40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of picking up T25 - do all the workouts have burpees??? How are you enjoying them??? Are the moves repetitive across the workouts??? What do you find are the pros and cons of that program???
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Last night Coach programmed:
    Bench press work up to 5rep max, then dropsets of 10 reps x 3 sets NARROW GRIP

I got 85lb 5 rep max. My buddy Andrea got to 100lb for 5! The student surpasses the master. lol She was dead for the dropset though. ha ha!

Honestly what is Coach's deal with dropsets!?!?!?!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    Went for a swim at the local fitness center to get a baseline on the swimming portion of my sprint triathlon training. (Been biking and running already - time to start swimming too...)

What I found out? If I had to do an open water swim tomorrow? I would drown. Very humbling experience, that I needed. Swimming needs mucho attention, and I'm going to do just that.

Yep, I know the feeling. When is your race?

My training partner and I have one penciled in for May. That might change depending on how the swimming thing goes. There are about 4 within easy driving distance May through August so we are being flexible.

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've been thinking of picking up T25 - do all the workouts have burpees??? How are you enjoying them??? Are the moves repetitive across the workouts??? What do you find are the pros and cons of that program???

no, not every workout has burpees, some, but not all. there are moves that are repeated, but in different sequences and tempos. Alpha & Beta are mostly weights free, except lower focus and upper focus. "Speed 2.0" is all lower focus cardio with an option to swap it out for "Core Speed" that has burpees with a foot criss cross in round one...and single arm burpees in round two.
    Gamma is an optional add on focusing on strength. 3 out of the 4 routines use weights (including weighted burpees). "Speed 3.0" uses no weights...but LOTS of burpees in different combos...burpee/push up/in & out abs...burpee/push up jacks...burpee/ski abs...burpee/pike ups, to name a few.
    pros...short routines, but there's an added on cool down at the end. you're looking at closer to 30 minutes on some days. also, the "25 minutes a day for 5 days" is a bit of a lie. not counting the cool down, Alpha & Beta both have double Fridays. so, 50 minutes...or 25 on Friday and 25 on Saturday (bringing you to 6 days...optional "stretch"=7 days).
    cons...it can get repetitive...but the routines are short...and ANY program can get repetitive. there are a couple routines where it feels like you just start. no real warm up.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Went for a swim at the local fitness center to get a baseline on the swimming portion of my sprint triathlon training. (Been biking and running already - time to start swimming too...)

What I found out? If I had to do an open water swim tomorrow? I would drown. Very humbling experience, that I needed. Swimming needs mucho attention, and I'm going to do just that.

Yep, I know the feeling. When is your race?

My training partner and I have one penciled in for May. That might change depending on how the swimming thing goes. There are about 4 within easy driving distance May through August so we are being flexible.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to lock in your form and then build endurance for the race. Look forward to hearing more about your training and the race you choose.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Gamma: The Pyramid"=Done!
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Good morning all!!! It's another rainy, cloudy day here...good for my grass seed, not good for my tan...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts done. Have a 10k and bike hike scheduled with my scout den this evening. Going to be a great day!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Greetings kids, hope all of you are well. Leg day and TRX done. I swear my legs look bigger (lol). That will not stop me from lifting. Have a great day everyone.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Gamma: Rip’T Up"=Done!
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    Happy Friday the 13th!!!!

Still better than a Monday the anything...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @tcunbeliever - Agree, Fridays are always better...

Picking up my race packet and bib today for the race tomorrow. Roughly 14k runners entered in either the full or half marathon. I'm running the half. I plan to push hard for a PR tomorrow, then relying on the post race beer to help me recover. :)

• howan
    howan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Completely got off track due to travel. Have spent 3 of the past 5 weeks away from home on 3 separate overseas trips. Consequently, I am now 3 lbs. UP from where I started, grrrrrrr. Have decided to kickstart a new regime by following the Rotation Diet for the next 3 weeks (apart from the day of my best friend's wedding, where I am not going to begrudge myself some champagne and wedding cake!). And of course get back on track with the exercise. Onwards and upwards (or rather downwards!)!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,938 Member
    Options
    caramel - I bet you have great legs - keep lifting!

gam3rguy is still gettin' it done everyday. BOOM!

Good luck DJproulx!

howan - just keep stumbling forward.

I lifted yesterday, today cardio. And I am 1 lb down from the holiday-bloat I earned. So, that's a good trend. BOOM!
  • jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Relatively new on MFP. Thought I’d join in on this thread. I’m 45 and been doing WW the last year. Basically just going up and down the same few pounds. Two weeks ago decided to try lowering carbs and it has helped tremendously with reducing my cravings. So now I’m focusing on counting calories and keeping my carbs low-ish.
  • lorileahbcc
    lorileahbcc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to be where the cool kids are!

Had started slowly not too long ago - but now have a goal of losing 10-15 pounds by April for a wedding (mainly through calories and walking - a couple of herniated discs have killed weights/heavy workouts). Looking forward to being part of the group... need accountability as it is slow going without being able to up the workouts.

Howan - yes, keep moving forwards!!

Beeps2011 - Congrats on another pound down.

Jennordhavn - that's great on the low carb. I haven't tried it, but I may. I have killer sugar/carb cravings.

• QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    New PR last night. I walked thinking “it’s PR or the ER tonight, one or the other”! I got a 60kg low bar back squat. I actually thought it was 55. Math in the gym is tricky for me. Coach was like 60, nice! I was like, no it’s 55, oh wait...good thing I didn’t know it was 60, I would have thought myself out of doing 60.

Now to do this in an actual meet. All the state records will be mine all mine. ;)
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Stretch"=Done!
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options
    So one huge problem with depression is that it will sneak up and suck all your energy and confidence away. I've been in that slump for a couple months now.

But I'm slowly getting back into activities and healthy eating, and I hope to be a little better and stronger than I was before.