40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Emmalusmom wrote: »
    Larro - I just read chapter one and it is really good. It made me want to read more. Let me know if you ever decide to post chapter 2

It's all there, you just have to click on the Naval Fiction Board Forum and go to the different chapters. Here is the link to page 16 of the forum, where they start. The later chapters are closer to the front of the forum {smaller page numbers}. When you get to further along, Chapter 84 got left out and added later, so look out for it.

warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/forums/67?page=16#.VK2-ZtLF82shttp://
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Good morning kids..

Still under the weather. It is 9 degrees, the ice from yesterday's snow along with the frigid cold is a force to reckon with. Schools are open 2 hours late again today. I missed 2 days this week from the gym. I have to muster the strength to get in there tonight. Otherwise, I will eat chocolate chip cookies til I puke.

Welcome all newbies. Hope you stick around.

I am with Beeps has anyone heard from Alf or Ruby. I think an APB is needed for them.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Need motivation not to talk myself out of going to the Y tonight. It's not even 10am and I've come up with a half a dozen excuses.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! It continues to be cold here today as well. It was a 45 minute drive home last night- normally 20-25 minutes- some white out conditions and slick! YUCK! :disagree:
    - Did some more unpacking last night- I might have it done by summer! Today I did have to go out an shovel so my son-in-law could drop Jake off safely. Work until 6:00 tonight and then home to unpack and clean and laundry. My younger daughter and son-in-law are coming over on Saturday to have a belated Christmas celebration. They were in Hawaii for the holiday. Still trying to stay on top of the healthy eating. I do great during the day, but it's the night time stuff that I seem to struggle with.

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Sylvarose wrote: »
    Morning all! Need motivation not to talk myself out of going to the Y tonight. It's not even 10am and I've come up with a half a dozen excuses.

Sylvarose, look yourself in the mirror and say I am worth every effort I take to become healthier. I am worth it. I am worth it. I can do this... I can do this... no excuses....
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool kids,
    Welcome to all the new cool kids. Nice to see the group grow. So many inspiring people on here.
    Carmel, as Beeps said - you INSPIRE me! Your gusto and drive are truly admirable.
    -
    Larro -will have to look your book up, when I have a spare minute today. (Am back to work)

Kate - your transformation is unbelievable! WTG! That is fantastic. Now, go buy some new undies and pjs. :)

Curious - glad B is feeling better and can now fly on his own. I did not realize you had separate residences. You may find it easier now to eat how you want. I found it much easier to lose weight when my husband worked away. He was gone for 20 days / mth. Now, that he is home every night, meals are different.

Kelly - hugs to you girl. You and your husband have been through a lot. Certainly hope things are turning around for him and he starts to recuperate well. I know it will make you feel much less stressed.

Beeps - hope your daughter is feeling better and your date night was fun. Love date nights.

sylva - get to the Y. Now! :D

starting to feel a bit better. This cold still has been dragging a bit, but at least my infection is clearing up. One more day of antibiotics and am done!
    Not sure what the workout is going to be for today, but I do have my food packed, so keeping my fingers crossed, it will be another good clean eating day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hi and hope all the cool kids are not too cold today!

I have had pneumonia since Dec 20th. Yesterday I was able to do a little bit of exercise with out passing out! Going to work out again today - my lungs are still not right!
    -
    Thank goodness I am working from home and can work out on my elliptical trainer and not have to go out side and breathe this 14 degree cold weather!

I have been eating like crazy because I lost a bit of weight but I am starting to get my body back on track and I am logging in MFP again. When you are sick, eating the healthiest is not something you desire. Getting anything down is difficult.

Anywhoo, I have been back since Monday and things are getting better!

Everyone, have a great week and most of all -- stay cool! Not COLD!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Howdy Cool Kids!
    I'm sending some of my luke-warm California sunshine to all of you under the big freeze. Today is forecasted to be pretty warm in the mid-sixties. Today was my 3rd consectutive peddle to work this week. Going for a streak tomorrow! I did a little better with calories last night, but still let my housemate (I rent a room to a Coastie) talk me into a beer, and not just any beer, but a Belgian style Imperial Ale weighing in at 304 calories. That put me right at the limit, including all of my exercise calories. I hear you KellySue, evenings are just hard! But every day -- even every moment -- is an opportunity to get it right. I think my tactic will be to stay out of the house until as late as possible.

Welcome to all of the new Cool Kids!

Sdereski, are you feeling better? You've been doing great with eating! What's your secret to the evenings?

Larro, that book is sounding great. I love a good adventure. I hope your oranges don't freeze!

Thanks for the empathy Beeps!

Sylvarose, of course you're going to the Y. :) It sounds like the last time was a real trip! Who knows what story you'll come home with today. Sometimes it helps to think ahead to how you know you'll feel when you're walking out of the Y at the end of your workout. You know you'll be proud and feel awesome.

Caramel, if you can't get to the gym, at least you're burning some extra calories through shivering! ;) I hope you're feeling better, and stay away from those cookies!!!

Kelly Sue, shoveling is hard exercise to be sure! Enjoy Jake and nesting into your new home.

Let's gang up -- in a loving Cool Kid sort of way -- on Ruby and Alf. I'll send a PM today.

Cheers to everyone.
  • stef123633
    stef123633 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Curiousgeorgianna, thanks for sending me a message to check on me! I have A LOT of reading and catching up to do on the group, I'm going to get back into participating here. Will take me a few days of reading the latest to get up to speed.

I hope 2015 had started out awesomely (is that a word??) for all of you. I am down 13 lbs since I last posted to the group, so even though I have been missing, I have been busy :-)

Stay warm and have a great day everyone!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I'm kind of bummed. The weight management site that I initially joined in 2012 is closing down in a couple weeks. The food log over there is so great and easy to use and easy to convert serving weights. Lots of people/friends over there scrambling to find another logging site. Good thing I decided last Spring to check out MFP. I learned so much from that other site and its members. Truly life saving. I've recommended MFP to several of them, and maybe we can set up a group. We'll see.

Well, if the commute to work this week is any indication, it looks like everybody is back to work now. Bumper to bumper. Oh joy. I sure enjoyed the light traffic during the holidays.

We've been having record high temperatures this week. Pushing 70 degrees. I feel bad for those dealing with the extreme cold temps. The coldest place I ever lived was Fort Wayne Indiana for a year and half in my late teens. We skipped happily back to California. It's been perfect walking weather here, so I've upped my walking sessions. I gained almost 5 pounds since Thanksgiving and need to shave those off and get back on track.

I guess I'm going to have to set up and appointment to have my teeth worked on. I've been procrastinating. I need an implant, among other things, and was so busy last month with work, just didn't have the time. I guess no more excuses. Ugh.

I hope all of you who are feeling under the weather start feeling better soon. So far this season I've escaped any sickness. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. Ha! Working in an office with nearly 400 people, and going up and down the elevator with people so much, I always expect to catch some bug from one of them, but it rarely happens.

Welcome to all the new cool kids!

Better close and get back to work. Have a lovely day everyone.
  • MomFLYer
    MomFLYer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Went to the Doctor's on Tuesday for my arthritis & a medication review, Rheum Doc did some adjustments & I'm not in as much pain and did well at work yesterday. She also said that if I take care of my joints, I can work full-time as a Nursing Assistant, but that if I don't, the joints will put me out of work. So I plan to take care of myself! lol
    Primary Doc adjusted my blood pressure meds a tad, was glad to see I was being successful at losing a little weight & I'll be seeing her again next month to see if the adjustments helped any (and I'm sure it's also a little push to make sure I'm still losing - no pressure! no pressure! lol).
    Today I set up appointments with the eye doctor & fought with my prescription company where THEY CASHED MY PAYMENT BUT DIDN'T RECORD MY PAYMENT!!!! So now I have to send them a printout of the cleared check - which I sent to them in THEIR envelope to THEIR address that THEY sent to me! ARGH! But, first time I've EVER had a problem with this company....
    And now for lunch!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool Kids! Curious and Caramel thanks for sending a message out to me.

I am still hanging in there. I have been struggling with the night eating too & the left over holiday treats need to go somewhere other than me.

I did make a new home gym area at home over the holiday break and have all my equipment together now in a great designated area just for the gym. Beeps- I picked up my dumbbells and started lifting heavy. It was much easier to find time during my vacation holiday time to workout....back to work and need to push myself to get a solid workout routine. I did get a Vivosmart activity tracker for Christmas so that has helped motivate me.

Sylva - get to the Y today, you are worth it. Remember to work hard and make the most of your 60 minutes for YOU!!

Hello to everyone and try to stay warm. It is around 1 degree F today. Brrrrrr
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Cold Cool Kids.

It's good to hear from everyone. I had office relief today as my boss has a cold allergy :o She is not one who enjoys anything below 50F and it was 19F this morning when I got up. The early hour of my departure cut my cardio in half, and I didn't lift at all. I had high hopes of doing it tonight, but I'm having my doubts now. I am so full from supper and the tub is calling my name.

Hope everyone is doing well,

Larro

PS: here are the numbers for the week.

21.4% Body Fat
    57.3% Body Water
    24.2 BMI
    173.1 Pounds

That is lighter than I like to be. I've had several nights when I went to bed short on calories, and it's catching up to me. Maybe I'll get a little of it back with that supper I ate.
  • Mzklutch
    Mzklutch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good evening all cool kids,
    Looks like most of you are getting very cold temperatures. Here is in Tx we are hitting the 40's and I am grateful to be away from WI where it is -20. Hopefully my son stays warm though. Stay warm, those of you who are in the cold.
    I hit the gym earlier this morning at 4:30 am and got in 60minutes of cardio. Tomorrow I will get my second day of lifting in too hopefully.
    Sylvarose I hope you made it to the gym, go slow and steady until you are at a point where it becomes a habit. I started out slow and didn't focus on intensity as much because my goal was to get to the gym at least 5 days a week even if all I did was 20minutes of exercise. So pace your self and set mini-goals. You can do it!
    talk later
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday All!

I am so thankful that the week has come to an end. I am supposed to have dinner with my younger daughter and son-in-law tomorrow, but my daughter has to come from Buffalo tonight and from the looks of things that might not be happening. Will have to wait and see how it plays out.

Cleaning and shoveling were on my agenda last night, and more shoveling this morning- that was not necessarily on my agenda, but it had to be done. No big plans for today, just work and some laundry. I will be heading to see Hubs on Sunday this weekend. He has had some serious issues with confusion this week and we think that he has also been having some hallucinations. Most likely because they pulled him off a bunch of meds abruptly- it does strange things to the mind. Hoping for a more clear week next week.

Well, I hope everyone has a good day and a great weekend.
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Back for another Day 1. Been in the -20 to -30 F with the windchill last 2 days. Have been MIA for a week as we had a death in the immediate family and it has been a rough week. I'll be happy enough to just get logging in this weekend. I hit the comfort food buffet pretty hard yesterday after the funeral.
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Morning all! Hope everyone is well and staying warm (for those in the arctic blast zone like myself).

Big shout out to Ruby70, Curiousgeorgia, sdereski,caramelgyrlk! Thank you so much! Your words of support and motivation really carried me through the day and to the Y! I had a great 30 minutes in the pool! Seriously, I can't tell you how much your encouragement helped me. If I missed anyone, I am sorry. Please know everyone's support meant so much.

Now my insight from yesterday. I've discovered a secret way to add more steps to my day...drink more water!! I've increased my water intake from about 2 cups to 6 to 8 cups a day and I swear I'm up every 20 minutes going to the bathroom! All the bathroom trips must have added half a mile to my day! LOL!

SR
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    43 here. Im calorie counting, using Fitbit and work out dvds at home for a week. Just ordered Nutrisystem for the convience and because I'm getting tired of planning my meals.
  • OneOddOne
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I want to be one of the cool kids too =)
    I am a 42 year old male, about 5'11" and currently 274 lbs as of this morning.

A bit of back story, in 2010 I weighed in at a peak of 380 lbs. My brother turned me on to paleo eating. At first I didn't believe him about the results he was having. When I saw him in person for the first time in about 4 months I could not believe the difference. I started on his program immediately. In about 18 months I had dropped 140 lbs. I felt great, looked better, my health was improved radically.

Then came the divorce, money problems and all of that. I gained back 20 lbs, but was able to maintain that weight for about a year.

Then I met Theresa lol. I fell in love, got happy, got lazy and got fat again.

On Jan 2 I stepped on the scale for the first time in several months. I was at 280. I had gained 40 lbs back over the course of 2 years.

On Jan 3 I started back on my paleo program. My new gym should open on Sunday, so my exercise program will start then. For now, I am sprinting up and down the stairs in the office instead of walking, and doing push ups when I can.

This is going to be a journey, but my goal for 2015 is to lose at least 60 lbs, drop 2+ inches off my waist, and slim down from a 2-3XL shirt into an XL.

My food intake goal is -1800 calories a day with -50 grams of carbs a day. So far so good.
  • carolchalmers58
    carolchalmers58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck