40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    Not gonna do a run today. Lower left calf felt sore all day yesterday. Noticed some mild bruising this morning. Gonna rest it up. Seems a valid excuse to blow off running.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Good day kids. Quikdogs thank you for making my day. I think it is so empowering to see women lifting. Gam3rguy, yes rest is a good thing. Hot Pilates and arm day. Have a great rest of the day kids.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Gamma: The Pyramid"=Done!

my calf feels better now. i'm still gonna rest it 'til Saturday, that's my Spartan Stadium Sprint. assuming all goes well with that, i'll resume the Rocky Run training Sunday or Monday.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

congrats to the race finishers and great 5k times!! WTG!
    @gam3rguy , you never seize to amaze me with your wild workouts and races! Beast!

@Beeps2011 - welcome back! Hope the trip was amazing!

I have done nothing! I have been on the road since last week - traveling, flying, driving, etc. I have done very well with my eating, so am still losing weight, which is great, however, I am feeling awful about no workouts.

I had some devastating news while away and still trying to process it. A very close and dear friend died suddenly and unexpectedly. She was a fitness instructor, personal trainer, fanatical about her health and diet. So, to say the community was shocked by her death is a complete understatement. As a result all fitness classes have been cancelled this week. When something like that happens, you take a good look at yourself and ask, if it can happen to her, then it can happen to me and I had better get my *kitten* in gear and keep working on my health and fitness. We are awaiting the autopsy results, but am thinking it was an aneurysm. :heartbreak:

I have a house full of company and am back to work, so am trying to figure out a time when I can get a nice walk in. Am hoping this weekend??

Have a great day all! It's been a beautiful fall. :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,267 Member
    Options
    Well, my 40th birthday came and went over the summer, and I didn't fall apart like a computer the day after the warranty runs out, so guess I'll keep kicking for a while longer, lol. Also means I can officially join this little club, instead of being a wannabe, lol.

Closing in on completing my second novel (first sold about 65 copies online... let's shoot for a hundred this time!) and due to life budget changes (aka two kids in braces) I had to give up my gym membership, so no more lifting for me for a couple years at least. Gonna take this time to switch gears and run my first half marathon next year! (Was thinking a full, but a half is more realistic.) I used to run track and cross country in school, have done at least 50 5k races, albeit the most recent one was at least a decade ago, so gonna have to ease my way back into running again. Figure the more people I tell the more peer pressure there will be to actually follow through and not let my old age "forget" my plan, lol.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed a short tempo run today with a running group. I don't run in a group. Now I remember why. I don't like to talk when I run, lol! I survived it though, and followed it up with a short Camp Gladiator workout. It really was short, and I felt like a needed a bit more. So, when I got home I did P90X3 Eccentric Lower. Now I don't have to do it on Saturday, and I can go kayaking instead....if TS Nate doesn't botch things that is!

Good Luck on the Stadium Sprint, @gam3rguy ! Can't wait for the pics!!!
  • frank8311798
    frank8311798 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hi all! Been part of the 40s group for a few years now. I find that low carbs is the only way I have success maintaining or losing weight. But I’m always tempted by those quick calories: Reece’s peanut butter cups and fast break are favorites, and donuts too. I’m always fighting the urge to buy them and splurge but know I’m in trouble if I do. And once I start down that path, weeks of work is lost in just a day or two. I wish I could put a lock on my mouth so I can’t eat whenever I please. I am about 5’11” around 185 but need to be 175.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Gamma: Speed 3.0"=Done! weird that I think I "enjoy" that one...even with it's nine million burpees.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    [quote=

What I found out? If I had to do an open water swim tomorrow? I would drown. Very humbling experience, that I needed. Swimming needs mucho attention, and I'm going to do just that.[/quote]

This was my experience that last sprint I did. Very humbling indeed.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    Went for a swim at the local fitness center to get a baseline on the swimming portion of my sprint triathlon training. (Been biking and running already - time to start swimming too...)

What I found out? If I had to do an open water swim tomorrow? I would drown. Very humbling experience, that I needed. Swimming needs mucho attention, and I'm going to do just that.

Yep, I know the feeling. When is your race?
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    Went for a swim at the local fitness center to get a baseline on the swimming portion of my sprint triathlon training. (Been biking and running already - time to start swimming too...)

What I found out? If I had to do an open water swim tomorrow? I would drown. Very humbling experience, that I needed. Swimming needs mucho attention, and I'm going to do just that.

I had to do a short swim earlier this year for an OCR. Yeah, it was not fun! I definitely wasn't swimming enough. Ok....I wasn't swimming at all! Lol!

Good luck with your training. I'm looking forward to updates on your progress!
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm about to lose my mind...I just looked up the USA Powerlifting National records for the deadlift in my age/wt division. It's only about 30 lbs more than I pull now, and I'm getting stronger all the time. I CAN DO THIS. Sorry Sally, your record will be mine.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    No running for me today, just a really good Camp Gladiator workout. No kayaking either. Sad face. We're still under a small craft advisory. So, I went to Tampa to buy a bike. There are now 5 bikes parked in my living room and 2 out in the bike shed. Only 3 people live here. How does this happen?
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday kids. What a long week. Sdereski, I am very sorry that you had to experience heartache once again. I am sending you the most comforting hug available. Tragic things often causes one to reflect. Barre/Pilates yesterday and Legs today. QuikDogs, you truly inspire me. You are right, YOU can do it. Have a great weekend kids.
  • bisto1971
    bisto1971 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Been part of the 40s group for a few years now. I find that low carbs is the only way I have success maintaining or losing weight. But I’m always tempted by those quick calories: Reece’s peanut butter cups and fast break are favorites, and donuts too. I’m always fighting the urge to buy them and splurge but know I’m in trouble if I do. And once I start down that path, weeks of work is lost in just a day or two. I wish I could put a lock on my mouth so I can’t eat whenever I please. I am about 5’11” around 185 but need to be 175.

Exactly same as me...
  • gam3rguy
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Little over 4 miles. 21 obstacles. Eff that spear throw. Nailed the rest. Almost beat last year’s time but for the 30 burpees at the spear throw.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    :p

3v3sjnz8yasb.jpeg
  • Riverwild77
    Riverwild77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’m 40, I hope I’m cool. Lol, feel free to add me as a friend, I’m curious as to what other people’s diet strategy and workout routines consist of.