• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I gave up fruits and vegetables. Never felt better

Good.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    I don't seem to able to find the other thread now?
  • _VoV
    Options
    I know. My husband and I were enjoying the discussion with you, and then POOF it disappeared.

I believe someone's feathers must have gotten ruffled, and they reported the thread. Best to you!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    make sure you do it right, I didn't and got seriously sick. Now I can't have dairy or high protein because i destroyed the enzymes in my stomach to break protein and casein down.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I know. My husband and I were enjoying the discussion with you, and then POOF it disappeared.

I believe someone's feathers must have gotten ruffled, and they reported the thread. Best to you!

What? I just rechecked this thread and they removed the debate one? For what reason?

(Oh, and in response to your earlier question, supposedly there's a group that is called Debatable Debates or something like that where people join basically to debate topics, or something, I haven't actually looked at the group, I've just seen people post about it in a couple of threads that were basically debates. But those threads got left up - like the breastfeeding in public one. Must have been something in the other thread that someone found offensive.)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    double post
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    "I do believe that the China Study has been debunked."

I assume you have a proof that the China Study has been debunked, and that, by your own standard of proof are prepared to offer me several peer reviewed journal articles that back up this otherwise, unsubstantiated claim.
    Here's a link to peer review of the China Study.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/07/31/one-year-later-the-china-study-revisited-and-re-bashed/

Not just done by the author of the blog, but several peer reviewers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    www.ohsheglows.com is a great resource for vegan recipes. I'm on her site everyday. She has an inspiring story.:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I do actually work (especially now since New Year's is here and there are many newbies at the gym) and haven't been on since late afternoon and the thread was doing fine then. In fact I wanted to interact, but now that it's gone, I don't get that chance........................boo hoo.
    I enjoy good debate especially when it's civil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marga79
    marga79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    How annoying, I thought that debate was going well.
  • tidmutt
    Options
    I was enjoying the discussion too. I had to step away to eat dinner (steak - lol) so I think I missed the inflammatory post. I hope it was something juicy otherwise what a waste.

I think they should only pull a thread when something is actually illegal beyond that I just remember my mom telling me about sticks and stones...
  • tidmutt
    Options
    How annoying, I thought that debate was going well.

Agreed. I was even going to make my avatar that picture of juicy steak, would have been so much fun. :)
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am not going to read all the posts! Try quinoa as a protein source. There are a lot of recipes for this particular food on All Recipes. It is very high in protein and taste good.
  • TheLazyNative
    Options
    i've gone through phases where i cut out meat altogether for up to 18 months at a time. various reasons: ethical, environmental, etc. it never resulted in weight loss because that wasn't my goal; i still gorged on cheese, desserts and naughty snacks. it's when i began to take a more holistic approach towards health - quite recently - that i found meat falling down the pecking order. almost by default, it's no longer a staple but something i consume sparingly. i still enjoy it, but it's all about moderation. and when you get the idea of balance into your head, the thought of a plate stacked with red or white meats becomes vaguely disgusting for a whole bunch of reasons.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    One thing that I really don't understand, and probably never will, is people's incessant need to be troll-like when it comes to things they don't fully understand, or want to participate in for themselves.

The OP said "I have slowly been giving up meet since August. I gave up red meat and starting today, all meat together. I have never been one to really enjoy any bean recipes, but I am willing to give it a try!! If you know any great vegetarian dishes or ways to get more protein, please share!!" No where in this post did it say "I want your opinions and snarky attitudes towards my decision to try vegetarianism."

If you have no supportive, encouraging words to say, or no recipes to share, there is no need to bash this person's decisions. Just because eating meat is "the norm" according to society, and you don't agree with vegetarianism for YOUR PERSONAL decisions in life, then don't be a vegetarian, but don't go around bashing those who choose this lifestyle. Didn't anyone ever tell you "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?"... This is supposed to be a SUPPORTIVE community. So BE SUPPORTIVE!"

To the OP, there are loads of websites out there which have some great vegetarian and vegan dishes, but just like any recipe, or purchased foods, you want to check the ingredients list and nutritional information for hidden calories, fats and sugars. Just because it's technically vegetarian, doesn't mean it's always good for you.

I don't remember what all some of the other posters may have listed, but here are a few more sites to get you started...

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_vegetarian_recipes
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/main-dishes/vegetarian/
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy_eating/healthy-vegetarian-recipes/pictures/index.html
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/

YES!!!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    www.ohsheglows.com is a great resource for vegan recipes. I'm on her site everyday. She has an inspiring story.:flowerforyou:

yes that is a great website :)
  • melitsace
    melitsace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok.....well, thank you everyone for responding to my post. I apologize if I did not post it correctly, as some have indicated that maybe titling this differently maybe wouldn't have drawn such a huge debate. Anyway, I was mostly looking for support not debate. I have been called nasty, vile and stupid here and in private messages so, thanks for the support! Someone ASKED me why I was doing it and I made the mistake of saying that my mother's oncologist had recommended it FOR HER and that was an additional reason I had taken this step. But most of all, i am initially looking for ways to shake up my diet but I had cut out a lot of meat already. It's not like I was eating rib eye yesterday and cut everything altogether today. So, thanks to those who have actually been supportive and encouraging and provided words of encouragement and blogs and recipes, I do VERY much appreciate it : ) Peace to you and yours : )
  • _VoV
    Options
    Ok.....well, thank you everyone for responding to my post. I apologize if I did not post it correctly, as some have indicated that maybe titling this differently maybe wouldn't have drawn such a huge debate. Anyway, I was mostly looking for support not debate. I have been called nasty, vile and stupid here and in private messages so, thanks for the support! Someone ASKED me why I was doing it and I made the mistake of saying that my mother's oncologist had recommended it FOR HER and that was an additional reason I had taken this step. But most of all, i am initially looking for ways to shake up my diet but I had cut out a lot of meat already. It's not like I was eating rib eye yesterday and cut everything altogether today. So, thanks to those who have actually been supportive and encouraging and provided words of encouragement and blogs and recipes, I do VERY much appreciate it : ) Peace to you and yours : )

Your intent seemed clear to me, and I'm sorry things veered off course. It shocked me how a friendly discussion, where you made casual mention of your mother's oncologist statement, ended up this way. I hope getting the controversy moved to another thread encouraged people to give you some helpful information. I love your decision, by the way, and wish you all the best!!