40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    47 pounds is AWESOME!! How can they NOT notice?!?

NSV last night! 165 pound deadlift - new personal best plus I beat my last kettlebell swings total by 4! The kettelbell swings were harder than the deadlifts!!

Started the bible study "Made to Crave" and I am really enjoying it! "Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial"
    I Corinthians 10:23
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    new beg! you will blow their minds! You have nothing to worry about! You are awesome!

Nice lift LBN!

I agree kelly that you should show us some pics! ; )

I couldn't sleep last night so I stayed up till 4 am cleaning! lol By the time I took a 3 mile hike with the hubby I had walked 17,213 steps, Hills on the hike amounted to 40 flights of stairs, walked 7.28 miles and burned 3035 cals according to my Fitbit! lol a bit insane! I logged what I could on here and ate my 1200 cals then MFP told me if every day were like today I would weigh 115 lbs in 5 weeks! Ha! They are so funny sometimes! But hey the house is cleaner! ; )

Have a good night cool kids! ; )
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    Well done PoF! I am jealous of your energy level.

Saw the doc yesterday and it's a no go on free weights (except for curls) but I am cleared to use machines. Plan on joining a gym this weekend.

Up to 7.5 minutes on the elliptical before any hip pain (doc also says I may have limit that) and 42 push ups.
  • rdewald58
    rdewald58 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, its been a few days since I've posted due to being on vacation and I see we have several newcomers to the group. Fantastic!!! Beeps - What a great idea to set up a group for 40 plus'ers like ourselves.

Just got back from Colorado Springs after spending 2 days with my brothers and sisters attending our yearly card party get together. 1,350 miles and 4 sore cheeks later (2 from laughing so hard and 2 from riding so far) its back to the regular daily workouts. After eating, drinking, eating some more, drinking some more, etc (I think you get what I'm saying here) I was totally afraid to weigh in. My wife and I did walk for 60 minutes each morning so that must have kept my metabolism in working order. Shockingly though, I had only gained 1.5 lbs and should be able to lose that after a couple workouts... Whew!

I get measured again in 2 weeks so I',m excited to see if I've lost any additional inches. I'm really working my ab's and stomach area (that Special K pinch is sure hard to lose) in hopes of dropping another pant size. If its not in the cards to do so, then I'll live with what I've got. We start another 12 week weight management session this Monday at work and I'm excited to be in the "Biggest Competition" again. We'll see how it goes.

Well, its hump day and everyone have a great rest of the week exercising and seeing results.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    princessofred - test the mfp theory and see if you CAN get to 115 in 5 weeks!

Hitem20 - why does your dr say "no" to free weights?? Can you explain dr's logic, please? If you can use "machines", you can use free weights - this is nonsense to me.

rdewald - I'm not the "originator" of this thread....but, am happy to take Alf's credit, lol!

Today, I lift! Today, I manage my calories better (last night was a DOOZY!).
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I will try to post some pics when I have time on my computer at home. My desk top is sooo sloowww! It takes forever to upload photos. We haven't decided if we are going to get a new laptop or not. My hubby was totally freaked out about it catching on fire. The good news is that we were able to get photos and documents off from the hard drive!

Today is my rest day! Watching the calories and trying to be good. Although, I did make some brownies last night. I haven't had any in a long time and I had some extra calories to indulge. They were so good!
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    Hitem20 - why does your dr say "no" to free weights?? Can you explain dr's logic, please? If you can use "machines", you can use free weights - this is nonsense to me.

I have a neck/spinal disease and the free weights (as you know) require much more control and you are at a greater risk of injury by using them. My doc is a gym rat so I have total trust in him and he also limits his heavy free weight lifting as he gets holder because of the damage that can be done to your joints and tendons.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Well, Hitem, that bites. I would hate that. And, I hate it for you that your disease keeps you from free weights. Boo.

Kelly Sue - don't let the "fire" situation keep you from using technology!! Now, if it's because you wanna try pads instead of laptops, YAY!

I had a good lifting session - this particular "day" I've only done once before - which is odd since I'm 8 weeks into this program. So, anyway, I really liked the order of moves, etc., today. I even gave my shoulder a little bit of a work-out (10 lb DBs only) by doing some shoulder presses and some front/lateral raises. It's still recovering from injury, and I desperately need to make sure I can kayak in Hawaii....but, my shoulder measurement went down 0.5" last month, so I really don't like that either!

Anyway, busy day at the office, just popped in to say "hi"!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I met up with a gf and we did a VERY LEISURELY walk last night (she has bruised ribs and couldn't do anything taxing). I REALLY LIKED IT! Maybe it was because it was "social" or maybe it was because the weather was lovely. I'm going to try and keep up that habit....I always pressure myself to get in "brisk walks" - which I then FLAKE on. But, if I just give myself permission to "leisurely walk", I get outside, which is really important to my mental health!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    44 and want to be healthier, on day 4 of MFP and saw 2 pounds come off

weekends are tough for me because I have a business where I make lots of custom wedding cakes on weekends, everything made from scratch by me, and it is so hard not to eat it especially when I trim cakes and mix the frosting

current weight is 266 and I am only 5'2"

having a slew of health problems, and I think much of the problems will relieve with weight loss-- my current issue since starting to change my diet is reflux- it is making me miserable, anyone else have reflux kick up when they changed their diet to a healthier one?
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new faces! I love all the pics! My page is open so ya'll can go see what pics I have there. Will have to find a good before and now to post. plus I can't seem to figure out how to post one here either! lol :blushing:

Beeps I do have some free weights at home and a bowflex mach (that is in pieces at the moment!) I have no idea where to begin! Guess I need to make time to go down to the gym and get some personal trainer help! ; ) I so want to get rid of this tummy but have to keep the hernia I have in mind too! Trying to tighten up so I don't have to have surgery on it, which the Dr says can be done!

Well am working this weekend so have some fun for me cool kids!

xoxo Chelle

I had hernia surgery (umbilical hernia) in Feb 2012. I already have another (and much larger) one. Not sure what to do about it really.

Good luck on fixing it yourself- mine started to make me really nauseated and ruined my sex life, so I had to go ahead and have surgery. Not sure if I will this time or not- I know building stomach muscle can worsen it because it tightens the muscle around the protruding intestine and causes a strangulation. If you start to notice changes in size and shape of stool, get to the doctor right away.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I met up with a gf and we did a VERY LEISURELY walk last night (she has bruised ribs and couldn't do anything taxing). I REALLY LIKED IT! Maybe it was because it was "social" or maybe it was because the weather was lovely. I'm going to try and keep up that habit....I always pressure myself to get in "brisk walks" - which I then FLAKE on. But, if I just give myself permission to "leisurely walk", I get outside, which is really important to my mental health!

I've been walking with a girlfriend for 10 years now! Our walks are 3 miles of "leisurely" tugging at 6 dogs between us! It takes us 45 - 50 minutes to go those 3 miles so definitley not a brisk pace! LOL

My husband says it is our therapy time, not our exercise! He is soooo right! We miss each other so much during vacations, etc! Hubs doesn't realize she is the only reason he is still breathing!! "Hand me the knife, LB! He isn't worth jail time!" LOL

It hasn't really helped me lose weight but my pear shaped body no longer holds weight in my hips. I can also outwalk the hubby and kids when we go on vacation anywhere. They cannot keep up with me in pace or distance! So I definitley see some health benefits of our "leisurely" strolls!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hi All! So want to say "Happy Friday" since it is my Friday, but I won't. Looking forward to having an extra day off. Jake will be with us, of course! I'm hoping to take him to a local fish hatchery as he loves to watch the fish. It depends on the weather though. They're saying there's a 30% chance of rain. I will walk in the morning before Jake arrives. I love my walks. Now most are power walks, but I just find that the time to myself is refreshing and stress relieving!

I lifted today- legs, shoulders and chest. Still pretty light, but I am starting to notice that I have a small bit of definition- NO pics yet as there is still too much jiggly stuff there :noway: .

Have a good day everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Have a great weekend, kelly sue!

LBNOakland - my mom always had a 'walking partner'...I think it must have been awesome for her, because she was a SAHM. I've had running partners in the past, and even a walking partner about 2 years ago, but since then, it really is MY schedule that is 'too flaky' to permit "same time/same place" style of joint-fitness. Boo.

I'm going home for a beer.

and then a walk.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    having a slew of health problems, and I think much of the problems will relieve with weight loss-- my current issue since starting to change my diet is reflux- it is making me miserable, anyone else have reflux kick up when they changed their diet to a healthier one?

I've found the reflux has actually gotten better with the healthier diet, probably because I don't drink as much (alcohol always aggravated it for me). Hopefully you'll find it's just a temporary adjustment. But ooh, wedding cake business! That sounds awesome, and yet super difficult from a diet perspective.

And Beeps, I'm jealous of your beer! Oh well, the hubs and I are going away for the weekend and I am sure there will be some wine involved. Today I took it super easy--I went to the gym, but spent most of the time stretching, doing the exercises for my lower back that the physical therapist recommended, and rolling around on the foam roller and cursing from the pain. Note to self: keep it down when screaming the F word in the office gym.
  • rdewald58
    rdewald58 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Top of the mornin everyone. TGIF and the weekend is upon us. It seems like the week went sailing by, but hey, nothing wrong with that. Looking forward to a relaxing weekend spending time with our grandson and logging in some bike riding out at the lake.....My son wants me to smoke some ribs with some Mango Chipotle Rub that I came across, so we'll see how that goes. Might as well throw some jalepeno poppers in there also. Yum Yum.....

Its been a great week for exercising, I recorded my lowest weight ever yesterday and I'm pumped..... I added jump roping into my exercise regime and "whoa", does that speed up the ol heart rate.....

Everyone have a great day, to include the weekend and see you all back on Monday.

rd
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    "Note to self: keep it down when screaming the F word in the office gym." <<<--- RM10003, that's the FUNNIEST comment i've read in a LONG TIME! thank you!!

rdewald - yay for "lowest weight ever"!! THAT'S AWESOME!!

Today I get to lift! In fact, including today, I probably only have 4 more lifting sessions until holidays. Eeeeekkkkk!!

It's a long weekend here in Canada, so the weather is supposed to be GLORIOUS and for the first time, all summer, NO COMPANY! So, I am SUPER-stoked to just have some "decompress" time on the horizon.
  • princessofredrock
    Options
    Great work rde!

Nice Beeps! Have an awesome weekend!

Hubby is in Utah with his business partner at a conference. So it's just the boys and I. We hiked yesterday and I took them out to lunch. The gods tried to rain on our hike and my boys said to the sky "bring it on"! It did rain harder! lol We all just laughed and kept on walking!

Here is a little music to start off your weekend! http://youtu.be/j6nhMkhqtn4 "just got paid" NSNYC.

Time to get my booty in gear! Take care and keep rocking it cool kids! :)
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys! Quick drive by to say hello.

My staycation starts in exactly 43 minutes :drinker:

Thank you all for your support on my panic attack the other day, I'm totally over it :ohwell: (I think) and looking forward to seeing the ladies tomorrow. I have yet to decide what to wear (pool party/shrimp boil), but I'll feel confident no matter what. BTW not wearing a bathing suit, not that brave yet!

Looking forward to starting my strength training month on Monday, hoping to get some big muscles.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. I will report after my social on Saturday.
  • princessofredrock
    Options
    Hope you all had a great weekend!

Can't wait to hear on your gathering newbeg!

I measured this weekend and am down another inch on my tummy, hips and thighs! wooo hooo! And my gracious 7 yr old said I didn't look like I was pregnant any more! It's great to be and look pg, not so hot if your not! My total inches off so far are 7 off tummy, 5 off hips, 2 off thighs and 1/2 off my arms. That lovely wiggly arm issue is going away!

My boys and I had fun all weekend but can't wait for the hubby to come home tonight!

Make Monday a moving and grooving one! ; )