40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    As predicted, my entire upper body is sore today. Also predicted, bruises on upper thighs from resting the drum harness there while putting it on and taking it off. I'll have perma-bruises there until the season ends in August.

Today, rest day. Slept in. House cleaning, then dinner out with the family. Salad, pizza, and a dish of ice cream should do nicely.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Dynamix"=Done!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Eccentric Upper"=Done!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Shoulders & Triceps + protein hot chocolate done and dusted :)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing today?
  • stormimdow
    stormimdow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! +40
  • Alphabuena
    Alphabuena Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and a half and I'm curious about weight gain through menopause. This year has hit me hard. I'm not quite making enough energy to workout like I have in past years. Also I do t seem to care about food as much. I know I'll care tomorrow or even later in the day but in the moment I don't seem to be able to turn off my desire for instant gratification. I've joined a 6 week challenge for fun and knowledge to see what my measurements, body fat and some other things are.
    I love group fitness. I hate doing it in my own.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Welcome to all the noob's! I can't wait to read about your fitness adventures!

Lazy day yesterday. I ended up closing both Friday and Saturday, which made for some long shifts and late nights. With the way the weather is now, if I don't get out early, I don't get out! So, Saturday's easy run was on my new treadmill. I haven’t run on a treadmill in ages! In fact, I never could RUN on a treadmill. It always freaked me out to go faster than a walk. I was afraid I'd fall off the machine. Plus, even though I’m a pretty consistently paced runner, I still fluctuate my pace when I’m on the road. You can’t do that easily on a treadmill. I was pleasantly surprised that Saturday’s run wasn’t horrible, and I managed to keep a steady pace the whole time. There’s hope for me yet!

Pros and Cons of running on a treadmill:

Cons:
    1. Can get a bit boring. It’s definitely a mind game to keep going.
    2. I can’t spontaneously start dancing when a great song comes on. Yes, I’m a freak show on the road. Get over it.
    3. The room I have the treadmill in has a very low ceiling. I’m 5’6” tall and can touch the ceiling without even straightening my arms when I'm standing on the floor. I'm even taller on the treadmill. So, I currently cannot raise the incline at all.
    4. I’m pretty sure training on a treadmill does not adequately prepare you for a road race, and my next 3 races are on sand.

Pros:
    1. Climate control! Which is, of course, the whole reason hubby got me the treadmill in the first place.
    2. I can wear what I want. If this crazy old lady wants to run in just a sports bra and booty shorts, I can, and I don’t have to care who sees all my scars, marks, and crinkly skin!
    3. No headphones. I can just let my music play out loud.
    4. Convenient bathroom locations.

Overall, I was grateful for the break from the heat and humidity, but I probably won’t use the treadmill for much more than my easy run days. I can’t imagine doing my long run on it. Two hours staring out the window at the truck parked in the driveway. Meh. I’ll pass. I might try watching something on my computer next time. We’ll see.

Anyway, Sunday turned into a complete rest day. I'm still doing Hardcore 22 for my resistance training and on my XT days. It's a nice break from the heavier lifting of Master's Hammer and Chisel. However, @gam3rguy definitely has me thinking of hitting P90X3 after I finish HC22. Although, @caramelgyrlk 's inferno class sounds awesome. I should look for something like it near me.

Today, I'm just waiting for my Fitbit to charge before heading out for hill sprints. It's nice and cloudy with a great cool breeze today. Hopefully, I won't melt.

Have a great day everyone!!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx Is this a taper week for you, or did you race this weekend?
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This thread just appears on my feed. Will come back later to post my stats :)
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Pretty good weekend - I got in some much-needed punching bag time on Saturday and had a decent run yesterday - I haven't been running as much lately, and I can't believe how quickly I lose my running fitness. I can take a week off lifting and go back to the gym and do exactly what I did the week before. If I take a week off running, I feel like I'm starting from scratch!

Happy Monday, y'all.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Hey there fabulous 40 family!

Ran 3 miles yesterday and am doing another Strong Lift day this afternoon. Happy Monday!
  • nuttallf
    nuttallf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    that's great. Well done you!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids. Hope all is well. It's too darn hot. I see everyone is still kicking butt and taking names. Welcome newbies. Inferno continues to intensify. We had to run the stairs with 45 or 50 pound backpack. I am EXHAUSTING.
    Orionaimee, it's an instructor led class. Some women wanted power lifting while others wanted weightlifting, thus the combo class. Only 2 of us showed up. Go figure.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    @Djproulx Is this a taper week for you, or did you race this weekend?
    Yes, it is finally taper week! Just a few easy sessions to keep things loose, then we pack up the gear and head off to Mass on Friday.

The race starts at 7am on Saturday morning. :)