40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• fitchick37
    fitchick37 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 last year, made a load of good changes to my life and work but the body/lifestyle thing got neglected so I'm late to the party but here now. Today I'm stuck without transport so wrapping up warm later for a walk. Pleased with dropping my first half stone (7 pounds) and committing now to logging everything properly.
  • IUFAN16
    IUFAN16 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Would love to join this group! I am 42 and I have about 50 pounds to lose. Could use all the accountability and motivation I could get. Thanks!
  • alexlosing2017
    alexlosing2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 40+ and am so ready for this! LETS DO IT!
  • wndlady
    wndlady Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Working on a 30 day plank challenge to pass the fitness portion of my next tae kwon do test. So far so good!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    @Beeps - love your workout schedule! I really want to get into more yoga, but there are no evening classes here. Only mid morning, which does not work for me. Keep saying I am going to do it on my own at home, but that hasn't happened yet either. :p

Did a walk / run last night. It was tough! Lots of snow, so it was like running in soft sand.
    Curled afterward. Good game, but we lost. However, we all curled quite well.

Am attempting a cleanse day today. Keeping my fingers crossed I succeed!
  • IUFAN16
    Options
    Can't anybody recommend a good work out DVD for a beginner? I just puke like to do something at home when I don't make it to the gym. Thanks!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    AOS Providence done
  • elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Turned 55 in December - have 25 to 30 lbs to loose. Put on in the past two years. I'm a runner( not so much the past two years hence the gain) I am discouraged that I won't be able to drop this weight. I am weighing food and under reporting my exercise. I consider myself active but put not very active in the MFP calculator. Happy to find a place where there is lots of encouragement. Thanks y'all.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Post holiday break.. glad to be back cutting and lifting. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New year
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    IUFAN16 wrote: »
    Can't anybody recommend a good work out DVD for a beginner? I just puke like to do something at home when I don't make it to the gym. Thanks!

@IUFAN16 This is a tough question to answer because there are so many types. I would suggest taking a look at the site videofitness.com and go through their categories and reviews to see what appeals to you. Once you have narrowed it down a bit you can take a look.

The 3 big players in DVD style fitness that are very different from each other that you may want to look at are
    1) beachbody (P90X, Hammer and Chisel, Insanity, etc)
    2) Cathe
    3) Gaiam

The first thing you should decide though is what exercise appeals to you and what equipment you are willing to purchase (and how much space you have). In my opinion the best exercise is the one you will keep up with and enjoy. If you don't like the exercise you will probably quit over time.
  • super50loser
    super50loser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun ! I'm in.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,929 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @ Beeps - Love your goal and plan. Go Get It!

I have a similar weight loss goal, since I NEED to get faster. :)

I hope you can do this! FASTER is a GREAT GOAL!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,929 Member
    Options
    sdereski wrote: »
    @Beeps - love your workout schedule! I really want to get into more yoga, but there are no evening classes here. Only mid morning, which does not work for me. Keep saying I am going to do it on my own at home, but that hasn't happened yet either. :p

...I detest yoga! I am only going to do it during my "online challenges"...because I really don't like it. But, it gets me away from any "eating" and it can replace the "stretch" I normally complete after lifting.

I don't think I will continue with yoga once the "fluff" subsides....mostly because I also don't want to spend (permanently...) 3 hours a day on "exercise"!! With some planning/luck, I can get back to 4 x weekly exercise once the fluff is GONE.

BOOM!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    My coach sent out an 8 week training block that includes additional swim/bike sessions to supplement my run training. Given our current run focus, each week contains 5 runs plus 2 bikes, 2 swims and 1 strength session until late march. One recovery day per week will be taken as either an easy bike or swim session.

Today's workout is an easy 5 mile run, followed by a swim session with form drills built into the workout yardage. I'm actually enjoying the swimming work as a nice break from the pounding of higher run mileage.

Feels good to be back into the training flow.

• IUFAN16
    Options
    @Tojo_73 thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated
  • mcn1276
    mcn1276 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I recently graduated into the 40yo club. I have been maintaining a 100 pounds weight loss for three years but I am hoping that 2017 will be the year when I will loose those last 20 pounds.

Can't wait to start this journey with you :)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I'm cool enough for this crowd, but I'm gonna risk it because today is my 46th birthday, and if you can't take a risk on your birthday... :)

I'm focusing on performance, and trusting that the weight loss will come. I'm 30 lbs down, 50 to go. In past years, I've done road races, tris, and open-water swimming. Now I'm training for an indoor rowing race. It's a new sport for me and I have a coach to help me with form and to write a good training plan. The idea is to transition to actual on-the-water masters rowing this summer.

Yesterday was a successful almost-race-pace 2k test, so today was a light day: a short run, followed by 3k steady-state rowing meters, and then a little haphazard lifting to kill time before I had to leave.
  • Truvanessa
    Truvanessa Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    @TmaccMMM Happy Birthday! I wish you an awesome year and best in luck in accomplishing your goals.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Tapout XT2: Drench XT done.
    seems i still can do cardio. lol
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Truvanessa wrote: »
    @TmaccMMM Happy Birthday! I wish you an awesome year and best in luck in accomplishing your goals.

Thanks, Truvanessa! You know what they say: The harder you work, the luckier you get! :)