what is YOUR bmi?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    when I started mine was around 60, now it's around 30, but BMI isn't too realistic for me since my body fat is around 20% right now, I am shooting for 10% body fat so another 20 lbs lost, barring I don't loose much muscle mass. At 10% Body Fat I would still be considered overweight.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Currently mine is at 35.
    When I started it was 50.
    My goal is 25... maybe
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I'm not sure the relevance of this in this thread, but most "broscientists" I've noticed recommend way more protein then the body really needs. Here's the thing, you eat a smaller amount of protein, and more carbs, your body uses the carbs for energy, and the protein for muscle repair/building. Now, switch that, cut the carbs and add more protein, and your body just uses some of the protein for muscle repair/building and converts the rest to glycogen to replace the carbs you aren't eating. The end result is the same. That's why nutrition textbooks call for a protein amount of 0.8 grams per kilogram of bodyweight for the average person.

Also, the amount of sugar you eat is totally irrelevant for fitness unless you have diabetes or another type of insulin resistance/metabolic disorder. Sugar, simple sugar specifically, can actually be a great energy source for hard performance, as it's taken up very quickly by the body for immediate use. Now, limiting sugar can be helpful for fat loss, but at 12% body fat, I doubt she's looking to lose any fat.

Tiger is flexing his brain muscles!
    *In an Arnold Swartzenegger voice*
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    it surprises me that people with a low bmi feel they need to be on here. can anyone give me some insight? for what reason do you feel you need to lose weight?
    i do also agree that bmi isnt much to go on at times, ie certainly if you have low body fat and are very muscular. i will check out some of the websites posted earlier in the thread when i get a chance. i like the sound of the australian site where it more goes by measurements :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    it surprises me that people with a low bmi feel they need to be on here. can anyone give me some insight? for what reason do you feel you need to lose weight?
    i do also agree that bmi isnt much to go on at times, ie certainly if you have low body fat and are very muscular. i will check out some of the websites posted earlier in the thread when i get a chance. i like the sound of the australian site where it more goes by measurements :)

1. Some of us didn't start out at a low BMI but like the site and the friendships we've made too much to leave once we've reached our goals.
    2. It's called MyFITNESSpal, not MyWEIGHTLOSSPal. A lot of people are here not necessarily to lose weight, but to maintain or even gain weight or to work on their body composition.
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

1. Some of us didn't start out at a low BMI but like the site and the friendships we've made too much to leave once we've reached our goals.
    2. It's called MyFITNESSpal, not MyWEIGHTLOSSPal. A lot of people are here not necessarily to lose weight, but to maintain or even gain weight or to work on their body composition.

that makes so much sense, i hadnt thought of it like that. great reply
    health and fitness is definately a lifestyle that is long term :)
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    According to most everyone I speak with BMI is not as important as fat index. BMI, as I understand it, is basically a number that looks at your height and weight and says you are over, under or just right, w/out taking into account your muscle mass.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes but bmi is easy to measure - body fat % is much more tricky!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options

It's still a poor measure of fitness or health. lol Regardless how how easy it is to measure.

If a person has more muscle or less muscle than an average person it can give a pretty inaccurate measure of health.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    i look just normal now, and i'm going for skinny look :) i'm not anorexic or too skinny, but i'm struggling to lose weight and it's ten times harder for me to lose 1 pound than for most of you :(

EEEK. At 5 foot 8, and only 115 I'd imagine that would be nearly impossible! Be safe girly.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What's that saying - don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good?

Just because bmi isn't perfect doesn't mean it's totally useless. With the right caveat and considerations, it is A guide, but shouldn't be the ONLY measure.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    32 right now, 43lbs to go till I reach 25
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Mine is between 29-30. I need it between 20-25 to get IVF though so I'm aiming for around 22.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    25.7 so close to the healthy weight range. :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    When I started (almost a year ago) it was over 34. Now it's just over 26.
    Although this is still technically "overweight", I'm not bothered about it, and am not desperate for it to be lower - I am so much fitter and healthier than I have ever been, my resting heart rate is low, all my bloodwork is dead normal (so normal it's boring, according to my doctor!), I can run for 20km and I am 4 pants sizes smaller than this time last year.

I tend to think that BMI is a reasonable guide for some people and not useful at all for others. I'm certainly not going to change my plans because of a number.
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    mine is 25 on border but dont know body fat%
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    25 dead on but before christmas i was 24.1... need to get back to it!!
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine was 40 when I started 5 months ago and now it's a smidgen under 30. Happy to no longer be obese but merely overweight :-) . My muscle mass is now higher, just, than body fat, which happy about too.
    My initial end goal was to get bmi under 25, but probably going to go on other measurements.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options

It's still a poor measure of fitness or health. lol Regardless how how easy it is to measure.

If a person has more muscle or less muscle than an average person it can give a pretty inaccurate measure of health.

Agreed. BMI is a guideline, but by no means a measure of health. Most body builders, pro footballers, etc. would be considered obese by BMI standards.