

Everyone have a good Sunday and for those of you that had a slip, just jump back on the train:drinker: we are here to tell you you can do it:drinker:

Drink your water:drinker: and get up and move.

Laura:smile:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!! I have been out of town for 6 days, and can't believe how many pages of posts I have to read to catch up with everyone's news. Reason for being out of town??? YEAH...am now a grandmother. My son and his wife gave birth to a 6 pound 4 ounce boy. That's the good news....bad news being, there was no limit to what I ate. Got on the scale this morning and was up 3.5 pounds. Going to make sure I log everything that goes into this body!! Really is the only way to make sure I don't go overboard. Now...let me start reading.

wonderful news...congratulations on your grandson....now that things are back to normal ...the weight will start dropping off:flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Reason for being out of town??? YEAH...am now a grandmother. My son and his wife gave birth to a 6 pound 4 ounce boy.
    I should be right on your heels. My daughter is scheduled to induce late tomorrow night. I won't be going to see her until after Valentines Day but I am still waiting on pins and needles for updates.

So I planned out my food for the week and I have my exersize plan all set to go. I am ready to feel good again.

Ritter is doing really well on the house breaking. He is asking to go out already. I am so impressed with his ability to learn. He knows his name well and he understands sit and come commands. He is going to be a great dog.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I'm new here. Trying to get to know everyone. I am 50 and just starting my journey to get off the weight I've gained the last 10 years. Congrats to the new Grandmothers!! So exciting.

I am surprised to see how "good" I usually am until around 5:00 PM. Eating enough healthy food early in the day is going to be my goal for next week. I'm not weighing myself until next month. Figured I might actually see something if I waited 21 days.

I live in Northern VA and have two younger children 6 and 12. Trying to regain health after a fall and bad ankle break. Look forward to sharing this journey with you all.

Sarah
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Dinner club meeting last night. :smile: The husband of the host couple is from South Africa, so it was a South African themed party. Too much fun! They really went all out & had decorations in the colours of the SA flag, photos of SA playing on the TV and place cards shaped like African animals. I got the lion - Queen of the Jungle. He speaks Africans, so they printed a bi-lingual menu too. I can't possibly log the food (it won't be in the MFP data bank) and don't want to log the wine, :wink: so we will call it a wash and begin anew today!

Tried out my heart rate monitor yesterday and discovered that I burned more calories dog-walking than the Nike fitness ap on my iPod gives me credit for. :smile: Today I'll go to the gym for my usual workout and see what happens there. It tells me I should not go over 150 bpm - I know I do when I'm doing sprints on the treadmill. I like the feeling of working really hard (for a very short time!)

I must face reality, get up and plan the menus for the week, get the veggies prepped and make a batch of muffins for lunches. There is no more snow here and the sun is shining. If I'm lucky DH will come with me when I take Buster dog out for his walk.

Here's to a good week, the end of January. :drinker:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I'm new here. Trying to get to know everyone. I am 50 and just starting my journey to get off the weight I've gained the last 10 years. Congrats to the new Grandmothers!! So exciting.

I am surprised to see how "good" I usually am until around 5:00 PM. Eating enough healthy food early in the day is going to be my goal for next week. I'm not weighing myself until next month. Figured I might actually see something if I waited 21 days.

I live in Northern VA and have two younger children 6 and 12. Trying to regain health after a fall and bad ankle break. Look forward to sharing this journey with you all.

Sarah

welcome sarah, and good luck on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Sarah

:flowerforyou: Welcome, Sarah, you have come to the right place.....the women on this thread can be the support group you need to help you be successful.....if you have questions, ask them......someone or many someones will have answers that can help you.

:flowerforyou: Eating healthy food early in the day can help a lot.

:flowerforyou: something that helped me was reading "The Thin Commandments Diet"......it's not a diet as much as some very well researched information about eating in a way that keeps you from sabotaging yourself----the first commandment is "Strategy is stronger than will power"

:bigsmile: Nancy, I' have done the same thing when eating somewhere with highly unusual food
    not logging and starting fresh the next day.....it's not worth the effort trying to figure out the calorie count.....your South African event sounds wonderful

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Susanpv, congratulations on your new grandson :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:noway: :noway: The weatherman miscalculated and it dropped below freezing last night......so when I went out with the dogs for our walk around the neighborhood, it didn't take me long to figure out that the streets and driveways were dangerously icy :cry: so we came back to the house and went out to the big meadow behind our house where I walk the dogs individually in the morning and walked around there for our whole walk......there are lots of birds and good things to smell so the girls had fun....there was a lot of snow and no place was too icy to walk:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: while the girls were sniffing I did squats or jogged in place to keep my heart rate up......I didn't get nearly as many steps as I do when we are walking on dry roads but it was a fun and healthy workout for all three of us....today is our Isagenix cleanse day so we'll be taking it easy the rest of the day.......there's a ton of laundry (towels from the dog grooming yesterday and towels from drying wet, icy dogs during the week):bigsmile: ......in the afternoon we'll watch the football games....as former residents of Northern California we'll be rooting for the 49ers and I went to college in Baltimore for a year so I'll root for the Ravens in the other game.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    A quick hello ladies. Just got home after babysitting my sister's two youngest for the weekend. They are six and 12 and have totally worn me out. Mind you - we were taking it in turns to dance on the table at one point. They love getting me to dance for them and things always end up a bit crazy.

I have three days of looking after my grandtwins this week - early starts as I have to leave home by 5:30 am.

My aim this week is to try to up my fibre intake. It will be interesting to see if that has any affect on my weight.

Must dash.

Love to you all.

Amanda x
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hello All - :flowerforyou: Just a quick hello. Off for groceries and the "good" food.

I had a granddaughter birthday yesterday......party was great.......pizza for food :cry: Will work off those extra cals today.

Welcome to the newbies!! This is a great inspirational group....keep tagging along. I have and it's worth all the good info and support everyone provides. Plus you get a new MFP peep along the way.

Have a good week everyone.....back to work tomorrow. :drinker: