40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,993 Member
    Options
    I hope I can get a walk in tonight....that will probably feel good. But, no promises!

Tomorrow, I lift.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    42 and healthier than ever. Have cycled over 1000 miles every month in 2012 and currently on 10600 miles for the year. On track to hit my 12000 goal
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    It's a lifting day for me, yay!

I *might* weigh myself tomorrow to see if my calorie-deficit has made any difference. But, I might not - and just let the month of September play out.

Have a great weekend, all!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did weigh myself on Saturday and was disappointed....yep, despite my caloric-deficit, I was UP.

Ugh.

So, scale goes away, now, until end-of-month measurements.

I will lift today.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Beeps, I did nothing this weekend and just feel like crap in general.

I hear ya on the weight thing,. I am wearing a pair of pants that were loose for me this past winter that now "fit". :grumble: I feel I am so out of control and really need something that will get me back on track!
    I had planned to make today a cleanse day and blew it by lunch time! :sad:

have been really suffering with allergies, which wear me down. Finally got some meds, which really help.
    The sun is shining today, so I hope to get some sort of workout in.

My youngest son dropped in for a surprise visit on Saturday night. He and I went out fishing and I caught the lovely salmon I am holding in my avatar. We had such a nice time out there. So nice to be able to go fishing on the big lake with them again. For many years, there was no room for me in the boat when dad and the boys went. Now each of the boys have their own boats, so there is more room. :happy:

Hope you're all having a good day!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I did weigh myself on Saturday and was disappointed....yep, despite my caloric-deficit, I was UP.

Ugh.

So, scale goes away, now, until end-of-month measurements.

I will lift today.

I have so much emotional feelingsover the freaking scale. I am the happyest when scale readings are to my favor otherwise, I am a mess. I have to STOP getting so emotional, please know beeps, I completely understand. Give it couple days and you will see a difference, or wait until the end of the month. Make yourself happy, you are putting all the work lady! Cheers to you!

I am all about bikinis all season and hope to parade in one even if its freaking cold! LOL!!!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and my kids friends all think I am cool, but my daughter thinks I'm a **** (oh well, maybe I should ask her friends to tidy their room??).
  • sdereski
    Options
    Hi all,

I managed to get my run in, but not my gym workout. I did go to the gym but I didn't have my key and the door was locked.

Had an Alzheimer's Coffee Break last evening and ate way too much dessert. So, it was a crappy, crappy day of food choices. My only saving grace was the run.

Will try and hit the gym again tonight. Hoping someone else is there to unlock the door for me - can't find the friggin key!

Welcome Glenn - any Ironman is way cool in my books! (yes, I peeked :wink: )
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thanks for the support, gang.....I really do prefer just weighing in once-per-month. It is what it is.

I think I'll just do some light cardio at the gym, today, and LOTS of stretching. It's suppoed to be a "rest" day and I'm really trying to prioritize "rest" into my weight-training equation.
  • sdereski
    Options
    Beeps - I've been reading NROLFW and I am SO confused.

Stage 1 workout A - it says to do squats. What kind of squats? You go to the page they tell you, and they are all different kinds of squats. Does it matter?? :huh:
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Well, I'm 43 now so can I join?

:)

Being 40 and at goal means my male colleagues/friends say I am a MILF. They don't mean it rudely or that they want to do it to me! EEeeks, but it's like saying, "A, we've noticed you're looking hot. Well done!"

Ha, this trend of younger guys fancying older women can be a pain when you go out and get chatted up by lads who could be your son! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski - The confusion about NROL4W will end, I promise! I started just with a body-weight squat, because I could not, at that time, get down to parallel....so, I had to work on getting to parallel, before adding any weight. Presuming you can squat so that your thighs are parallel, then you should start adding weight, across the top of your back, with a barbell. If you do not have a squat rack, or a power rack, to help you set-up for a backsquat with BB weight, then you can do goblet squats. (There are videos on all of this stuff on youtube.com - I find Mark Rippetoe's videos EXTREMELY helpful in this regard!)

I'm EXCITED you are giving NROL4W a try - I LOVED that program!

I'm about half-way through Phase One of NROL4Abs....today, I lift, again!
  • sdereski
    Options
    Beeps - thanks for the tips.
    I'll check out those youtube videos.

I have been going to the weight gym (that's what I call it) for over a year, but unless I have some set program or idea of what I am doing, I just find myself wasting time. This way, I can go in and get it done.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm with you....without a detailed program of "do this now and then do this and then do this", I'm lost. But, I find Lou Schuler quite easy to read, his programs make sense and there's IMPROVEMENT as you move through. I promise!

I got my lifting in today. Am feeling my legs, for sure.
  • sdereski
    Options
    Well, I did my first NROLFW yesterday. I didn't feel like the wet noodle they said you should, so I think I need to up my weights. I did barbell with the squats and hand weights with the step ups.
    The entire workout took less than half an hour - does that sound right Beeps?

Anyway, after the weights I did a short run, so I got a good hour of exercise in. :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sdereski, the work-outs in Stage 1, NROL4W, are quite short. But, don't be "fooled" - by Stage 3 and up, some of the work-outs were taking 90 minutes! (So, for me, I had to split them up over 2 days to fit them into my lunch-hour, frankly).

Yes, for sure, UP your weights as soon as you KNOW you have the 100% proper form and your body can tolerate the higher weight. Once you have form, you really should be lifting as HEAVY as you possibly can!

I'm excited for you, sdereski - I think you'll see NICE CHANGES in your body shape!
  • sdereski
    Options
    I didn't get to the gym on Friday. My husband and I made a trip to the city to run some much needed errands. We got a late start as we had B&B guests (which I totally forgot about!) Thank goodness it was Friday, so the stores were open late. It's a 5 hour round trip, so we didn't get home until almost midnight.
    I bought Insanity, and did the first workout yesterday. Man, that literally left me on my knees in a puddle on the floor. Am feeling it today.

Beeps, my plan is to lift Mon-Wed-Fri. We were going the gym those days on a regular basis, so we're going to continue, only this time, we will do the NROL4W.
    Really enjoyed the workout as it was laid out for me and quick to get through.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    That sounds really good, sdereski. Good for you!

I'm out of town Thurs - Wed coming up, so my fitness will be compromised that week. I will lift Mon/Wed this week and try and get back to lifting on Wed next week. Therefore, this is a planned "rest" week, re: weighttraining.

I have to smarten up on the diet side. I have been OUT OF CONTROL lately, and my waist has just expanded to grossness.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did get my weight-lifting in yesterday. Today is a rest day (I have to work through my lunch, anyway). Tomorrow I lift and then I have a rest "week".

Today will be day one in my streak of "good nutrition"....it's a start!
  • sdereski
    Options
    What is it all of a sudden? I am so out of control as well in the diet part, and I am hearing it from so many of my friends. Almost like we need to start packing it on in preperation for winter. :laugh: Stepped on the scale the other day and almost fainted. Heaviest I've been in years!:grumble:

Went to the gym yesterday and my key to get in would not work, so went home and did insanity again. 3rd day in a row. Really wanted to lift though.

Have a volunteer dinner to attend after work today, so will try and get some sort of workout in when I get home.