40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    yay for seeing your grandson, kellysue!

I expect all the "peeps" in between your post and my post are just 'drive-by's", so I'm paying ZERO attention.

I got my lifting in. For whatever reason, I'm super-hungry today. So, I already had my protein shake and usually that's it until supper-time. But, I just downed a protein bar, too (1/2 carbs, and 1/2 protein - about 230 calories).

I hope that holds off the hunger until supper-time - which is, like 5 HOURS away. Ugh.

Hey, cataract surgery is now "looming" for me. CATARACTS - AT MY AGE!!!

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

well, that's kind of rude isnt it?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    It's okay, when you become a "fixture", I have NO trouble being discussion-oriented!

:laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yesterday ended up being binge-day from utter hell. Ugh. Guess I've been eating too few calories and the blowback was UG-LY.

Going to try and get back-on-track, today. So far, so good.

No exercise today. Just calorie-counting.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hey All!

made it to the gym today and lifted. Have a good day!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Today was day 5 of my 38days Cut Challenge. Ive burned approximately 5900 cals in that time. Nothing lost yet, but historically speaking thats how it fluctuates and when the first lb comes off it comes in streaks of 1-2 per day for like a week.
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Beeps - hope you're back on track today.

KellySue - glad to hear you're lifting now, how is it going?

Missing a few of the old peeps, where's everybody?

Day 20 of my Whole30 and I have to admit I'M OVER IT!!!, gonna stick to it till the end because I committed myself to the team challenge, but man do I want to eat something other than protein. Hope the experiment pays off, I'll be super annoyed if after the 30 days of restricting myself like this I don't see a SIGNIFICANT difference.

Back to the gym today after work, wallballs, pistols, and chest to bar pull-ups. . A nice change to the obscene amount of lifting we did all last week into this week (overhead press 45#, push jerks 95#, front squats 115#, snatch 110#, thrusters 80#, deadlift s 155#, SDLHP 55#).

Have a good afternoon cool kids.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Kelly Sue - AWESOME on the lifting! Yay!!

Lone_Wolf - weight loss just isn't linear....the sooner we ALL get that into our (thick) heads, the BETTER! In any event, congrats on the calorie-control - CALORIES ARE KING!

newbeg1ning - I've been in one challenge or another (and sometimes multiple challenges) for nearing 18 months now. I'm giving it a rest, too, come end of June. Totally burnt out on having to log-record every damn thing. Changes are just too miniscule, now, to really "hip hip hooray" about. PS - your weightlifting numbers are VERY IMPRESSIVE! I'm a bit jealous!!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Newbeg- Just really beginning. I have absolutely no upper body strength at all. The trainer started me on some basic lifts to build up my shoulder and chest muscles because that seems to be where I have the most trouble at this point. Sometimes it's a bit intimidating depending on who is at the gym- It's not so bad when I go during the week because most of the people that are there in the morning are my age or older and it's more sparse at 6:30 in the morning. The weekend is tougher, because the younger guys get in there and I sometimes feel like everyone is staring! I know, I have no self confidence! It will get better I'm sure.

I'm also trying to figure out the best ratio of weights to cardio. I know some people do very little cardio and spend more time on weights. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose, which I know is going to take a while, but I want to make the best use of my time/energy. I usually go to the gym three days/week because that's what fits with my schedule. On the days I don't go, I walk. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alright, KellySue, here's my $0.02:

With only 3 x exercise times per week (kinda EXACTLY like me), give up ALL the cardio and focus on weights ONLY.

Cardio *is* good for your heart - so, I'm not suggesting it isn't 'important'. And, I *was* an UBER-CARDIO-QUEEN for 25+ YEARS (before I FINALLY GOT THE MEMO on weight-lifting!).

But, cardio doesn't help with fat loss, imho. Only calories in v. calories out is what moves fat off your body. And, ONLY fat will move off your body if you are weight-training 3 x per week WHILE watching your calories in v. calories out equation (i.e. you WON'T lose "muscle" in a calorie-deficit IF you are weight-training 3 x per week).

I do scheduled cardio once-per-week, in a (lame) attempt to keep up with my severe asthma. I won't lie, I HAVE LOST ENDURANCE by cutting my cardio back as much as I have.

But, weight-lifting helps with your body SHAPE.

Only calories in v. calories out will help with your BODY FAT LOSS.
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Kelly Sue - AWESOME on the lifting! Yay!!

newbeg1ning - I've been in one challenge or another (and sometimes multiple challenges) for nearing 18 months now. I'm giving it a rest, too, come end of June. Totally burnt out on having to log-record every damn thing. Changes are just too miniscule, now, to really "hip hip hooray" about. PS - your weightlifting numbers are VERY IMPRESSIVE! I'm a bit jealous!!

Yes KellySue - awesome that you are lifting, and I agree completely with Beeps' $0.02, I lift pretty much everyday with 1 rest day during the week and Sundays always (church & family day for me). That said, I also have a bit of weight to lose, 35 more lbs to be exact and my body has changed tremendously (size 8/10 down from size 18 last summer) since i started to lift but the weight loss has been very very slow. I keep hearing people say inches is what matters and I keep thinking OK but I'm still considered obese based on my weight. Anyway, keep at it, it will start to click very soon!

Beeps - if it makes you feel any better, I had to take ibuprofen EVERY day after lifting. This old lady's body hurts after that much weight :)

Hope y'all have a great weekend, I'm resting the entire weekend.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Anyone over 40 can be on this thread and you discuss only weight loss or... ?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Mustang - it's a "chat" thread - you can talk about anything here!

newbeg1ning - my weight loss is (now) like watching paint dry. 0.2 lbs here, 0.3 lbs there. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Today, I lift!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I got in a good lifting session. Will do cardio tomorrow.

That's it - I'm outta here! Have a good weekend - I'll be in-and-out at son's baseball play-offs and daughter's dance recital, so not sure I'll be back before Monday!
  • MrsSmith9411
    MrsSmith9411 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP and just turned 40 a couple of months ago. Everyone is saying 40 is the new 30, right? So I decided I needed to get my butt off the couch and get my 30-year-old body back :) I was actually in the best shape of my life in 2010 right after I got divorced, but I'm remarried now and I've put on a few pounds. My husband and I just started Insanity - we are in week 2. We are only doing it 4 to 5 times a week since we like to do it together to keep ourselves accountable and that's all our schedules can handle right now. Calorie intake is 1200 a day - I've heard people say that's not enough, but I lost 4 pounds the first week. However, this week I gained one pound. Could that be due to the calorie intake? I'm not eating back my burned calories either. I think I am burning about 300-350 calories with Insanity workouts. My main goals are to 1)lose weight 2)muscle definition 3)be able to do just ONE real push-up since I've never been able to in my entire life. Also, I am not following the Insanity meal plan, just using MFP food diary, but remembering I need mostly protein and vegetables with a little fruit and carbs. I'm not a big fan of dairy (no yogurt or milk at all and only occasional cheese. I eat eggs probably once a week). Should I incorporate dairy more for protein? The reason I don't care for it is because most dairy is highly processed. Any advice would be appreciated. Here are my stats:

Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 153
    Goal weight: 135
    Calories: 1200
    Workouts: Insanity 4-5 times per week

Thanks!

Julie
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hello 40+-ers!

I ate way too much all of the evenings of the weekend. Yes, my calories were very controlled all day long, but somehow that just ended up with binge-blowback all the evenings. So, I have to work on some different strategies, and I haven't quite figured those out.

Because I do my month-end reporting this week, I do plan on skipping any restaurant events and sticking close to home to manage all calories. Never worried about getting my work-outs in - that's such a "constant" for me.

But, I might try and get out for a walk any evening that it isn't raining. Hope springs eternal!

Today, I lift!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Where the heck is everybody??

My lifting session went great - was a little bit long, but that's because there was quite a bit of single-leg work in it. So, I'm fine with it running long once in awhile.

The sun was out - was tough coming back to work, knowing it's supposed to thunder-and-rain every evening this week (but be sunny and warm every working day - DRAT!).

Despite my eating debacle this weekend, my body is still looking pretty good. I think skin is definitely shrinking around some of the areas that have lost the MOST body fat. Well, that and the lighting at the gym is pretty forgiving....
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Happy Monday~ Things are just quieting down here at work today. I had to finish up a report from Friday and my weekend was absolutely crazy. My laptop caught fire and is no more. :brokenheart: Fortunately my hubby was able to put it out before there was any damage to anything else and no one got hurt. I'm hoping to find someone who can help retrieve some of the things on the hard drive as I had all of my pictures on there as well as some other documents. It was a big mess to clean up as the room filled with smoke and everything stunk. YUCK! :sick: I was at the gym when it happened- I probably would have totally freaked! :noway: Sunday we went and had dinner with my younger daughter and her fiancé at Olive Garden. I indulged a bit but knew I was going so I saved the majority of my calories for it.

I hit the gym this morning and had a good work out!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    YOUR LAPTOP CAUGHT FIRE?????????????????????

omg
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    No lifting today. Will keep calories in check. I am not going "ultra-low" on calories anymore. Just a steady drip-drip-drip for fat loss. I guess I'll be lucky to get 0.5 lbs per week at this point. It *really* is like watching paint dry!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    YOUR LAPTOP CAUGHT FIRE?????????????????????

omg

It really did! No good at all! The battery overheated and started shooting flames out the back of the laptop. Very scary to say the least! Haven't heard yet if I will be able to retrieve any of my stuff yet or not. We'll see...

It was a Jake day today and it has been very warm and humid here this week so I went out and walked early this morning (6:15) 'cause I know I will not want to do it later.