40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Morning Cool Kids!!!

Hope that every one had a fabulous St. Patrick's Day! Did a very painful 3 mile run/walk after work yesterday that turned into mostly walk due to shin splints early on. That's what I get for not walking to warm up as long as I normally do. *Sigh*

Yoga tonight after work and tomorrow I will attempt to run again. Hopefully it will be better. Will probably only do 2 miles this time. LOL

Hope that everyone has a great day!!!! :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Sad day. A good friend and mentor has died. He was my age, had type 2 diabetes and lots of extra weight. He was having serious health issues from the years of diabetes and lack of control. I think he just sort of gave up.

I am sad to lose him. And I am more determined to stay the course on lose this weight. I was bigger then him but better genetics have kept me out of the sugar issues. But I started this 15 months and 90 pounds ago because I knew the good genes would not save me forever.

RIP Steve. :(

I'm sorry for your loss. Staying the course is a great way to honour your friend. ((HUGS))

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi all,
    allen- that is dreadful news about your dear friend. So sorry to hear that.
    Alf - what a lovely picture of you and your granddaughter. You do look wonderful and of course shopping is what we girls do. At least that is what my granddaughter and I do. :smile: -
    Hatful -the teahouse and botanical garden outing sounds like a delightful way to get a taste of spring! I hear you on the long, dreadful winters. Glad the sun is starting to shine and the days are getting longer! :smiley:
    vomkey - beautiful family picture!
    curious - congrats on the weight loss! Woot! Woot! Great workout plan- you are giving Carmel a run for her money.
    Larro - that red ride sure is a beauty. Looks like a smooth ride too.
    mommy - great pic of you and the girls. Wonderful that they like to run with you. More motivation to get out the door.
    Beeps - you should have so photo bombed the shoot.

have been MIA, but have been going non stop. I have been working out daily (with the exception of yesterday). I continue to snowshoe and go to my exercise classes. Saturday was a full day of house cleaning - much needed house cleaning. Felt great. The sun is starting to shine brightly and at times, it does feel like spring is in the air. But that can be deceiving. Bright sunny day today, but the temperatures are frigid. It was -17C this morning (1F). It's funny how darn cold that feels now, when in the middle of January it would be a good running weather day. lol.

Am planning a cycling trip. Plan to head out in May and go for two weeks. So excited! Now, working on trying to find a good bike to rent instead of transporting my own.
    Not sure I will get much training in beforehand as we still very high snowbanks and not much shoulder on the sides of the highway....but soon.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day all! Had fun with the boy yesterday! Went to the library and McDonald's to play and then stopped at Teddy Bear Mountain(like build-a-bear). Fun! Fun! Fun!
    Here's a couple of pictures:
    lv3z00592rom.jpg
    txu0u81cqive.jpg

Hubby had a great day yesterday as well and took a couple of steps using the parallel bars. Very exciting!

No workout for me until Friday this week. This might be a good thing as I am still having some issues with the back of my left thigh. It is still bothering me quite a bit especially when doing things like going up and down stairs. We'll see.

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Today is a good planting day, and my cleaning lady will be here shortly. So I'm running back and forth between the garden and the washing machine. I'm a day late on my corned beef, but we had Mexican at Sister's last night. I have one of those 3 crock crockpots, so I sliced the brisket and divided it into thirds. One third just straight up beef, one third potatoes and one third cabbage. {Can I count the same time as cardio for cleaning, food prep and garden? I'm doing all three}

Got to run. Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,969 Member
    Options
    No workout for me, today....which is fine. I lifted m/tu and I will lift th/fr, too!

Saturday = cardio....boring, I know, I know....but, the time has come!! FLUFF-BE-GONE!

BOOM!
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well I only did a 20 min workout today bc I was busy w/ my 17 yr old daughter at our performing arts theater. She has a drawing entered in the visual arts part of the program there tonight! 6we1jriki6cv.jpg
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Larro, Lookslikefun

Stephanie, hope your run goes better!

Sdereski, sounds like quite the trip you have planned.

Kellysue, what a cutie! Glad to hear your husband is doing well.

Well so far it's been the usual. 6am kettlebell Monday and today and Kickboxing last night. Still finding my knee is getting sore, guess it'll just take a bit of time to heal. It's finally beautiful and sunny, though still cold. Should have gone for a walk with the kids but crashed on the couch instead! Have managed to make mac n cheese for dinner so maybe we'll go for a walk after dinner.

They've now delayed hubby's start on day shift so for the next week or two (hopefully no more) starting Monday I'm back to work 8:30-4:30 and we have a teenage sitter picking them up from the bus and watching them until I get home at 5. So not looking forward to the rush and constant go go go to get 3 kids ready for school, make lunches, dinners, clean up, home work, work out and whatever else life throws our way, while being back to work full time. Part Time (Home by 2-3) makes everything so much more doable. Wasn't going to be so bad going back full time with hubby on days as he would be home before me and could do dinner. Must remember to cook up a storm on Sunday!
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Georgianna Unfortunatly it was not as dry or as warm as I thought it was supposed to be so no run this past weekend. I did do lots of walking Sunday, did 17,149 steps that day.
  • 503ecc
    503ecc Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Tried to sneak in a workout at lunch but really hard to turn that in an hour. Probs won't be able to sustain that regularly. Looks like 5:00 AM again. Still got half hour cardio and 15 minutes of weights in.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wow, Mommylern5 that's a pretty impressive piece of art. She should be so proud of that. And faces are hard to do. It's great.
    Furballs sorry about the crazy schedule. Hope it gets better, or easier, definitely forces you to be organized.
    Larro, love the kayak. Sounds like a lot of fun out there. The three crock pot meal is quite impressive. That's really a great idea to change things up. You're clever!
    Kelly Sue, looks like fun with the little guy, glad your hubby is making progress.
    It looks like everyone is awful busy this week. Glad most of you are getting in a work out here or there.
    I am getting ready to go on a quilt guild retreat Fri-Sunday. There will be 13 of us going to a hotel a few hours away and sewing away like crazy. I have been getting my projects cut and organized and figuring what all I need to bring.
    I had to go to town today and go bra shopping (worst job ever) I thought I was doing good until you look in the dressing room mirrors. I have always had problem with rounded shoulders, my mom does too. So the bra straps fall off the shoulders all the time. Trying to find one that the straps are not too close to the edge of the shoulders isn't fun. Anyway, finally found one so I won't be fidgeting with my bra straps all weekend. Yea!!
    I am planning on bringing a nice salad for each day, so one meal is definitely healthy. And I am sitting away from the food table this year.
    I also am going to use a friends laptop to log my food because I have logged 60 days in a row and I don't want to stop.
    Laundry and packing tomorrow. Have a great rest of the week everyone.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Natalie maybe you could try a racer back bra? I've got one, just a regular bra, not a workout one and it had a racer back which is great for wearing with tank tops
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Bra shopping...ugh! I put it in the same category with jeans and bathing suit shopping!!!!!

3furballs, I've been doing the kettlebell swings at the gym, how different it is than using a dumbbell! Love it!!!

Larro, you sure took kayaking to heart!!! First outing and 2 hrs???? Don't forget the sunblock!

KS, jake has grown! So cute!

Welcome new members!! Keep it going!

My new vacation adventure starts next week on Thu. Can't wait but I still don't like leaving my son behind. :'( I've been eating really well and exercising. My plan is to continue with this until Wed. While on vacation I plan to exercise most days of the week. It should be easy because the hotels have gyms and the cruise. As far as food, I want to taste done good food etc but don't want to overindulge. I also plan to follow my 16:8 plan as much as I can. I will be watching my husband eat breakfast...I know there will be done complaining about that. Oh well, it is my body and he needs to understand. Any suggestions?

Take care!!!!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Options
    Hey alf, what's wrong with breakfast? I would think there would be a few good options out there for you. Hope you have a great vacation.
    I did try several razor back bras and they just didn't fit right.
  • ratbasterd3
    Options
    Hi guys - Glad to meet everyone !! Rat here , Im a 50+ yr old bodybuilder from the Oregon Coast who had heart-bypass for a blocked artery in 2011 , Ive used the last 4 yrs to get in the best shape of my life . MFP helped me alot to count calories , especially in the beginning and I owe part of my success to MFP . I went from a high of 242lbs/35% BF to 165lbs @5'5" and 8% BF in 4 years .

Im back now serious to cut again and enter a Mens over 50 bodybuilding contest (my first)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hey alf, what's wrong with breakfast? I would think there would be a few good options out there for you. Hope you have a great vacation.
    I did try several razor back bras and they just didn't fit right.

Natalie, I want to do intermittent fasting while on vacation 16:8 where I fast for 16hrs and then eat for 8. I want to enjoy the nice dinners on the cruise so I will be skipping breakfast. Yes, there are some healthy choices if I stick with the hard boiled eggs and the fruit. :D But most times I go for the bagels, muffins, pancakes, the omelette station which they drench in oil, salty cold cuts and fatty cheeses. Ah, that can get me in trouble right in the morning. I'd rather skip it.

@ratbasterd3‌, welcome!!! Keep us updated on your progress! I have thought about trying for a fitness competition. Some ladies I know have competed, not bodybuilding but fitness. I'm still thinking about it.
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Enjoying reading everyone's posts.. Seems I need to ramp up my exercise. Jealous of the kayaks. If we bought one, we wouldn't get any exercise, because hubs would use it for fishing.

Staying below calories, seem to have cravings under control.

Now have super skinny fingers.. Not kidding, seem to have lost most of the 7 pounds in my face and fingers, ready to lose some butt and thigh.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Options
    alf, good luck with the fasting. I would be afraid I would eat like crazy those 8 hours. the hotel I am going to this weekend has the make your own waffles, which I usually love. I have to tell myself, waffles are not my friends. I've been working too hard for senseless calories. I am going to try to make some good food choices while I'm gone. Another problem everyone brings goodies and snacks to share and it's all out on a table. I am bringing hummus and crackers, celery and triscuit crisps, and hope to have very little chocolate.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool peeps.

Welcome to the new folks ... what a great mix of people!

@larrodarro ... I'm a bit envious of your new kayak (used to have one ... lost in when a certain relationship ended many many years ago). I'm probably more envious that you can USE the kayak right now - it's currently -11C where I am. We bought a canoe last year, and I look forward to it NOT having snow covering it.

@alf1163 ... my "usual" breakfast is a serving of yogurt, a fruit cup, and a fibre muffin. One rarely sees me (or my stomach) complain :smile:

I finally put in a full 105min at karate last night ... had to take it easy with the right arm still due to the shoulder, and many kicks were not as high/powerful as they should be due to continued twinges in the groin muscles ... however, it was a boon to the psyche to make it through.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @mommylern5 - That's a fabulous piece of work. What talent!