Do you run in the rain? Do you care if people are starring a

Options
12346»

Replies

• Onthedecrease
    Options
    I would LOVE to run in the rain but I wear glasses...I'd spend most of the time cleaning them and not being able to see.

If it is raining I head to the gym for a treadmill.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't run (yet?), but when I see people running in the rain, all I think is that I admire them for being hardcore dedicated runners.
  • grod45
    grod45 Posts: 20
    Options
    I would definately run in the rain, never tried it but I do love the rain, I love the feel of it and the sound of it. If people are starring, let them. They are probably thinking "I wish I was her"
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I run in the rain, snow, sleet, wind, heat, cold, night, I run in whatever conditions mother nature throws at me. If I only ran in nice weather then I would only be running about twice a week. Who cares who stares at whom, focus on your run and ignore the other people.

I also do my planned runs regardless of the weather.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida so it rains quite often. I don't mind running in the rain. Walking? Not so much. The only thing I hate is my squishy socks and shoes. I almost want a pair of sneakers that are only intended for rainy running days. But I don't mind it nor do I care what people think.

Now if it's thundering out and we're talking a massive downpour...I'll pass.

Maybe people are looking at you and saying, "Damn, she's so motivated to go running in the rain!" :)
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Actually, I don't understand some folks' antipathy to running in the rain.

After all, we won't melt!

And most times, the streets are less crowded of cars, other runners and cyclists when it rains! A big plus.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm in Vancouver Canada, so if I don't run in the rain, I'll never run in winter....I run in the rain, sleet and cold, just don't like running when it's icy and snowy, for obvious reasons.... Ipod under water resistant running jacket, phone in baggy in pocket...
    I don't give a hoot if people are looking at me - I'm running for me, not for them.....
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but if I ever take it up (more than the sporadic bursts on the treadmill) I would definitely run in the rain. I'm from Washington state though so if I refused to run in the rain, well I would never get a run in! I came into this thread because I wanted to say that when I see people running I always think "Way to go!" or something along those lines. We've had snow and crazy weather here lately and I saw a woman running hills in Seattle in the snow. I don't know what anyone else though of her but I thought she was simply awesome! She inspired me.
  • wigglentwink
    wigglentwink Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is the most incredible sense of empowerment that you can have! I get almost giddy when I see rain in the forecast now! The next thing I want to do is run in the snow

Running in the snow is fun...but can cause all kinds of issues with your form....I am on hiatus from running right now after a 5 mile frolic in the lovely white wonderland. :( Be very careful.

As far as someone watching you...I was 225 lb when I started running. I am pretty sure that from the back, my @ss looked like two hippos fighting as I "ran" down the street. I was pretty self-conscious. Then I realized, as I was driving one day, that I have NEVER thought..."Why is that girl running? She's not thin enough for that!" I have always thought to myself, "WOW!! GREAT JOB, Girl!!! You can DO IT!!" when I saw a chubby girl pounding pavement. We ALL have our challenges...just some of us wear them on the outside. Keep running. Run often. Run long. Run in the rain, in the sun, and at night. Then, before you know it, you will be completing 1/2 marathons. Ask me. I promise.
  • mish4
    mish4 Posts: 5
    Options
    I live in Washington, if I didn't run in the rain I don't know when I would run. I even ran in the snow last week... but EVERYTHING was closed and I needed out of the house! I got strange looks but I looked back at them like I was making lemons out of lemonade :)
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    its fun running in the rain :)

and I dont care at all if people stare at me when I go running.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I ran in 3 inches of snow today!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I ran in 3 inches of snow today!

I am JEALOUS!!! Not just of running in the snow but of the snow in general! It's end of January and we had one day of ice on friday night and sunday it was 50 again!
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well I ride a motorcycle in the rain so I cannot see any reason to not run in the rain. My current workout routine doesn't include running but I am all about hiking and will do so in the rain. Rain is just liquid sunshine and so long as it is not freezing cold and raining I see no reason to avoid it. Something about obtaining pneumonia while running that puts the freezing cold and rain combination on the do-not-play list… lol