40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    czvanut wrote: »
    I also got my 5K under 42 minutes, which I know isn't fast, but I'm getting gradually better. I want to eventually beat my PR of 32.

Nice work. If you're following a plan, you might be surprised at how soon you can get there. Keep us posted!

Thanks! I'm using the Jeff Galloway method. It worked for me before, so I'm hoping I can get myself back in shape quickly again.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,979 Member
    Options

Checked the link - THANK YOU - looks yummy. There is also a great jambalaya recipe on that Genius Kitchen site. I've made it several times. You might like it as well.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/low-carb-crock-pot-jambalaya-96660

[/quote]

Ooooh Thanks! I love Jambalaya and Gumbo too!

I should add that I didn't do the slow cooker with the chowder recipe - I just made it all in a pot on the stove - cut up the raw chicken and cooked it with the veggies - took about an hour total since I just let it simmer for a while so the flavors would meld. IT was still awesome.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    Possibly. I already have 7 OCRs, a half, and 6 5ks planned for the year. Don't ask me how this happens. I think I'm addicted to race bling......

My daughter asked me to do a tri sprint in September with her, which I'll probably do. It's a doable distance for me to swim... and you can touch the bottom one this one so I won't panic. I just have to figure out what to do about my glasses. Have you noticed that you never see people wearing glasses on these races? Lol!

Love the idea of a half in Vegas! The wife is a smart woman!

Wow, that's quite a full racing schedule! You may run out of room to store all your bling!

Sprint distance races are lots of fun. I'd say no worries about what to do about wearing glasses during the swim, just follow all the splashing and then put on your glasses in T1 when you jump on the bike. Easy peasy.

Regarding Las Vegas, I was the victim of a conspiracy between my wife and several of my training partners. When I said "no thanks" to the trip, several of the women in the group simply asked my wife to join them for a trip to Las Vegas and then on to hike at Zion in Utah. Next thing I knew, I found myself registered for the half! :)

See! This is how it happens! "Since we're gong to be there anyway..." or "Since we're singing up for one, we might as well do the whole series..." The next thing you know, you're doing 15 races in a year!!

Regarding the glasses...I was pretty much thinking the same thing. I would just pick a blur to follow...hoping it goes in the right direction...and pick up my glasses at T1. It was fun to cheer my daughter and her friend on at the last one so I'll probably "tri" it this year. ;)

As for bling space...no worries...I made myself a sign! This picture was taken for my Etsy shop and doesn't show everything, but so far it still managing to hold quite a bit.

vypbsju4nm9m.jpg

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Dinow wrote: »
    This dog is so cute is that a labradoodle or goldendoodle

Goldendoodle. :)
  • JennyOne2277
    JennyOne2277 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Need some help everyone. Just turned 41 last Friday. I got married this past June and was sooooo good at working out and watching what I ate, for the wedding. Then, this past fall, my husband and I decided to quit smoking (I know...yea, for being healthy) but I was also in the middle of taking classes at night.....and not paying as close attention to what I was eating, and def. didn't have time for working out. So, I literally gained 20 lbs in the past 4 month, like the snap of a finger. Now that life has opened up a little more, I'm getting back into my workout routine, but am still having the toughest time getting a grip on my eating. I want to try to eliminate added sugar for 30 days, and focus on protein, fruits, and veggies......but I can't seem to not fall off the wagon. I am shooting again for tomorrow to be my day (fingers crossed) and was wondering if anyone had any advice, encouraging words, or how they have been able to stay focused?
    Like I said, I am 41, Female and I currently weight 170, and want to get down to 135 as my ultimate goal. Please help :)
  • Armymedic2018
    Armymedic2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Where can this brit sign up?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Need some help everyone. Just turned 41 last Friday. I got married this past June and was sooooo good at working out and watching what I ate, for the wedding. Then, this past fall, my husband and I decided to quit smoking (I know...yea, for being healthy) but I was also in the middle of taking classes at night.....and not paying as close attention to what I was eating, and def. didn't have time for working out. So, I literally gained 20 lbs in the past 4 month, like the snap of a finger. Now that life has opened up a little more, I'm getting back into my workout routine, but am still having the toughest time getting a grip on my eating. I want to try to eliminate added sugar for 30 days, and focus on protein, fruits, and veggies......but I can't seem to not fall off the wagon. I am shooting again for tomorrow to be my day (fingers crossed) and was wondering if anyone had any advice, encouraging words, or how they have been able to stay focused?
    Like I said, I am 41, Female and I currently weight 170, and want to get down to 135 as my ultimate goal. Please help :)

Each person is different. Some people can cut things out of their diet. I cannot. I just plan those things into my diet. Some little tricks that work for me:
    -Keeping a bag of individually wrapped ghiradelli squares in dark chocolate at my desk. 1=35 calories. If I'm craving something sweet, I can have one, maybe two, and I just log them into my day.
    -I like a glass of wine. 5oz isn't much, but I enjoy that with my dinner, so it also gets planned into my day.
    -I try not to eat a "meal-sized" craving (pizza, fast food, etc) unless I've been craving it for several days, and I will plan it out several days in advance. Just did this with some fast food last week - but I scheduled it in, and didn't go over my calories for the day since everything else was planned accordingly.
    -I embrace the mantra of "I can eat all the things, just not all of it, all of the time." Keeps me sane!!

Just adopting this has slowly but effectively reduced my cravings for some things, sweets being a big one. I haven't had one of my squares in weeks (although I have enjoyed my occasional SO delicious coconut milk "ice cream" bar :) )
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Hammer Power today. I'm almost done with Master's Hammer and Chisel so I thought I'd start previewing the next workout I want to tackle. It's time for something new...well, new to me, anyway. I'm not a fan of P90X, but I love P90X3. So, I'm thinking of giving P90X2 a try. So far, it looks challenging but doable, and it doesn't look like it'll interfere too much with running like something cardio-heavy would. It should be interesting.
  • __TMac__
    Options
    Bailed on my bike ride yesterday (burned out and not making good decisions after a rough day), so I rode today at lunch and will do today’s scheduled yoga just before bed.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    czvanut wrote: »
    Ooooh Thanks! I love Jambalaya and Gumbo too!

I should add that I didn't do the slow cooker with the chowder recipe - I just made it all in a pot on the stove - cut up the raw chicken and cooked it with the veggies - took about an hour total since I just let it simmer for a while so the flavors would meld. IT was still awesome.

Yeah - I've found that either method works for most soups and chowders. The slow cooker is great for a meal that doesn't require any stirring or tending.

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,945 Member
    Options
    I had to skip my weightlifting today...too crammed at work to squish it in. tomorrow is just as bad. hope I get a thursday workout in.
  • MaelynMayhem
    MaelynMayhem Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I managed a short walk while my laundry was going. I might do another short walk before bed but that'll be late
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    “Body Beast Build: Back & Bis”= Done!
  • __TMac__
    Options
    The kids are home for a snow day, which would typically mean a lie-in for me. But the snow and ice won’t be here until about 9am so I took the opportunity to get out while I could. Hit treadmill at the Y for 3m. Back home by 8am!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    No Hammer and Chisel today, just a 5-mile slow and easy run.
  • juanwilly
    juanwilly Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Juanwilly
    30min@Elliptical/1m@track/weights x 2
    5.24 mi | 1:18:27 |

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Had a swim today, which was a nice change of pace. Did some warm up laps, then 5 x 50's with paddles/pull buoy, then 12x50's @ 1:20, then 12 x25 @0:40, with every 4th effort in each set done as fast as possible. After the cool down laps, the swim totaled 2250 yds.

The best thing about swimming is that there is no pounding during the workout and not soreness after, just some fatigue. :)
  • maishacopeland31
    Options
    40 years old need to lose about 100 pounds looking for great people to join my journey add me
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "Focus T25: Core Speed"=Done!