40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• bethjpsu
    bethjpsu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all - would like to join this as well! back from vacation and back on track this week! :-)
  • rdewald58
    rdewald58 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats Princess - Feels great when you see results.... Keep it going.......

Had a great weekend... I recorded another redord low weight on Sunday morning after working out in the yard for 3 hrs and riding for 2 hrs on Saturday. It was plenty humid out and it paid off.

We start a new 12 week weight management session at work today and I'm excited.

Everyone have a great day.
    rd
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think the heat is going to kill me. I went outside to plant some things in the yard with my husband yesterday (bless his heart, he is trying so hard to help me lose weight and so he thinks I can go out and do this with him to get me to move around some, even though I usually turn all cranky on him when it's hot)
    ANYWAY, heat index was 106 and I was just pouring sweat. I don't think I stayed out there more than ten minutes- I just could not take it, I was sweating so much and the bugs were biting me on my face (can't spray repellent on my face!), it was pretty awful really. I do hope as I get smaller that I will sweat less.

I am going to start my exercising indoors on the tread mill and keep all my exercise indoors until fall when it cools down some. The deep south is just too hot in the summer!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids! Not feeling quite up to par today. We had a busy weekend. I had Jake during the day on Friday and we went to see the fish which he enjoyed once he woke up enough- fell asleep in the car on the way there :yawn: He went home for Friday night but came back on Saturday afternoon and played at Grammy and PawPaw's house all day and stayed overnight. He is starting to teeth and was restless throughout the night and awake a couple of times.

Sunday we stayed after church and helped set up for our Vacation Bible School for the kids and helped to "construct" a castle themed room. I glued, tacked, stretched, sweat.... for almost five hours. I am feeling it today. Skipped my gym work out this morning, but will most likely walk later as it is beautiful outside today.

Have a great day all!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hi there -

I'm one of the cool kids! I'm 42 and in Minnesota. Just commenting so I see this topic in my feed. Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
  • jlaplount
    jlaplount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well....under the topic of "Act your Age" I now have a pulled hamstring after a session of Fathers versus Sons whiffle ball in my backyard last night. Never pulled a hamstring before...any advise for a speedy recovery? Any thoughts on exercises that will keep me active so I don't lose what I've gained so far? I don't think it's major....I can walk without really limping. It feels more like a stiff muscle that I'd like to stretch...however, stretching it is somewhat painful.

Outside of the wiffle ball incident, I had a great weekend with my Son while my wife and daughter participated in The Dirty Girl race in support of Breast Cancer Awareness. Busy couple weeks ahead with a lot of work travel...guess it won't be so bad since I'm going to have to rest my hamstring anyway.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have HIT MY GOAL - and passed it. And am now trying to figure out how to maintain forever.

And yes, 54 year old women DO get good looks at the pool and can look fantastic in a bathing suit.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,987 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Today was supposed to be "lifting", but I'm typing this from my deck on a sunny holiday afternoon. Couldn't resist....not enough "lazy summer days" in my neck of the woods.

4 more work days and then a holiday. I've photocopied a bunch of "bodyweight" exercises that I can do while I'm away. It's a very ACTIVE vacation we've got planned, so I'll be doing WAY MORE on a daily basis than my sedentary desk job permits, anyway.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to it!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have HIT MY GOAL - and passed it. And am now trying to figure out how to maintain forever.

And yes, 54 year old women DO get good looks at the pool and can look fantastic in a bathing suit.

Congratulations!!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old and approaching my best fitness level yet. I am excited to see how far I can go by the time I hit 50. Age has yet to be a limitation but rather a benefit because I have been able to be patient and plan. The only downside is that I have about 15 years of taking poor care of myself when I lost myself in work. I do find it really cool that I can look forward 5 years and be comfortable with the time frame. 14 months has been great and I am looking to see what I can do in 60 month now.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi All!!

Hope you enjoy your day off, Beeps!

Welcome to the newbies! I was one just last week!! LOL

Sorry about the hamstring. Wish I could help!

Enjoy that shrimp boil IN a bathing suit!! How can you burn extra calories in the pool otherwise!!?

Have a wonderful week! :laugh:
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!! I have found the culprit for why I have not been feeling so great. TOM has arrived at my house and won't leave!! I guess I will have to deal through the end of the week. I did make it out for a walk last night and this morning in spite of my unwanted house guest.

Jake is coming over to hang out with us for a few hours tonight. I am, as always, looking forward to it. Love having him at the house.

Well, guess I'd better get my nose to the grind stone. I've got a ton of work to do today.

Have a good one!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Today, I lift!
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    Alienrite, congratulations on doing so well! I am in a similar boat and trying to reach a fitness level I was in back in my teens and early 20's.

Started week 3 on the 100 Push Ups app last night. I was not able to finish the last set which was a bummer. However I banged out close to 50 perfect push ups in 5 sets last night, so that has me feeling rather good.

I am now eating 90-95% vegetarian and have lost almost all wants/cravings for meat, fried food and sweets. Its amazing how much my taste buds have changed over this past year. If you would have told me a year ago that I would no longer crave hot wings, french fries and steak I would have... well you know the rest.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi gang!

You are all doing so great!

It'll pass kelly! If not I suggest you hike over to your Dr's office for a hormone test! See what's up!

Welcome newbies!

Let's see ...... kinda rainy here today for AZ but it is monsoon season! We need the rain for sure! Just as long as I can get my hike in later! Don't want to get struck by lightening! lol

Beeps- Hope you have a great Holiday! I found out the other day that where I take my boys for tae Kwon do, the owners have an awesome weight room! I have been invited to use it when ever I want! Too cool! So while my kids are at class I can LIFT! ; )

We are planning at trip to Fl in Nov. We will drive and travel with a camper/trailer and visit all our relatives out east! Should be fun taking the dog and kids across the country and back!

Keep up the great work cool kids! Love to see all of you who have hit their goals and are still working at more! AWESOME!

xoxo Chelle
  • cmb67
    cmb67 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just found this board, and would love to be a part of it!
    Me: 45 yrs old
    Was: 195
    Now: 165
    Goal: 135-140, where I felt my best
    I have an 11 yr old daughter I am trying to teach healthy eating habits, after years of obviously not-so-great eating that got me where I am.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you get to lift, Princess!! I love, love, love it!! Last night, I hit 175 on deadlifts 5x. Next week, shooting for 185. I passed my trainer's wife to the top spot on the "has-been" board. She's in her twenties! :blushing: We were laughing about the "has-been" classification. CLint, my trainer, said he is in that classification too. It just means you aren't on a sports team and not to be offended. I told him I wasn't offended. I thought it was pretty good to be at the TOP of the has-been board when I have NEVER been on a sports team and didn't do this stuff when I was his age. Wish I HAD!! :bigsmile:

I also flipped a rockloader tire 8x. It weighs about 500 pounds! Trainer stayed right with me and helped a little. Still proud! Love flipping tires! So empowering!! :glasses:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    princess - glad you can go LIFT while your kids are doing other things....THAT'S THE BEST!!

cmb67 - I'm trying to help my 10-year-old daughter be more "intuitive" with her eating....if she isn't hungry, she shouldn't eat. If she's bored, she has to go be active (not eat). If there's conflict she doesn't like, she can't solve it with food-soothing. With steady discussion and experience, I'm hopeful she'll grow into a STRONG woman armed with the RIGHT information!

LBNOakland - flipping tires sounds like DA BOMB! Good for you.

I got my lifting in-and-done. Going to change it up post-vacation...instead of 3 sets of 8 reps, I'm going to do 2 sets of 10 reps, and try and go 5 days per week, instead of 3. Good enough!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Rest day today! Keeping the calories in check.

Had Jake at the house for a bit last night. He is such a happy baby. We had a blast, as always. :laugh:

Have a great day!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm keeping calories in check, too, KellySue. I'm going to go off to the gym, again, at lunch.