40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Sunday is study day and blog update day. My experiment for today. Garlic and rosemary snails with a blue cheese and herb sause.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Dynamix"=Done!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Monday morning workout done :) aaannnd I dropped a weight on my toe ... that I previously broke by dropping a weight on it lol

Hope everyone has an awesome day.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "P90X3 Eccentric Upper"=Done!
  • orionaimee
    orionaimee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    orionaimee wrote: »
    I am newer here and I have lost 20lbs in the last few months by kickboxing classes with some running sprinkled in along with tracking my food. I have stalled out a bit at 20 so tonight I am adding some strength training to the mix. I have never really used weights or machines before so tonight should be comical if nothing else. I hear it is good to mix things up to break through a plateau. Have any of you had success with this approach?

Strength training rocks!! Stick to it. Proper and varied strength training can improve a lot of aspects of your life. Your posture will improve, which opens up your chest and allows you to breath better and protects your back from injury. Everyday tasks like carrying groceries or laundry baskets become easier. Your metabolism revs up to push you past that plateau. The list goes on and on. But stick to it! It can take some time to get used to the exercises and to find the right weight. You got this!!

Thanks Betty! I have done two workouts now. I felt a bit silly on the first one finding out how to use the equipment etc but felt much better on the second go around. Thank you for the encouragement.
  • orionaimee
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »

Way to go! I couldn't imagine doing any of the P90X workouts at this stage in my fitness journey, hats off to you!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids....TRX done. This is my last week at the gym where my changes to a healthier lifestyle took place. My heart is broken, but the show must go on. Morgaen, my toes twitched the first time when you posted you had dropped a weight on it and now they are twitching again. Please be careful. B3, glad you made the most of the situation this weekend. I am sure there are more where that came from. I guess Larro is off again hiking. For those of you that run, I really admire your spirit. I am trying to get in the headspace to train for the annual run that my company sponsors. Have a great day everyone.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    orionaimee wrote: »
    gam3rguy wrote: »

Way to go! I couldn't imagine doing any of the P90X workouts at this stage in my fitness journey, hats off to you!
    P90X gets a bad rap. any of them are "doable". all X3 routines are only 30 minutes, and there is always a modifier. "do your best, forget the rest". :)

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    PAOLOPG wrote: »
    Hi I m new here. I come from Italy

Welcome! My family immigrated from Sicily.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    3m run. Ever-so-slightly faster than last week. :)

Now for the real workout of helping my teenaged daughter shovel out her room. :-/
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @b3achy - Good call on the race...Tacos and Beer beats 20mph headwinds any day!
    @Morgaen73 - I'm thinking "steel toed gym shoes".
    @caramelgyrlk - After your recent bold performance and Pulitzer worthy recap of the Coed Naked Yoga session, I can't imagine that a little 5k run training would be much of a barrier to you. Go get it! :)
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    @caramelgyrlk I feel you on the running. I try it occasionally, mosty to see if I can without passing out or puking, but I just can't get into it.

No focus pad class tonight which kind of sucks, but I promised my youngest we'd go for a bike ride and picnic. we all went with hubby and son meeting us there, the girls and I had a picnic and then hubby and I played our version of tennis. Basically we didn't have a court as they were busy and we used the wide path, bit of a workout but as I figured, I suck at tennis!

Need to get some good workouts in the rest of the week to make up for all the sweets this weekend. Wedding with cupcakes Friday night, my daughter's 8th bday Saturday with cake and mothers day Sunday with not one, but two Cinnabon mini rolls, chocolate milk and cookies!! Much working out needed.

Hope everyone has a great week!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, got my strength workout in today - leg day. Love leg day. Sometime it is so darn hard, that I am dizzy afterward. lol. Push day really bothered my bum shoulder, so am going to change it up a bit and work more on my abs than those upper body push muscles.

Packing tonight. Still trying to fit everything in. Suitcase is full, but not too heavy. Sleeping bag and hike boots take up a fair bit of room. Four more sleeps...... :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @Morgaen73 - I'm thinking "steel toed gym shoes".

^^^ Hmmm, I'm thinking this might be an interesting niche market opportunity...

Well, finally hit the gym today for the first time in probably a couple months...got the usual circuit done. Happy to see I didn't have to drop the weights, just did a few less reps than usual. Going to be sore tomorrow, but noticed in my race two weeks ago, that I'm not as strong as I was ending the season...probably because I've been a slug in March/April. So time to get back at it. Tomorrow is a paddle day... B)

• gam3rguy
    Options
    "P90X3 Eccentric Lower"=Done!
  • orionaimee
    Options
    Well the scale budged a bit today, I am hoping that it isn't a fluke. I am hopeful that it was the addition of the strength training that did it. Went to 9Round last night and will do weight lifting and running tonight. I leave for Hawaii in 11 days and wanted to be down another 5lbs to hit my goal that I set almost 3 months ago. What to all of you do while on vacation? I am planning on working out every day while there but I don't want to deprive myself of experiencing all the food and drink there. Of course I have a doctors appointment a week and a half after the trip so I am hoping to not put on too much.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning kids, I ran the dogs this morning and my oh my is it humid today. I wish this weather would stay consistent. Orionaimee, when I vacationed last via cruise, I woke up each morning and went up to the gym and worked out every single morning before I did anything. My indulgences were daily fruity alcoholic drinks. I maintained my weight. I think you will do just fine. Welcome all newbies. Gam3rguy, thanks for the insight on P90x because I was afraid to try also because I thought it was designed for people who are already fit. Djproulx, how about a naked 5k race?lol.. I will stop whining and train for the race. I would like to be done in about 30 minutes or so. I welcome any advice from the seasoned runners on here. Have a great day kids.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Paddling done - got a good workout in the chop and wind, though my distance suffered for the time I was out there. Was able try out a new technique that was mentioned on Saturday, and it really helped stabilize my board in the wind. Going to be blustery all week with some chop. Good practice for the upcoming races as weather is currently forecasted to be windy and choppy yet again this weekend...sigh...never had a race season with weather this bad every single weekend...it's character building.

@orionaimee - I haven't had a real vacation in a while. Most of my weekends out of town are related to my SUP races, so I get good exercise on race day, but also we eat a ton due to the burn (the races usually have yummy eats and beer for the racers) and spend hours in the car getting to/from the race. Biggest thing I do is enjoy myself, but log everything. That way I know how well I did/didn't do, and can make any necessary adjustments when I get home. Typically, though, no major adjustments are needed as I when I was losing, I typically only ate up to or only a little over maintenance anyway. My biggest issues were with the water retention from the higher sodium food and body repair from the race workout showing up on the scale when I got home. (For some reason, airline travel also causes me some water retention.) Once the water released, I don't think I ever had a real weight gain from that enjoyable break/weekend. In other words...enjoy yourself, and don't worry too much. One week or so of enjoying yourself isn't going to cause serious weight gain, and at most might result in a minor stall. It will look worse on the scale when you get home, but it's probably just water retention, so wait it out a few days as it will eventually drop.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Rowed 6k (new PB), followed by some upper body strength work.

There's a new guy at the gym that I'm fairly sure I went to high school with. But now I've seen him a few times and haven't said anything, so it'll be weird if I do.

Seeing him made me think about how unpredictable life is. He was a football player -- very fit. I was not athletic at all. Now, 29 years later, he's struggling to walk at a moderate pace on the treadmill, and I'm training hard for my next race. Life happens to all of us.