40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Riverwild77
    Riverwild77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! Great topic! :)

My goals are to finish P90X. I just started Phase 3 today. To run 1000 miles, or 1609 km's if you are Canadian like me, in 2012, and to run my first ultra race this September, a 50 mile trail run.

Somewhere in there I would like to lose the last 10 pounds too. That would be a bonus!!

Run a 1000 miles! That’s amazing!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I'm way north of 40. Hoping I can hang out with all you cool kids! B) HAHA!

Started lifting weight and working out more regularly about 5 years ago. Got down to 220 lbs. at one point. Then went up and down (mostly up) until I was nearing 250. Then was barred from donating blood because of high blood pressure readings. That was the wakeup call to get serious about taking better care of myself.

Started intermittent fasting this year on March 5th. I've had a MFP account for several years. Began logging my weight more regularly. Was avoiding carbs (lazy keto) and dropped about 20 lbs. in 11 weeks.

Then a friend who is a nurse specializing in working with diabetic patients asked me "Are you logging your food?" "Uh, no." She told me that her husband had use the MFP food logging feature to lose about 20 lbs. last winter. I promised her I would try it.

I'm glad I did. Logging has been very helpful at keeping me on track. Eating strict keto (most days). Have dropped another 20 lbs. since May. Slow and steady. Lifting strength seems to be staying constant.

I really like this forum and all the support from other users. Onederland, here I come!

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Stretch"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hey Kids,
    @gam3rguy - Nice Spartan work. You're gonna need a new shelf to hold all your 2017 bling.
    @blankenshipterry77 - Welcome. The hat alone qualifies you as Cool. ;) My diet strategy continues to evolve, but working with an RD has helped this year. I'm a cardio geek, so my workouts reflect that.
    @alteredstates - Nice fish. Steelhead?

Starting an easy training week today. Running the Hartford Half marathon on Saturday.

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm way north of 40. Hoping I can hang out with all you cool kids! B) HAHA!

Started lifting weight and working out more regularly about 5 years ago. Got down to 220 lbs. at one point. Then went up and down (mostly up) until I was nearing 250. Then was barred from donating blood because of high blood pressure readings. That was the wakeup call to get serious about taking better care of myself.

Started intermittent fasting this year on March 5th. I've had a MFP account for several years. Began logging my weight more regularly. Was avoiding carbs (lazy keto) and dropped about 20 lbs. in 11 weeks.

Then a friend who is a nurse specializing in working with diabetic patients asked me "Are you logging your food?" "Uh, no." She told me that her husband had use the MFP food logging feature to lose about 20 lbs. last winter. I promised her I would try it.

I'm glad I did. Logging has been very helpful at keeping me on track. Eating strict keto (most days). Have dropped another 20 lbs. since May. Slow and steady. Lifting strength seems to be staying constant.

I really like this forum and all the support from other users. Onederland, here I come!

Logging my food was quite eye-opening! I had hit a plateau when I started using MFP. It was like a brick upside the head when I realized I was seriously overestimating my calorie burn and seriously underestimating my calorie intake!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Hey Kids,
    @alteredstates - Nice fish. Steelhead?

You are correct, sir. Idaho on the Salmon River. Planning another trip for some river time in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I will return with photos of more fish.

• gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Gamma: Rip’T Up"=Done!
  • buxbert
    buxbert Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    46 here and cool as hell :-)
    I am starting again after gaining all the weight back from 2 years ago. I feel horrible - back, knees, hips,... everything in pain. In theory, I know how it works but I don't know how to make me change my ways. Tonight I am going to the gym first time in 6 months. I have downloaded 2 new fitness apps and talked a friend into going to the gym with me on the weekend. Ate healthy food so far today and drank lots of water - but afternoon is not the most dangerous time of the day for me. I might have to go to bed at 8 tonight to avoid eating... I am hoping to make new friends here to get all the motivation I can get to stick to MFP properly and hope to motivate others in return. Good luck and stamina everyone!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I feel like I should spend more time in here. Since I'm over 40 and all. I'm a little late to the party, but I just learned what a Spartan race was and I think I need to do one.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    gam3rguy wrote: »
    :p

3v3sjnz8yasb.jpeg

Awesome!

Any thoughts on the stadium series? Part of the fun for me is getting dirty, but I would like to play on some legendary turf. Thinking about hitting Lambeau the next time they come around.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    @gam3rguy - Nice Spartan work. You're gonna need a new shelf to hold all your 2017 bling.

• gam3rguy
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

3v3sjnz8yasb.jpeg

Awesome!

Any thoughts on the stadium series? Part of the fun for me is getting dirty, but I would like to play on some legendary turf. Thinking about hitting Lambeau the next time they come around.

I like the Stadium series. This was my third. There are some Stadium specific challenges not found on a mountain. That said, I do the mountains also. I’m SO not a sports fan, like, AT ALL...but I enjoy getting to run through “legendary turf”.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

3v3sjnz8yasb.jpeg

Awesome!

I like the Stadium series. This was my third. There are some Stadium specific challenges not found on a mountain. That said, I do the mountains also. I’m SO not a sports fan, like, AT ALL...but I enjoy getting to run through “legendary turf”.

Awesome pics!

I'm not a huge sports fan either, but there is something about being on the field in stadiums. Going to have to fit one into the 2018 schedule.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

Perfect. Mine are a jumbled mess.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Gamma: Extreme Circuit"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Good day kids. I was in rebellious mode at the gym this morning and decided against mountain climbers. My challenge was a 5 minute wall sit. I went in my zone singing Enter Sandman by Metallica while wall sitting. When the timer sounded I stood up to walk away and my legs felt like a pile of jello. What can I say? I get bored easily. I am now working a whopping 2 hours a week at the hot Pilates studio and looking forward to even more hot torture. Gam3rguy, love the photos and the stock pile of completion bling. Welcome newbies. Have a great day everyone.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Last night Coach programmed:
    Deadlifts work up to 5rep max, then dropsets of 10 reps x 3 sets
    Front squats work up to 3rep max

Needless to say I slept like a log after a giant meal. Dropsets are the devil.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm way north of 40. Hoping I can hang out with all you cool kids!

I'm way way north of 40! lol but they let me hang out here anyway.

• gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Gamma: Speed 3.0"=Done!